Estimated 5 year contract for Amari Cooper

MaaS

Reaction score
That looks about right. If 37 million is in the last two years with only 5 million in guarantees left, that's a pretty safe deal for the team.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I figured this was probably going to try and get done this year. Lock the signing bonus in for 2019 so you get the 4th year with min signing bonus cap hit, and 5th year off the books.

I'd try and get Zeke done too, just give him the Gurley deal, it's a pretty good deal for both sides, just get it over with. No point in playing footsies when negotiations probably aren't far off anyway, so we can focus on more important things.

Having both those deals done this year saves us $$, and gives us valuable flexibility in their 4-5 years when we might need to use it. They're both guys who are figured into most people looking into the cap anyway, and we're fine. I'd rather have leverage after 3-4 years than care about a negligible difference in negotiations.

Git r dun.

Bluefin

Reaction score

Definitely in the ballpark for what I'm expecting, but I don't like how Spotrac presents their numbers.

They highlight the five year extension with $82.5M in new money while leaving readers to glean that the deal also includes $13M from the final year of Amari Cooper's rookie contract.

In total, they are paying Cooper $95.5M over the entire six years of the contract.

And why are they carrying over only $13M from Copper's 5th year option when that number is actually on the books for $13.924M?

My projection for the extension is also adding five years to Cooper's contract, so the entire deal runs over six seasons the same as Spotrac's.

I went a bit higher, though, with a total value of $100M, which is an average annual value (AAV) of $16.67M, third among WRs. Coop and his agent would be able to brag about being the first wideout to get a $100M contract.

46% of the deal is guaranteed and it pays $48M in cash over the first three seasons.

2019: $3.2M signing bonus, $7M base salary (fully guaranteed) = $10.2M cap number
2020: $3.2M signing bonus, $11M base salary (fully guaranteed) = $14.2M cap number
2021: $3.2M signing bonus, $14M base salary (12M guaranteed) = $17.2M cap number
2022: $3.2M signing bonus, $15M base salary = $18.2M cap number
2023: $3.2M signing bonus, $18M base salary = $21.2M cap number
2024: $0 signing bonus, $20M base salary = $20M cap number

This would lower Cooper's '19 cap number by $3.72M.

The team could also re-structure the 2020 base salary to create $8M in cap room, if needed.

Coop would only turn 30 in the last year of the contract, so he'd stand a very good chance of getting most of the money in this deal.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Dallas would save 3 million in cap for 2019.

Let's get this done.

There is no real discussion about his deal.
We spent a first round pick on a guy who is to become a FA after this coming season.

Everything else then giving him a longterm deal is not a consideration.

We are bound here. Give him whatever he demands. Stupid FO move. So pay for it.