Excellent quote from Mahomes Dak should read it

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Mahomes simply realized that there is nothing he can buy for 600m that 500m can't buy him, so he took less, he also knows he will make a couple hundred million in endorsements, so he took a team friendly deal. Very smart man, he will be surrounded by good players his entire career now and even his teammates will like him even more for leaving them a bigger piece of the pie
This. He's also setting himself up to walk away from the game healthier with having a potentially better OLine.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Which is true, they are not even in the same galaxy, let alone the same neighborhood lol.
I like your hyperbole.
Now I await you saying it wasn't hyperbole and I'll chuckle harder at that.

Lol, galaxy.

kskboys

Reaction score
how many big cvorporate managers CEOs do you know that have done this? the list in the didn't group is an encyclopedia. the list on the did it group is less than number of your fingers.

and so far, you are the only one who said you would...

but you also don't make millions, so its easy to say, hey, if I made millions I would....wait until you make millions and see how you do.
I have taken less. Personal happiness is far more important than a few dollars.

Plus, this isn't about Dak taking less. It's more about him agreeing to a reasonable contract. He's refusing to do it.

plasticman

Reaction score
Dak took less.....wwwaaayyyyy less, for four seasons.

He probably figures it's time for someone else to take less. Apparently it wasn't anybody else drafted the same season as him.

He's getting paid for his performance in the upcoming seasons. He hasn't demonstrated any cap on his potential to get better.

The Cowboys can very well make it past the divisional round this season. Then Jerry Jones can take another offseason to explain why Dak isn't worth the increase his agent will demand. Meanwhile, we can all spend our time contemplating which washed up veteran free agent QB is going to steal money from Jerry next season.

Adreme

Reaction score
Take out the 4th year of his rookie deal whch is this year and the numbers are still far below 45m..take out this year and next year and the numbers are still far below 45m per season. In Mahomes last 5 years of his 10 year extension the numbers are far above a 45m per year average (none of which is guaranteed at the moment and which is very easy for the Chiefs to get out of if they want), but the 1st 5 years of the extension the numbers are no where close to 45m. As far as i know Dak only wanted 45m in the last year of a 5 year deal with the Cowboys if he gave them an extra year, i don't know if it's bs or not i only know that was what had been reported.

45m in the last year basically adds up to make 35 million per year 37 million per year with how it would be structured.

As for how Mahomes deal is structured he is going to end up getting extended about halfway through that deal in a format that will give him a raise but lower the cap hit just because that is how the contract is structured.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Plus, this isn't about Dak taking less. It's more about him agreeing to a reasonable contract. He's refusing to do it.
he is not refusing to take a lesser contract. its about the number of years, so technically he is taking less. he says 4 years 140. cowboys want 5 years 185......the question is not about dollars, but number of years....

couple of million a year is not going to be the difference between a championship or not.....

GMO415

Reaction score
Dak has been disrespected since HS. So, now the Cowboys have to pay for a decade of other's and their transgressions.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Mahomes contract is totally dependent on the Salcap going up as usual. It's structured so that the big numbers start coming in 4 years down the line. If the Salcap does what it normally does, the Chiefs are going to be in good shape for the foreseeable future.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Mahomes got $477 million in guaranteed money - well over $40 million per year - and the Chiefs are able to keep a lot of other guys.

Dak is asking for less and it's a cap killer? Seems like KC is better at managing the cap than Jerry & Son. Hardly surprising. :rolleyes:

Has it occurred to anyone that Dak might not want to hitch his wagon long-term to a team that's gone nowhere since he was in pre school?
Or could it be an elite QB and an elite HC whom make a complete difference?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Mahomes simply realized that there is nothing he can buy for 600m that 500m can't buy him, so he took less, he also knows he will make a couple hundred million in endorsements, so he took a team friendly deal. Very smart man, he will be surrounded by good players his entire career now and even his teammates will like him even more for leaving them a bigger piece of the pie
Or he realizes there is a risk the economy may crash and social issues may impact the popularity of the sport so he is locking in long term knowing he can hold out later if those things don’t occur.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Mahomes got $477 million in guaranteed money - well over $40 million per year - and the Chiefs are able to keep a lot of other guys.

Dak is asking for less and it's a cap killer? Seems like KC is better at managing the cap than Jerry & Son. Hardly surprising. :rolleyes:

Has it occurred to anyone that Dak might not want to hitch his wagon long-term to a team that's gone nowhere since he was in pre school?

some of you are so ill-informed. Mahomes contract is 141m in guarantees. It is an EXTREMELY team friendly deal.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
45m in the last year basically adds up to make 35 million per year 37 million per year with how it would be structured.

As for how Mahomes deal is structured he is going to end up getting extended about halfway through that deal in a format that will give him a raise but lower the cap hit just because that is how the contract is structured.

and it will be very easy to do because almost all of the money is not guaranteed
some of you are so ill-informed. Mahomes contract is 141m in guarantees. It is an EXTREMELY team friendly deal.

It's actually only 63m in full guarantees the 141m is injury guarantees if they happen in the next 3 years

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Wait, I thought he carried the team on his shoulders. You're suggesting he needs talent around him?
Weird.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

That's your opinion. What evidence is there that Prescott is refusing a reasonable contract?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Wait, I thought he carried the team on his shoulders. You're suggesting he needs talent around him?
Weird.

He does carry the team which makes the fact he singed this deal even more incredible and shows what kind of individual he is. Team 1st....500m deal and only 63m guaranteed at signing and only a 32m average over the next 7 years or 37.9m average over the 1st 5 years of the extension should the chiefs decide they want to keep him, you see the way the deal is setup they could get out of it at their discretion anytime they want (not saying they would but they can if they choose too)

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
47uk4h.jpg

kskboys

Reaction score
he is not refusing to take a lesser contract. its about the number of years, so technically he is taking less. he says 4 years 140. cowboys want 5 years 185......the question is not about dollars, but number of years....

couple of million a year is not going to be the difference between a championship or not.....
It can be.