Excellent quote from Mahomes Dak should read it

glimmerman

Reaction score
LMAO, and what is Mahomes getting paid?

Did the Chiefs make a DE the highest paid at his position? How about a RB? WR? Hill is a better WR than Cooper and makes less.

The Chiefs are a hell of a lot better at cap management and also better at surrounding this QB with talent, they did it with Alex Smith.

Mahomes deal has absolutely nothing to do with Prescott's. However, a QB with the richest contract in history talking about leaving money on the table is laughable. If he continues on the path he is on now, he will get another largest contract ever within 5 years.
And he still has I think 2 years before it gets started. He took 10 million signing bonus which I thought was strange. Figured they would want to give him more at signing. It don’t get to messy till 2027.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Only if you believe Jason Garrett is equal to Andy Reid.

I don't.

Brady didn't win all those SB's by himself. Mahommes didn't win it alone either.

Put Mahommes on the Cowboys last season and we were not winning the superbowl...... not even close.
That may be true, but I'm willing to bet Dak on the chiefs means they get blown out vs the Texans.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Wait.. so we are being held back because our QB was only able to throw for 4,900 yards, 30 Td's and only 11 ints with a QB rating of 99.7?

It's not like we are a super power only being held back by a QB who put up the productivity numbers listed above either.

Lose the agenda and be realistic here. Dak isnt Mahommes. No one is..... But if you can't win with a QB throwing for 5k yards, 30 tds and a rating of 99.7 then the problem is clearly bigger than any position.
Stats don't tell the whole story. Dak has andrew luck syndrome, bully the bad teams get stomped by good teams. If the QB cant manage a 2nd half come back he's not worth keeping at a top tier contract and I don't want to settle regardless.

Regardless of inconsistent first half play it's simply terrible to lose every game you trail at the half. Dak is not excluded from the blame, he was a major part of JGs style.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mahomes got $477 million in guaranteed money - well over $40 million per year - and the Chiefs are able to keep a lot of other guys.

Dak is asking for less and it's a cap killer? Seems like KC is better at managing the cap than Jerry & Son. Hardly surprising. :rolleyes:

Has it occurred to anyone that Dak might not want to hitch his wagon long-term to a team that's gone nowhere since he was in pre school?
we wont know this as fact until around year 4/5 of Mahomes deal and reality's hits on who they can keep or not..not know its all speculation, to this point nearly ALL teams with the top paid, overpaid bloated QB deals, have not been able or unwilling to have the other positions that matter filled with top talent and none have been to or won a SB. etc etc we know this been debated a long while..risk is worth taking on mahomes, NOT ON A DAK type player IMHO

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Dak is a top 10 quarterback according to NFL Personnel. He will get and deserve his money.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The year they are going to have to extend him is very obvious. Basically I believe it is 2025 or 2026 when the cap hit jumps to 59 million from 40 million that basically screams "Time for another extension with more money" up front. I remember the Flacco contract when the cap hits were 6 million, 14 million, 14 million, and then 29 million and I think they extended before the 29. This is basically that situation. Everything about this deal is good for Mahomes. He will be the highest paid the moment his rookie deal ends and probably will be until it is time to extend him again halfway through the deal (or maybe he will fall to top 5 thus giving him a new negotiating position).

It's 2027. His total for that year would be $59.9 million. However, if they cut him before the third league day of 2027, they would not have to pay him his 2027 base salary ($10 million) or workout bonus ($550,000). That would be the cap savings, while his $49.4 million roster bonus would be sunk cost because it was guaranteed on the third league day of 2026.

Anything other than restructuring is pretty much impossible with this deal. They can't cut him before 2027 without incurring a major financial penalty. Even if they cut him by the third league day of 2026, his salary and workout bonus for that year would not be guaranteed, but they would only save $3 million in cap space (compared to the $38.9 million dead cap hit) since his base salary is $2.5 million.

This deal clearly shows the Chiefs are expecting him to be their starting QB that long, and expecting the cap to rise to the point where paying a QB $40 million per year is the going rate. The guarantees kicking in one to two years earlier and low base salaries until 2027 make that clear. 2027 really appears to be the only true out where the team would benefit. (Even in 2028, if he's on the roster the third day of 2027, his 2028 salary and roster bonus become fully guaranteed, so cutting him before the 2029 guarantee kicks in would only mean a savings of the $550,000 workout bonus in 2028.)

