Every int thrown by Dak in 2017

NotForLong

Reaction score
Forget footwork and mechanics Dak needs to work on his "open field" tackling.:facepalm:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
You can't tell from the end zone angle in that video, but Dak was starting to throw as Butler broke to the inside. But Butler looped back to the outside as the ball was released.

And it's clear the defender has a great shot at the ball regardless of where Butler went (And his head was turned away before Dak released it). The ball was not led inside. It was thrown to where Butler was, not where he would have been had he continued.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I can't say I really know how it is with other teams and their WRs. Maybe the NFL has just changed. Or it's bad coaching all around. But I've been conscious of that kind of poor play for maybe a decade with the Cowboys.

Austin had his big run of success while he methodically came back for the ball.

Years of watching WRs wait for the ball waft into their hands, instead of intelligently competing for it, has really annoyed me. It's like no one realizes that once the ball leaves the QB's hands, the only person with further control over whether the ball is caught is the WR. They need to judge the ball and go after it. They need to protect it from the defense.
I've had the exact same opinion. I've studied the relationship between WRs and DBs most of my life. Last season there was a play that stands out. I'll have to dig it up, but in a nutshell the play broke down. Dak was under heavy pressure and scrambled to his left. The WRs and TE's route was over and they all tried to help extend the play by trying to continue to get open playground style. Then there was Dez just standing there. There were other times more effort should have been applied. And it could have been coaching, but I don't know.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
So now it's HIS fault because of the schedule? This is silly.

You guys spend all year talking about how slow Witten was, how crappy Linehan was, how bad Garrett is, how bad Zeke played, how bad Dez was......yet three months later you guys won't bring up any of that stuff in regards to why Dak played the way he played. I can't wait until he plays well this season so you guys can find another team to root for.

You guys. Most of that is stuff that you guys making excuses for Dak say.

Linehan, and especially Garrett is mostly universal though.

Yeah, we'd root for another team if Dak did well. :rolleyes:

Makes total sense.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So now it's HIS fault because of the schedule? This is silly.

You guys spend all year talking about how slow Witten was, how crappy Linehan was, how bad Garrett is, how bad Zeke played, how bad Dez was......yet three months later you guys won't bring up any of that stuff in regards to why Dak played the way he played. I can't wait until he plays well this season so you guys can find another team to root for.
If Romo came out of retirement and played for another team a crap ton of Dak haters would certainly jump ship. :muttley:

dfense

Reaction score
Oh brother. The Cowboys were a pass first team then and are a run first team now.

You can do better.
Actually, DeMarco Murray's last year, the Cowboys were a run first team. Remember everyone complaining about using Murray up with a million carries? Coincidently, Romo won the QBR passing title that year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
“You guys” suggests more than one :rolleyes:

When im right and this dude shows who he really is (an average bus driver), im going to laugh at you every chance i get
That's fine. I'm hoping he succeeds...you're hoping he fails....and you wonder why I tell you to find another team to root for?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
5 out of 13 Ints went right off receivers hands (2 Terrence, 3 Dez)
3 were cause by arm or body contact during the throw

Interesting...but this is what concerns me. The bad decisions seemed to be towards the end of the year...he is regressing. Not progressing. He isn't seeing the field and making the proper reads. He was just throwing the football....hoping Dez would bail him out.

This is his make or break season...IMO:rolleyes:

mcmvp

Reaction score
5 out of 13 Ints went right off receivers hands (2 Terrence, 3 Dez)
3 were cause by arm or body contact during the throw

I’m not really sure why people go through so much effort to dissect things to this level. All QBs have some INTs as the result of being hit while throwing it, or it rebounding off a receiver’s hands. This isn’t a phenomenon that is exclusive to Dak.

I just don’t see the point I guess. If the logic behind dissecting it is to suggest his INT total should be lower, that isn’t saying much...because other QBs can say the same

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You can't tell from the end zone angle in that video, but Dak was starting to throw as Butler broke to the inside. But Butler looped back to the outside as the ball was released.

Even had Butler magically stopped the ball would have been behind him. Dak's propensity to throw behind receivers over teh middle was a big problem.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If Romo came out of retirement and played for another team a crap ton of Dak haters would certainly jump ship. :muttley:

LOL........if Romo came out of retirement? Enough said. Your hero quit because he knew he was done. Stop crying about it and move on. Nobody is still crying about Staubach or Aikman.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Plenty of gray area with both pros and cons for the QB here.

--Many stats say it's on the WR if the ball touches his hands--even if the throw is awful.
---Then again, there can be picks when the throw looks awful, but in reality, the WR ran the route poorly.
--or what if the throw was picked after being tipped, but the QB was throwing to wrong place anyway, or the ball was held too long before delivery.

People going straight off the chart blindly here are a bit misguided...imo.

Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to Dak having an improved 2018
:flagwave: