Ex-NFL scout: Why Dak Prescott doesn't change plays at the line the way ex-Cowboys QB Tony Romo did

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Lol....he dosent change because he dosent know what he is doing.

Simple as that.

But go Dak go !

Yup...that first year...Romo was feeding him the reads to his helmet. Now...he doesn't have that crutch. Prescott is too lazy to put in the work to figure it out. Watch some tape...But he won't. I just think he is a dumb player. Slow to react...Just like Garrett.:rolleyes:

conner01

Reaction score
I am guessing he don’t change the play much. A fee times here and there. I notice he turns his back to the defense when he does it. I think Romo used to yell kill kill. Dak seemed to try it more last year.
Dak changes plays fairly often but my guess is it’s more pre determined what those changes are where Romo could change to anything

zerofill

Reaction score
As much as I would like to ship Garrett / Linehan & Dak down the river...

I didn't post that as a Pro Romo post, or for a bad Dak post...

I put it there just because I saw the audio, and it basically correlatives many things we already though, with someone that has much more access to the Cowboys then we all do.

I figured a lot of people may not have seen it, so posted it here so everyone get a chance to listen to it.

zerofill

Reaction score
Dak changes plays fairly often but my guess is it’s more pre determined what those changes are where Romo could change to anything

I believe Dak has like an A) B) C) option... IF this looks bad, you have multiple choice predefined.

Where Romo, had those choices, but probably utilized a much larger playbook, outside of those. I liked watching Romo play... But, I do hold him kind of responsible for making the coaching staff look better then they were.

Because with Romo, even going 8-8 you still felt like there was a big chance he pulled something off. You were often on the edge of your seat during those games, biting your nails.

That often made it more exciting,entertaining, and frustrating all at once... But all that emotion helped the coaches keep their jobs.

Now, I almost fall asleep watching us play...

Boredom... now that can definitely be a franchise killer. Boredom is what I feel, watching Dallas's offense.

zerofill

Reaction score
Anybody else always vaguely disappointed the “ex-NFL scout” always turns out to be Broaddus?

Not a huge fan of Broaddus honestly... But, at least he has more insight into what happens at the Star then we do. I was actually surprised he freely acknowledged some things. Normally it is beat around the bush, vague answers, with a PC response.

zerofill

Reaction score
Most interesting point was on Chaz Green.

Garrett admitted they screwed up Green's development by moving him to LG.

Think how consequential that was. Besides screwing the season, it screwed our presumed franchise QB in a lasting way.

#RodHCMooreOC
Yeah, but honestly... as far as Dak goes, if the Atlanta game screwed him up that bad, then he isn't a franchise QB.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a huge fan of Broaddus honestly... But, at least he has more insight into what happens at the Star then we do. I was actually surprised he freely acknowledged some things. Normally it is beat around the bush, vague answers, with a PC response.

I don’t dislike him. But I don’t have huge regard for his takes, either. I just keep thinking we’re going to get another outside opinion and then it’s just another Broaddus take we’ve heard a thousand times.

zerofill

Reaction score
I wonder how early in Romo's career he was changing plays. We tend to compare 12 years to Prescott's 2.5 a lot around here.
I think it all comes down to the frustration of the fan base. Whether it is Quincy Carter, Tony Romo, or Dak... The FO, the coaching... This is just a tunnel we have been in, with no light at the end.

Reactions: G2

zerofill

Reaction score
I don’t dislike him. But I don’t have huge regard for his takes, either. I just keep thinking we’re going to get another outside opinion and then it’s just another Broaddus take we’ve heard a thousand times.

lol I agree... The only takes outside of that are players. But, then if they say anything they are disgruntled. Which many times they are, but I think there is truth in things Owens, Dez, Butler, Beasley and other former/Current Cowboys have said.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Yeah, but honestly... as far as Dak goes, if the Atlanta game screwed him up that bad, then he isn't a franchise QB.

Agree. Luck has taken huge amounts of beating all these years and he's still able to sling it and take the hit.

zerofill

Reaction score
Lol....he dosent change because he dosent know what he is doing.

Simple as that.

But go Dak go !

There is a lot to say about Football I.Q. being a real thing.

I think you have some people that are cerebral about the game, and others that just live in every moment, and never truly develop or learn from things. I think Dak is one of those people that lives in the moment.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Think how consequential that was. Besides screwing the season, it screwed our presumed franchise QB in a lasting way.

#RodHCMooreOC
If changing a career loser's position derails a QB's career, you really just don't have a QB.

Normally, that is just a bad Sunday.

If it lingers, not good.

Then you have a trained robot who can do things when everything is perfect.

That is what 2016 is looking like.

In other words, a fluke.

zerofill

Reaction score
Not impossible, but seeing Romo as a commentator as me ready to argue he is a top 7 / 10 football mind alive.

I think he is as well...like chess to him.

But, I don't think he is HC material. We need someone in here that is less interested with being friends with players/staff, and more interested in results.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Just want Dak to learn the fundamentals first before trying to tackling something more taxing. Like in math, you have to learn basic math before moving to algebra.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I think he is as well...like chess to him.

But, I don't think he is HC material. We need someone in here that is less interested with being friends with players/staff, and more interested in results.
I wouldn't be against giving him a John Elway like role. I think he'd be perfect for it.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score

#RodHCMooreOC
It didn't screw up Dak. His struggles were already there.