Twitter: ESPN's Bill Barnwell's NFL Team Offensive Rankings (Cowboys 6th)

ShortRound

Reaction score

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-offensive-arsenals-barnwell-32-1-ranking#dal

6. Dallas Cowboys
2018 rank: No. 30 | 2017: No. 5

Talk about a swing! The Cowboys headed into 2018 with Ezekiel Elliottand a laughably bad receiving corps, but one year later, there's a lot to like for Dak Prescott. The trade for Amari Cooper revitalized Dallas's passing game; Prescott posted a 104.6 passer rating with the star wideout on the field and an 86.8 rating with Cooper sidelined or in Oakland. Michael Gallup got better as the year went along, finishing with a 119-yard performance against the Rams during the postseason.

Jason Witten might not have much left in the tank at age 37 after returning from a year of broadcasting, Dallas' starting tight ends last season posted a combined line of 38 catches for 345 yards and one touchdown. Even a limited Witten should be a comfortable upgrade in offensive coordinator Kellen Moore's offense.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Well he does have the Giants at 8th... so... Rest of the NFCE:

8. New York Giants
2018 rank: No. 2 | 2017: No. 20

It's strangely impressive that the Giants managed to be so uninspiring on offense a year ago with one of the best arsenals in football. Obviously, trading away Odell Beckham Jr. is going to make any team's weaponry worse, but the Giants at least have a short-term solution in Golden Tate, who should help soften the blow of willingly trading away a franchise wideout for ... reasons. Both Tate and Sterling Shepard rank in the top eight for receiving yards out of the slot over the past three years, so Pat Shurmur will need to find a way to get both of his starting wideouts time on the inside.

Evan Engram struggled to stay healthy last season but averaged 9.0 yards per target, which was just ahead of guys like Travis Kelce and Jared Cook. And though Saquon Barkley's rookie season was less impressive under a microscope, it's fair to say that the offense was almost entirely dependent upon Barkley for stretches in 2018. With a better offensive line, Barkley could be the most productive back in football in 2019.

4. Philadelphia Eagles
2018 rank: No. 7 | 2017: No. 17

I don't think anybody is deeper at the skill positions across the board than Doug Pederson's team. If you took away their best player at each position, you could still roll out a starting five of Miles Sanders, Nelson Agholor, DeSean Jackson, JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Dallas Goedert. You would probably prefer that to the Jags' starters. Down the stretch last season, the Eagles started Josh Adams and then Wendell Smallwood at running back; it's not clear whether either back will make the active roster. No team has this sort of depth.

Zach Ertz, though, it's fair to wonder whether there's the sort of top-level talent we're seeing from the other teams in this top 10. Alshon Jeffery hasn't been healthy for a full season since 2014, though he did make it through the full 16-game season in 2017 with a torn labrum. Jeffery is unquestionably tough and has been a brutally tough out in the playoffs -- aside from the drop against the Saints -- but he also hasn't hit 850 receiving yards in a season in four years. The running back rotation has plenty of interesting options, but there's no guarantee that Miles Sanders steps in and hits the ground running as a rookie back. The sum adds up to more than the individual parts here.

28. Washington
2018 rank: No. 18 | 2017: No. 19

The investments Washington has made at wide receiver haven't worked out. Former Seahawks wideout Paul Richardson, signed to a five-year, $40 million deal, wasn't healthy in Seattle and caught just 20 passes in seven games last season. Former first-rounder Josh Doctson hasn't developed, and Washington just declined his fifth-year option. Jamison Crowder left for the Jets and is in line to be replaced by Mr. Irrelevant Trey Quinn. Jay Gruden & Co. drafted Terry McLaurin in the third round, but is there any reason to think Washington is going to start developing wideouts effectively? This is likely the league's worst group of starting wide receivers.

Jordan Reed and now 34-year-old running back Adrian Peterson. Derrius Guice, a second-round pick in 2018, is coming off a torn ACL, while Chris Thompson was banged up all season and saw his efficiency metrics crater after returning from a broken leg. An impressive debut season from Guice would give Washington a building block for 2020.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So............ if you didn't put any numbers next to the team analysis and you had to guess the ranking, after reading the Giants writeup, I'd have guessed like 15.

8?

LOL.
So what? Why are you worked up over the Giants ranking? Are you a Giants fan?

aria

Reaction score
All these pre season rankings are so dumb and fans tend to discredit or credit the person writing the article based on where the Cowboys are ranked. As soon as I saw the Giants at 8, I literally lol’ed to myself and automatically discredited everything else this hack has said, including putting us at 6.

aria

Reaction score
Worked up?

If anything I am the exact opposite. I am entertained and find the Giants ranking of 8 kind of funny.
I find it hilarious and embarrassing for the writer at the same time. How is anyone supposed to take him seriously putting the Giants at 8? I would have a hard time putting them even third in our division, let alone 8th in the league.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All these pre season rankings are so dumb and fans tend to discredit or credit the person writing the article based on where the Cowboys are ranked. As soon as I saw the Giants at 8, I literally lol’ed to myself and automatically discredited everything else this hack has said, including putting us at 6.
Is this list like their power rankings list that will change as soon as they play real game?

This is just another reason not to like the off season, these lists compiled by people who at least watch some football games. Before I stated hanging out on these forums, I didn't know any of this existed. And these are actually paying jobs?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We should submit our own rankings of all 32 teams and see whose is the most accurate by the end of the season. I bet some of the folks here could get close to nailing it. For sure we can do better than Bill Barnwell.

aria

Reaction score
Is this list like their power rankings list that will change as soon as they play real game?

This is just another reason not to like the off season, these lists compiled by people who at least watch some football games. Before I stated hanging out on these forums, I didn't know any of this existed. And these are actually paying jobs?
There’s honestly more people here that are more educated about the different teams in the NFL than a lot of these writers. Personally, I keep up quite a bit with the teams in our division but am somewhat clueless to what other teams outside the NFCE are doing since it doesn’t effect us nearly as much.