Twitter: Execs say Zeke is the priority over Dak

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t understand why you hate the situation. The cowboys have plenty of space to sign all 3.

If you sign Zeke to a 5 year deal now. He will be 28 during the last year of his deal.

Contract would probably be structured where you can cut him after 4 if you want, when he is only 27 years old.

I see no reason to believe Zeke isn’t still productive until 27 years old.

One, I am not sure he will be as good 3 or 4 years from now, especially with the usage he's had. I don't need a TB with a $17MM cap hit struggling to finish a season from injuries. Again this isn't about Elliott himself, I just don't and never have liked the concept of locking up significant resources into the TB position.

And the Cowboys, while they have the space to sign all three, will at some point have to make tougher decisions down the road. Byron Jones could be a casualty here, for example. The other aspect to this and this was a concern that even Stephen Jones acknowledged a few years ago is that our spending is out of whack in terms of offense and defense. Signing Dak, Cooper, Elliott to huge deals is going to again skew resources to the offense.

But unfortunately, we are stuck in a situation where we probably have to sign all three given the circumstances. That bothers me a bit.

Nav22

Reaction score
Will this make Dak’s haters feel better when Dak signs for over $30 mil? Will it make their bottom lips quiver any less?

“B-b-but what about the anonymous sources in the Bleacher Report article!?!? :angry:

I remember when idiots said Emmitt Smith was the only reason Troy Aikman was considered elite. That aged well!

Sydla

Reaction score
While I agree paying a RB top dollar sounds unappealing, a rb like Zeke can do it all and his age isn't a concern for hitting a wall. If he's going to be anything like AP playing at a high level at any age it would be dumb to not keep him. We won't need to pay him anyway until after the 2020 season.

As for Cooper, there is zero chance the cowboys don't resign him. They knew what they were doing when they traded a 1st for him.

As for Dak if he's going to get market value then what's the harm in waiting a year when his contract is up? And I'm still all for a bottom feeder coming along offering everything they possibly can if a team feels he's worth that.

Btw I don't see any of these 3 not being signed.

You guarantee that Elliott will be AP? That's the problem. There's been a very, very small number of TBs that have done what AP has done.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone who thought this FO wouldn't be all about the stars just doesn't want to accept that. The only hope this team has is to grab that ring while the window is open because these clowns have learned nothing. You can pay too much to too few but you better get a ring to show for it because the bills will come due. And they'd better hope for the best health in the league.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
It’s a shame that it’s a false choice, considering the team can easily do both though.
Some teams believe it is both nearly impossible and highly impractical for a team to pay three offensive stars top-dollar. Could the Cowboys do it? Yes. Would it be smart? No, teams tell me. It would just be too much money assigned to three players. Really incredible players, but still just three, and all of them on offense.

:popcorn:

HungryLion

Reaction score
One, I am not sure he will be as good 3 or 4 years from now, especially with the usage he's had. I don't need a TB with a $17MM cap hit struggling to finish a season from injuries. Again this isn't about Elliott himself, I just don't and never have liked the concept of locking up significant resources into the TB position.

And the Cowboys, while they have the space to sign all three, will at some point have to make tougher decisions down the road. Byron Jones could be a casualty here, for example. The other aspect to this and this was a concern that even Stephen Jones acknowledged a few years ago is that our spending is out of whack in terms of offense and defense. Signing Dak, Cooper, Elliott to huge deals is going to again skew resources to the offense.

But unfortunately, we are stuck in a situation where we probably have to sign all three given the circumstances. That bothers me a bit.

Fair enough.

Sydla

Reaction score
Welp this didnt take long :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

The author is Mike Freeman who has a pretty good reputation as a NFL writer. I doubt what he said was fabricated. Now maybe the execs were using a little gamesmanship here but claiming the story has to be fabricated is funny but also expected from people that simply can't handle certain narratives. So in that case, well then, the stories have to be made up.

Darthkuriboh

Reaction score
Will this make Dak’s haters feel better when Dak signs for over $30 mil? Will it make their bottom lips quiver any less?

“B-b-but what about the anonymous sources in the Bleacher Report article!?!? :angry:

I remember when idiots said Emmitt Smith was the only reason Troy Aikman was considered elite. That aged well!

Prescott is nowhere near an elite talent. Zeke is a generational talent. Dak can't perform without Zeke.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Which comes down to a difference in team building philosophy. It may be a mistake.

I don’t think it’s accurate to say Zeke makes Amari. Amari has been a stud since college as well. Also a top 5 pick and a pro bowler from the day he stepped onto an NFL field.

Sydla

Reaction score
Prescott is nowhere near an elite talent. Zeke is a generational talent. Dak can't perform without Zeke.

What's always been funny to me in this argument is that on one hand, Dak supporters will bristle at the idea Dak needs Zeke to perform but then turn around and makes excuses for Dak's performances in 2017 by saying well Dak didn't have Zeke for a big chunk of the season, so how can you judge his performance fairly?

Chuckle.

cowboyec

Reaction score
the only execs opinion that matter are the Cowboys'....JJ & Stephen...the others are just chatter.
screw'm.
screw'm all.
:starspin:'Merica's Team:starspin:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Which comes down to a difference in team building philosophy.
True but it is a great point.

We will have to lose (wont have $ to re-sign) other top players because we wont be able to afford it eventually.

Knowing this team’s history, are you confident that we can wit it all solely relying on the offense?

Because if you pay all 3, you lose Byron most likely, Quinn, M. Collins, Crawford etc..