Even Houston Gets It

rcaldw

Reaction score
I live in Houston and was listening to sports talk radio on my way into work. They have a guy on one of the stations who does some great impersonations. He was impersonating Wade Phillips. It was spot on in terms of Phillip's attitude. No fire in the gut, no strength, nothing to respect other than being a nice guy. Uncle Wade, as some Dallas sports writers have put it.

If people in another city, who don't even follow the Cowboys or LIKE the Cowboys, can spot what our head coach is, when will the owner do it?

You may get tired of threads like these, and you may say that they don't change anything, but I say that unless what needs to be changed gets changed NOTHING matters.

This team will not win a Super Bowl with Wade Phillips as head coach. I'm absolutely convinced of that.

Until Jerry is convinced of that, just enjoy NFL Football in general, because our team is just one more team playing out the drama that will end up in some other team being crowned champion.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I totally agree, there is no fire, even listening to crayton when he said man i dont know, that reflects back to your head coach, if you are afraid or him or not, like players were afraid of jimmy johnson

only way to do this and either wade or jerry fixes this, they cut brad johnson immediately, either resign bartel or some other player that could help the cowboys, say maybe a good punt retuner

then that sends a message to the team immediately, and will wake them up

its like parcells told scouting director and players personnel guy jeff ireland, keep looking for players for me, and i will churn the bottom of the roster,

when players like curtis, rogers see that their job might not be secure, even mcquistan or doug free, then that wakes them up and they will play harder,

then you have to send a signal to jenkins whom was way too overjoyed over his interception and not the rest of the game by playing better or tackling,

have him stand up when the team comes back and give accountabilty why he didnt come up and make the tackle, do that and things will change

now we all know that wade doesnt have that presonalty, but by george is the media starts climbing on top of him why in the world he had Flozell Adams still playing when he had a swollen hand, and not putting in mcquistan or doug free, its wade's job and houck to get these players ready to play

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
He's got fire, you should see the guy at a buffet line.

In all seriousness though, I don't think Wade makes it past this season if we miss the playoffs, but Jerry could give him a break because of all the injuries. He's certainly not the worst coach in the league, but man, it'd be nice to see him hold some guys accountable.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Dude, come on. You should know as well as anyone that Houston hates the Cowboys and loves to bag on them even when we're winning. The fact that they criticize us means nothing.

You asked, "When will the owner do it?" Do what? Fire him? Do you want him fired right now in the middle of the season when our top-5 QB has been out with injury?

rcaldw

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2399451 said:
Dude, come on. You should know as well as anyone that Houston hates the Cowboys and loves to bag on them even when we're winning. The fact that they criticize us means nothing.

You asked, "When will the owner do it?" Do what? Fire him? Do you want him fired right now in the middle of the season when our top-5 QB has been out with injury?

Hey Lab, good to talk to you again. Yes, I want him fired now. I've never understood staying with something that you already know isn't the answer. The only other guy you have to replace him with (Jason Garrett) might not be the answer either, but at least we are one step removed from what we KNOW is not the answer. Furthermore, I think you saw the Wade factor early in this season before Romo even went down. Wade Phillips might be a fine coordinator in some places but the guy is not a long term head coach.

One other note. Yes, I am as aware as anyone of how much Houston has Dallas envy (btw, I just live here now, I was born in Dallas :)), but that wasn't my point. My point was that they see what we have in a head coach. They see that he is a powder puff.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Yes, if there is one thing Houston knows about, it is how to get a team to the Super Bowl.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
rcaldw;2399396 said:
I live in Houston and was listening to sports talk radio on my way into work. They have a guy on one of the stations who does some great impersonations. He was impersonating Wade Phillips. It was spot on in terms of Phillip's attitude. No fire in the gut, no strength, nothing to respect other than being a nice guy. Uncle Wade, as some Dallas sports writers have put it.

If people in another city, who don't even follow the Cowboys or LIKE the Cowboys, can spot what our head coach is, when will the owner do it?

You may get tired of threads like these, and you may say that they don't change anything, but I say that unless what needs to be changed gets changed NOTHING matters.

This team will not win a Super Bowl with Wade Phillips as head coach. I'm absolutely convinced of that.

Until Jerry is convinced of that, just enjoy NFL Football in general, because our team is just one more team playing out the drama that will end up in some other team being crowned champion.

we never won a playoff game w/parcells either. so we give parcells 4 years and wade 1 year and a rough stretch.

the IGS is what made this too cumbersome to talk about anymore.

rcaldw

Reaction score
nake;2399532 said:
Yes, if there is one thing Houston knows about, it is how to get a team to the Super Bowl.

Thus the "EVEN" Houston gets it. That is, even a city that knows nothing about championship football can see what ails us. We need a coach. Which points us to our even deeper problem, which just is not going to be fixed in Jerry's lifetime, we need a real football man running the team as GM.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Ridiculous....I guess Tom Landry didn't have much fire either.

I guess if Wade cut a few players, benched a few more, and made them practice twice a day during the bye week in pads, while screaming and cursing at them, along with calling his players out in the media, ala Parcells, or insulting them publicly, then Brad Johnson would have played well enough for us to win a couple of games, the OL would have protected our QB and opened huge holes for MBIII, TO would have had a couple of 100 yard games, the defense would have gotten a couple more turnovers against NY, and our front 7 would look more like Pittsburgh's defense.