If the Chiefs have to move on from Mahomes before 2027, they are screwed.

superonyx

Reaction score
Stats don't tell the whole story. Dak has andrew luck syndrome, bully the bad teams get stomped by good teams. If the QB cant manage a 2nd half come back he's not worth keeping at a top tier contract and I don't want to settle regardless.

Regardless of inconsistent first half play it's simply terrible to lose every game you trail at the half. Dak is not excluded from the blame, he was a major part of JGs style.
You are doing what is often done when someone wants to cherry pick the bad of any player. This is the same type of argument one would make to bash Amari Cooper. Find a few games against true shut down corners and say he isnt so good because he was shutdown by X player... Its purposefully lacking in context. Its ignoring the reality that all WR's or in Daks case QB's struggle against top defenses or CB's. This is what makes them top defenses in the first place. One could post Aaron Rogers stats against top defenses (or any QB) and the conclusion would be the same.

Cherry picking the bad to make a point is no better than cherry picking the good and extrapolating that out over a season and making false positive claims.
Like pretending Tony Pollard would be better than Zeke over a full season just because he had a game or 2 where he broke a few long runs.

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
And he still has I think 2 years before it gets started. He took 10 million signing bonus which I thought was strange. Figured they would want to give him more at signing. It don’t get to messy till 2027.
2027 is the key inflection point that doesn't get brought up enough. This is really a 5 year extension on top of his 2 years remaining. Calling it a 10 year deal for the $477 to possibly $503 million is simply about winning headlines.

Mahomes will either be released or this deal will be ripped up and replaced with a new one prior to the 2027 season.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's 2027. His total for that year would be $59.9 million. However, if they cut him before the third league day of 2027, they would not have to pay him his 2027 base salary ($10 million) or workout bonus ($550,000). That would be the cap savings, while his $49.4 million roster bonus would be sunk cost because it was guaranteed on the third league day of 2026.

Anything other than restructuring is pretty much impossible with this deal. They can't cut him before 2027 without incurring a major financial penalty. Even if they cut him by the third league day of 2026, his salary and workout bonus for that year would not be guaranteed, but they would only save $3 million in cap space (compared to the $38.9 million dead cap hit) since his base salary is $2.5 million.

This deal clearly shows the Chiefs are expecting him to be their starting QB that long, and expecting the cap to rise to the point where paying a QB $40 million per year is the going rate. The guarantees kicking in one to two years earlier and low base salaries until 2027 make that clear. 2027 really appears to be the only true out where the team would benefit. (Even in 2028, if he's on the roster the third day of 2027, his 2028 salary and roster bonus become fully guaranteed, so cutting him before the 2029 guarantee kicks in would only mean a savings of the $550,000 workout bonus in 2028.)

If the Chiefs have to move on from Mahomes before 2027, they are screwed.
Do we think they didn't do this deal with a restructure in mind down the road? Both sides know this contract will not come to fruition. Just like that 100M contract Aikman signed.

The guaranteed money weighed against the term of the deal is the critical part of it and I fail to see where Mahomes is cutting them a deal.

I also fail to see Mahomes' deal compared to what Prescott is wanting. Did the Chiefs open up the coffers and start handing out big contracts and I will argue any of those are "worthy" contracts anymore than what he wants.

This very same thing happened in PIT when they gave the QB and WR those contracts, the RB, the best one in the league at that time, wanted his pay commensurate with theirs and why wouldn't he, he was the largest % of his team's offense in the NFL.

Not considering what management has done with other stars is completely missing the point about this Prescott deal. It has nothing to do with other QB's and everything to do with what they've paid other players ahead of Prescott.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2027 is the key inflection point that doesn't get brought up enough. This is really a 5 year extension on top of his 2 years remaining. Calling it a 10 year deal for the $477 to possibly $503 million is simply about winning headlines.

Mahomes will either be released or this deal will be ripped up and replaced with a new one prior to the 2027 season.
Before 2027, I'd say 2024 or 25, a new deal will get done by KC or another team.

superonyx

Reaction score
That may be true, but I'm willing to bet Dak on the chiefs means they get blown out vs the Texans.
Have you noticed that Cowboys fans have been so beaten up over the last 25 years that we have managed to think we need the #1 player in the league in every position to have a shot?
In the case of QB we have people that believe no one would be good enough if they were not the #1 QB in the league. We gang up on players on forums and point the fingers at them. We fight over whether Zeke is top 3, if Dak is top 10, if Amari is top 10.... we criticize all the best players we have and blame them for the lack of team success. Meanwhile coaching staffs all around the league take teams of average talent and win more than we have.
Nothing matters in this sport more than coaching. Its the single biggest factor in winning or losing. Every player in this league is talented enough to be a part of a winning team. Its the coaches that keep winning that have figured out how to get the most from the players and put them in the positions to succeed.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
"The biggest thing they preached to me is kind of the same thing I already thought. It was good to just hear them. You want to have great players around you. You don't want to be a guy that takes up all the money and then all of a sudden you're having to sign different guys that will take cheaper deals. We're going to be able to reward players and keep a lot of these guys around that have built the culture even before I was here.''

