Ex-NFL scout: Why Dak Prescott doesn't change plays at the line the way ex-Cowboys QB Tony Romo did

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Romo head coach, Snake Lee Lb coach, JW82 Te coach.

All next season.

On my madden

Brax

Reaction score
Not sure I would take to much stock in what BB say's, He is one of the 3 stooges of dallascowsboys.com Jerry official propaganda site. Isn't it funny a week or so after Jerry gives his all in Dak is a building block BB just happens to remember a Dak is great moment - "Sean Payton and I were talking about. Dak, early in his career, Sean was amazed - he'd go, 'I'd love to have a quarterback where he doesn't always change the play on me" . BB is slinging the company line and being compensated for it I for one do not believe it. . Hey Sean want to trade Brees for Dak straight up?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Most interesting point was on Chaz Green.

Garrett admitted they screwed up Green's development by moving him to LG.

Think how consequential that was. Besides screwing the season, it screwed our presumed franchise QB in a lasting way.

#RodHCMooreOC
That's how moronic a position change can be. I don't know why fans or even this team thinks that's ok. They almost screwed Byron Jones with it and it looks like they screwed Collins over with it too. Collins should've stayed at guard.

mardwin

Reaction score

Think how consequential that was. Besides screwing the season, it screwed our presumed franchise QB in a lasting way.

#RodHCMooreOC

these idiots almost wasted Byron Jones as well.

sbark

Reaction score
I wish he would of changed the 3rd and 1 in OT. There were 7 defenders in the box and only 5 blockers.

Played had no shot before it was snapped.
He needed to leave the play, but.....naked bootleg for 1st after pulling the ball from Zeke

Like to see the play what Houston had setting the edge against a bootleg off edge

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I tend to believe Parcells when it comes to Romos Football intelligence as he was quoted as saying Romo was one of the smartest Qb’s he’s ever coached.....so yeah Romo is superior in football acumen to Dakota.

Only a matter of time till Romo will be the Cowboys next head coach and find us a franchise quarterback
For sure. Romo was/is very smart. But I tend to believe a portion of that comes with experience. Otherwise I think he would have been drafted.

Many fans seem to suggest Romo was an All Pro right out of the box. He wasn't. It took years for him to develop.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder how early in Romo's career he was changing plays. We tend to compare 12 years to Prescott's 2.5 a lot around here.
Yep, Romo developed that over time. He learned to read defenses out of self defense but that was a process. He used to get played by DC's by showing him a look and then backing out of it. Remember that Skins game with 13 runs? That was Romo getting played into changing to the pass over and over,.

It sure looks a lot easier to see the D lineup on TV and on replay than what they're seeing down at the field level at full speed. Learning to read defenses and respond correctly is the single toughest job of young QB's coming into the league.

Dak's problem is that he's up against some good DC's and D's and what does he have on his side? Garrett and Linehan and all you have to do is look at what he didn't do with Stafford to know Linehan isn't the OC to teach a young QB how to read and react.

Creeper

Reaction score

#RodHCMooreOC

They almost did this with Byron Jones too, moving hi to safety when he is clearly a better CB. I never liked the Cowboys philosophy of drafting versatile guys who play multiple positions. I prefer to play guys who excel at a position. It just makes things more straight forward and you don;t risk wasting a guy's career on a failed experiment.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I wonder how early in Romo's career he was changing plays. We tend to compare 12 years to Prescott's 2.5 a lot around here.

In year 3 of Romo's career he was still holding a clipboard so he wasn't changing anything.

Your point about people comparing third year Dak to 10th year Romo is proven here weekly, if not daily. It's a borderline ridiculous expectation.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Not sure I would take to much stock in what BB say's, He is one of the 3 stooges of dallascowsboys.com Jerry official propaganda site. Isn't it funny a week or so after Jerry gives his all in Dak is a building block BB just happens to remember a Dak is great moment - "Sean Payton and I were talking about. Dak, early in his career, Sean was amazed - he'd go, 'I'd love to have a quarterback where he doesn't always change the play on me."
That's not praise. Early in 2016, there was a former RB (I think it was Faulk) who predicted that as long as Romo remained injured and Prescott was playing, it was ultimately going to cost Elliott some yards because the rookie QB would stick to the play that was called instead of taking advantage of favorable defenses to run on or changing out of called runs when the defense was showing a run look.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I tend to believe Parcells when it comes to Romos Football intelligence as he was quoted as saying Romo was one of the smartest Qb’s he’s ever coached.....so yeah Romo is superior in football acumen to Dakota.

Only a matter of time till Romo will be the Cowboys next head coach and find us a franchise quarterback
This sounds interesting ..

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Romo's near MVP season was largely because JG told him to stop changing the plays at the line just because they showed him a certain look. Romo had become predictable and defenses were setting him up constantly.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you've noticed, the QB's that read the D's the best, especially the young ones, have ex successful OC's as their HC. Look at Goff, Mahomes and Wentz.

Belichick realized his offensive limitations and got the best young OC's he could find. Garrett's biggest failing, if this is indeed part of his job description? Hiring the coaches. Those QB's above have knowledge and support from their HC's and Prescott has to overcome his.

It is the difference in a FO that knows how to build and one that doesn't. LAR hired a young OC as HC but look who they surrounded him with, proven veteran coaches. Who in the hell has Garrett had for his on the job training? Booger & Son and two failed ex HC's.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Romo's near MVP season was largely because JG told him to stop changing the plays at the line just because they showed him a certain look. Romo had become predictable and defenses were setting him up constantly.
Good Lord, no. Romo's near MVP season was mostly due to the fact that defenses started having to play honest and respect our running game, instead of cheating toward the pass. Even when they played 2 high safety, those guys always had to be conscious of the run threat, and that was often enough to buy the receivers an extra step.

The 4th-down call that kept the game-winning drive alive in the playoff win that season was an audible by Romo.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score

#RodHCMooreOC
I believe that's the first time I've ever heard the career killer admitting fault about anything.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yep, Romo developed that over time. He learned to read defenses out of self defense but that was a process. He used to get played by DC's by showing him a look and then backing out of it. Remember that Skins game with 13 runs? That was Romo getting played into changing to the pass over and over,.

It sure looks a lot easier to see the D lineup on TV and on replay than what they're seeing down at the field level at full speed. Learning to read defenses and respond correctly is the single toughest job of young QB's coming into the league.

Dak's problem is that he's up against some good DC's and D's and what does he have on his side? Garrett and Linehan and all you have to do is look at what he didn't do with Stafford to know Linehan isn't the OC to teach a young QB how to read and react.
I agree with this

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
In year 3 of Romo's career he was still holding a clipboard so he wasn't changing anything.

Your point about people comparing third year Dak to 10th year Romo is proven here weekly, if not daily. It's a borderline ridiculous expectation.
I know, fans just aren't realistic or patient at all.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Good Lord, no. Romo's near MVP season was mostly due to the fact that defenses started having to play honest and respect our running game, instead of cheating toward the pass. Even when they played 2 high safety, those guys always had to be conscious of the run threat, and that was often enough to buy the receivers an extra step.

The 4th-down call that kept the game-winning drive alive in the playoff win that season was an audible by Romo.
Romo had to be told to stop checking out of run plays.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
He needed to leave the play, but.....naked bootleg for 1st after pulling the ball from Zeke

Like to see the play what Houston had setting the edge against a bootleg off edge

Wasn't there, I am pretty sure that play was a run / option but the defender to his right was sitting their waiting for him.