When the team struggles, people will hang their hats on any stupid excuse they can find...when the team plays well, people will slap any back they can reach.

I guess Tony Dungy, Jim Zorn, Jeff Fisher, Mike Shannahan, and Mr. Donut in Philly are bad coaches too because they don't yell and insult people enough.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
iceberg;2399535 said:
we never won a playoff game w/parcells either. so we give parcells 4 years and wade 1 year and a rough stretch.

the IGS is what made this too cumbersome to talk about anymore.

Welcome back....;)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
rcaldw;2399396 said:

Good post, but there are flaws. Message boards help create discussion amongst interested parties, but they do not initiate change in the real world. A more direct and tangible approach is needed to convince Jerry Jones. While talking about the team here helps alleviate our tensions and concerns, it has zero effect on Jones.

rcaldw

Reaction score
DallasEast;2399551 said:
Good post, but there are flaws. Message boards help create discussion amongst interested parties, but they do not initiate change in the real world. A more direct and tangible approach is needed to convince Jerry Jones. While talking about the team here helps alleviate our tensions and concerns, it has zero effect on Jones.

I agree with you. That is why I said, "unless Jerry" recognizes it. We can't change a thing. All we can do is watch our beloved team year after year. Being able to "vent" our views on this board is just a fun way to make ourselves feel better. :)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;2399544 said:
Welcome back....;)

it's short lived. i can look at the subject topics and see all the whining and screaming for instant fixes. fire him, cut him, get rid of jones. hire cowher. nevermind it took cowher what, 9 years to win a superbowl and our fans can't even suffer through a tough month without demanding a total change.

hell, garrett was a must keep last year and 1/2 way through this season he's a must go.

fickle fans are no fun to talk to, so i just mostly avoid this forum and hang out in politics these days. but it's like eating at cici's pizza. sometimes i do it to remind myself why i don't do it more often.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
You fire Wade now and that would make JJ even MORE Al Davisish.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
iceberg;2399566 said:
it's short lived. i can look at the subject topics and see all the whining and screaming for instant fixes. fire him, cut him, get rid of jones. hire cowher. nevermind it took cowher what, 9 years to win a superbowl and our fans can't even suffer through a tough month without demanding a total change.

hell, garrett was a must keep last year and 1/2 way through this season he's a must go.

fickle fans are no fun to talk to, so i just mostly avoid this forum and hang out in politics these days. but it's like eating at cici's pizza. sometimes i do it to remind myself why i don't do it more often.

That's my guy. :)

superpunk

Reaction score
rcaldw;2399523 said:
Hey Lab, good to talk to you again. Yes, I want him fired now. I've never understood staying with something that you already know isn't the answer. The only other guy you have to replace him with (Jason Garrett) might not be the answer either, but at least we are one step removed from what we KNOW is not the answer.
Amen. Why delay the inevitable any longer. Move the hell on already. If Garrett isn't the truth, S-can him at season's end and start over. The Sta-puft Marshmallow man has shown what he is.

rcaldw

Reaction score
wayne motley;2399542 said:

I guess if Wade cut a few players, benched a few more, and made them practice twice a day during the bye week in pads, while screaming and cursing at them, along with calling his players out in the media, ala Parcells, or insulting them publicly, then Brad Johnson would have played well enough for us to win a couple of games, the OL would have protected our QB and opened huge holes for MBIII, TO would have had a couple of 100 yard games, the defense would have gotten a couple more turnovers against NY, and our front 7 would look more like Pittsburgh's defense.

When the team struggles, people will hang their hats on any stupid excuse they can find...when the team plays well, people will slap any back they can reach.

I guess Tony Dungy, Jim Zorn, Jeff Fisher, Mike Shannahan, and Mr. Donut in Philly are bad coaches too because they don't yell and insult people enough.

Wayne, it is not ridiculous and I think you know that I'm not saying that what is needed is just someone who screams. In fact, I have made the point in other threads that Tom Landry was NOT a screamer, but NO ONE would ever have described him as a "players coach" would they? Tom Landry has been described as "intimidating" by even his favorite players.

If you talk about Tony Dungy, the word RESPECT is used.
The same can be said of Jeff Fisher, Shannahan and Reid.

Jim Zorn is still young in his career so we don't know what the outcome will be.

There is an aura of respect, and "having it together" with all successful coaches, even the ones that are termed "players coaches".

But when you have a coach who CLEARLY waits for his cues from the owner before he can make decisions, you have a guy that no one takes seriously.

Deep_South

Reaction score
rcaldw;2399538 said:
Thus the "EVEN" Houston gets it. That is, even a city that knows nothing about championship football can see what ails us. We need a coach. Which points us to our even deeper problem, which just is not going to be fixed in Jerry's lifetime, we need a real football man running the team as GM.

Sorry, but I was a lifetime Oiler fan and haven't been the same since the Buffalo wild card game.

mrla

A Passion for the Star
Reaction score
wayne motley;2399542 said:

I guess Tony Dungy, Jim Zorn, Jeff Fisher, Mike Shannahan, and Mr. Donut in Philly are bad coaches too because they don't yell and insult people enough.[/quote]

Perhaps, but every one of those coaches has a much more disciplined team than ours! They may not have the talent we do, but the talent they do have plays with much more heart, soul, and discipline than the Cowboys!