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ght-security-flexibility-chiefs-landmark-deal

No kidding. Tom Brady understood this. He could have gotten more money, but he wanted a team with great players to help him win. And the money he did make was nothing to sneeze at. IMO Dak turned down a extremely fair multi-year deals. I suspect he's gone after this next season, though I don't know for sure.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
"The biggest thing they preached to me is kind of the same thing I already thought. It was good to just hear them. You want to have great players around you. You don't want to be a guy that takes up all the money and then all of a sudden you're having to sign different guys that will take cheaper deals. We're going to be able to reward players and keep a lot of these guys around that have built the culture even before I was here.''

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ght-security-flexibility-chiefs-landmark-deal

LOL...…….yah that 45 million per year...……...that's what he calls "not taking all the money".

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Dak, Don't take 50 million, just 45 million per year!!! Listen to this guy. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Mahomes simply realized that there is nothing he can buy for 600m that 500m can't buy him, so he took less, he also knows he will make a couple hundred million in endorsements, so he took a team friendly deal. Very smart man, he will be surrounded by good players his entire career now and even his teammates will like him even more for leaving them a bigger piece of the pie

45 million per year...…………...you call that taking less?

Dak wants 35 million per year and thats taking more? I guess math wasn't your strong suit eh?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Have you noticed that Cowboys fans have been so beaten up over the last 25 years that we have managed to think we need the #1 player in the league in every position to have a shot?
In the case of QB we have people that believe no one would be good enough if they were not the #1 QB in the league. We gang up on players on forums and point the fingers at them. We fight over whether Zeke is top 3, if Dak is top 10, if Amari is top 10.... we criticize all the best players we have and blame them for the lack of team success. Meanwhile coaching staffs all around the league take teams of average talent and win more than we have.
Nothing matters in this sport more than coaching. Its the single biggest factor in winning or losing. Every player in this league is talented enough to be a part of a winning team. Its the coaches that keep winning that have figured out how to get the most from the players and put them in the positions to succeed.

EXACTLY...………..I used to argue with several deranged posters that said Dak wasn't good enough with a coach like Garrett. LOL

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You'd think we'd know better because we've seen the Eagles and Giants win Super Bowls without the best talent.....but we still fall into the trap.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Do we think they didn't do this deal with a restructure in mind down the road? Both sides know this contract will not come to fruition. Just like that 100M contract Aikman signed.

The guaranteed money weighed against the term of the deal is the critical part of it and I fail to see where Mahomes is cutting them a deal.

I also fail to see Mahomes' deal compared to what Prescott is wanting. Did the Chiefs open up the coffers and start handing out big contracts and I will argue any of those are "worthy" contracts anymore than what he wants.

This very same thing happened in PIT when they gave the QB and WR those contracts, the RB, the best one in the league at that time, wanted his pay commensurate with theirs and why wouldn't he, he was the largest % of his team's offense in the NFL.

Not considering what management has done with other stars is completely missing the point about this Prescott deal. It has nothing to do with other QB's and everything to do with what they've paid other players ahead of Prescott.

I don't see them restructuring before 2027. Mahomes doesn't really have an incentive to do it. Usually, the team gives a player more guaranteed money (taking salary and converting it to guarantees) in a restructure to get them to allow the hit to be spread over multiple years. The Chiefs can't really do that until the base salary gets higher, which it doesn't do until 2027. The rest of Mahomes' money is basically already guaranteed unless KC wanted to take a huge cap hit just to get rid of him.

I agree that this is in no way Mahomes cutting them a deal. I can see how he looks at it that way, though, for the first few years, since they are paying him barely over $5 million this year and then less than $30 million the next two years. They had to give him guarantees that would hurt them thereafter in order to get those "concessions."

I think the Chiefs were trying to be innovative and trapped themselves instead IF Mahomes doesn't play at a high level until at least 2027 and the going rate for star QBs stagnates at under $40 million.