Explain the JJ "rumor" before the game?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Probably just the media trying to get attention and clicks.

Looks like a status quo off-season is incoming.

Probably going to have to cut some good players because of bad contracts like Dak’s.

This team has several bloated contracts that are pulling the talent level down and not just Dak's.
If we had not drafted cheap good talent for the past several years we would be in a lot worse trouble.

Sydla

Reaction score
‘Who they wanna keep’. That’s a nice, cloudy area to hide in so you can feel better when they inevitably lose good players.

Yep.

The Cowboys are going to lose some key players from this team. Anyone with any understanding of the cap and the situation the Cowboys are in knows this. There is zero doubt they'd love to have Gallup and Gregory and Kearse and Schultz and Hooker back. But they can't bring all those guys back because they simply don't have the flexibility.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think this explains it.

Jason-La-Canfora-3.jpg

Yeah this guy is a putz and often wrong. I think he was one of the first making this claim.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The game is the game and we all have to get over the turd bucket that it was. But I'm still totally perplexed by the whole set of stories coming out that Jerry "may" make sweeping changes if they lost. This was the title on NBC Sports "Report: Jones could change coaches if Cowboys lose to 49ers".

This could be total guessing on the part of the media but I could have sworn that it was based on a interview in Dallas that Jerry gave before the game. Is this true? If so, why on earth would Jerry do that and then stay the course afterward? It certainly didn't help the team to play better?

I have no doubt that if Jerry Jones had any clue what changes to make, he would make them.

As usual, the news media got ahead of the story and rolled with BS b/c it was entertaining.

starman22

Reaction score
They will restructure and keep who they wanna keep and I think you know that.

Usually the QB with the big contract is a perfect restructure partner, after the showing the last half of the year, who knows what JJ thinks of Dak.

Sydla

Reaction score
Usually the QB with the big contract is a perfect restructure partner, after the showing the last half of the year, who knows what JJ thinks of Dak.

Oh regardless Dak is a restructure. His contract was basically made to restructure.

My fear is they also look at Elliott's deal and think that's a restructure too. Elliott has a large base next year. His cap hit is enormous. Don't be stunned when the Cowboys restructure his deal.

ICP

Reaction score
Oh regardless Dak is a restructure. His contract was basically made to restructure.

My fear is they also look at Elliott's deal and think that's a restructure too. Elliott has a large base next year. His cap hit is enormous. Don't be stunned when the Cowboys restructure his deal.
Exactly, more years of Zeke is exactly what we don't need

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I doubt Jerry or Stephen will have been swayed enough to not restructure that contract this off season.

starman22

Reaction score

Please no, this contract and player need to fade into obscurity.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smoke and mirrors my friend. The only hope I have is that we try to build around Parsons and maybe try fielding a consistently tough defense for once, but I’m not sure how many jerseys that’ll sell

I understand your frustrations. And I share many of them. An incredible opportunity was just squandered.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The media was trying to stir up drama. As much as I think MM is an average coach, you can’t fire him after the improvements the team made. The Cowboys actually made it as far as they could go. Dak had the ball with two minutes to go, three timeouts, and three injured 49ers. He will never get a better chance to engineer a comeback playoff victory again. If MM had Rodgers we win that game. Dak is paid more then Rodgers.:facepalm::facepalm:
Bad play calling and execution. He should have ran it himself. The QB draw should have been the first play called there. Then roll him out, suck them up to the line and use the middle seam route. MM maybe worse than JG at clock management..

Reactions: BAT

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The game is the game and we all have to get over the turd bucket that it was. But I'm still totally perplexed by the whole set of stories coming out that Jerry "may" make sweeping changes if they lost. This was the title on NBC Sports "Report: Jones could change coaches if Cowboys lose to 49ers".

This could be total guessing on the part of the media but I could have sworn that it was based on a interview in Dallas that Jerry gave before the game. Is this true? If so, why on earth would Jerry do that and then stay the course afterward? It certainly didn't help the team to play better?
Your lack of awareness of how the media operates is alarming. They owe no loyalty to the things you care about. They don't even care about the truth. Their purpose is not to inform the public of objective news. They only care about one thing... $$$. Creating controversy sells. And like the sucker you are, you buy it up every time. Wise up and stop believing everything you read. ;)

shabazz

Reaction score
it would be admitting failure on the one hand, and the other is that he does not want to pay someone not to work.

…..if that’s how he feels, he’ll never get a position in the government

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Because Jerry always says it's now or never at the start of every season. Then immediately after we waste a season, he spouts off some stupid "stern" message to the media or team or whoever, then a few hours later on Monday he professes his love for our trash coaches. Does it every year with the exception of once in the last 12 years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jerry isn’t going to make sweeping changes after rebounding from 6-10 in 2020 to 12-5 in 2021. Obviously if Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn leave for head coaching jobs they’ll be changes.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I understand your frustrations. And I share many of them. An incredible opportunity was just squandered.
Tell me about it. My homer side can’t believe they honestly thought they could roll in there and win. Was the divisional round the round they were gonna buckle down? But the realist side of me is like of course they did what they did. They are the cowboys after all. At this point my homer flame all but extinguished.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell me about it. My homer side can’t believe they honestly thought they could roll in there and win. Was the divisional round the round they were gonna buckle down? But the realist side of me is like of course they did what they did. They are the cowboys after all. At this point my homer flame all but extinguished.

Yeah.

All of those ‘great numbers’ and impressive performances were all for naught.

First team with a player to - fill in the blank - and none of it amounted to anything. All of these at one time great players and NOBODY showed up when it mattered most. Arguably the healthiest team in the league at this point too. Along with two of the top head coaching candidates, and none of it mattered.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Yeah.

All of those ‘great numbers’ and impressive performances were all for naught.

First team with a player to - fill in the blank - and none of it amounted to anything. All of these at one time great players and NOBODY showed up when it mattered most. Arguably the healthiest team in the league at this point too. Along with two of the top head coaching candidates, and none of it mattered.
Twist that knife!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep.

The Cowboys are going to lose some key players from this team. Anyone with any understanding of the cap and the situation the Cowboys are in knows this. There is zero doubt they'd love to have Gallup and Gregory and Kearse and Schultz and Hooker back. But they can't bring all those guys back because they simply don't have the flexibility.

Denial ain’t just a River in Egypt.

Forneymike

Reaction score
Probably just the media trying to get attention and clicks.

Looks like a status quo off-season is incoming.

Probably going to have to cut some good players because of bad contracts like Dak’s.
They will keep whoever they want....he has never cut someone he wanted to keep....the cap is an illusion...don't fall for it