Ezekiel Elliot's cap hit for 2022

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No one is talking about the RB position. Let's pretend Pollard is good enough to be the feature RB, this franchise won't utilize him just like last season. Or, pretend Pollard is awful and the they won't bring in help. Yeah the O line sucked, but the running game was highly neglected.

Sydla

Reaction score
1) Investment. Elliott cost the No. 4 overall pick. Unless that player sucks, which Elliott has not and definitely was not at the time of the signing, you give him a second contract.

2) Health. Murray was coming off a nearly 2,000-yard season, but he had had some troubling years healthwise. Investing in a player who hasn't consistently shown the ability to stay healthy is not wise.

3) They reportedly tried to give Murray a four-year deal worth more than any FA RB received the previous year. The Eagles offered more and Dallas said that's as high as we'll go.

#1 is laughable. You don't have to give a guy a 2nd contract, especially a TB, just because he was the 4th pick. Even if he didn't suck. Look at the league, pretty much everyone was getting away from investing real resources in a TB and utilizing cap resources in other positions. Teams that gave big money deals to RBs - Rams and Cardinals - were pawning off their TBs after they realized what a mistake it was.

Taking Elliott at 4 was a questionable move to begin with. You don't compound that problem by dropping your pants and paying a TB a record contract just because you used a 4th pick on him. Two years later and he still has the largest contract for a RB in history. That's after guys like Kamara and McCaffery and Cook signed.

- Largest total contract by $15 million
- Most guaranteed money by $12 million

Just poor roster management all around by the Jones'. That's hardly surprising given what we've seen over the years.

On #2, Elliott had significant use in college and even in the NFL by the time he was re-signed. So let's not act like he was some fresh, little used TB here.

And this isn't even about Elliott. I don't care who our TB is, it would have been a mistake to give any good TB the contract we gave Elliott.

Motorola

Reaction score
No one is talking about the RB position. Let's pretend Pollard is good enough to be the feature RB, this franchise won't utilize him just like last season. Or, pretend Pollard is awful and the they won't bring in help. Yeah the O line sucked, but the running game was highly neglected.
No doubt the Cowboys have their sights on a RB or two to target throughout the rounds of the upcoming draft. They officially have 9 selections - 1 in each of the first four rounds, 5 in round 5, and 1 6th rounder.
Some names will surface over the next six weeks from various sources about whom Dallas has interest in.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No doubt the Cowboys have their sights on a RB or two to target throughout the rounds of the upcoming draft. They officially have 9 selections - 1 in each of the first four rounds, 5 in round 5, and 1 6th rounder.
Some names will surface over the next six weeks from various sources about whom Dallas has interest in.
What I'm saying is that I don't trust the FO to make that happen.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
#1 is laughable. You don't have to give a guy a 2nd contract, especially a TB, just because he was the 4th pick. Even if he didn't suck. Look at the league, pretty much everyone was getting away from investing real resources in a TB and utilizing cap resources in other positions. Teams that gave big money deals to RBs - Rams and Cardinals - were pawning off their TBs after they realized what a mistake it was.

Taking Elliott at 4 was a questionable move to begin with. You don't compound that problem by dropping your pants and paying a TB a record contract just because you used a 4th pick on him. Two years later and he still has the largest contract for a RB in history. That's after guys like Kamara and McCaffery and Cook signed.

- Largest total contract by $15 million
- Most guaranteed money by $12 million

Just poor roster management all around by the Jones'. That's hardly surprising given what we've seen over the years.

On #2, Elliott had significant use in college and even in the NFL by the time he was re-signed. So let's not act like he was some fresh, little used TB here.

And this isn't even about Elliott. I don't care who our TB is, it would have been a mistake to give any good TB the contract we gave Elliott.

except Zekes career stats say otherwise.

Cmac

Reaction score
We might have a chance to build the right way after he’s gone.
Rebuild might be the better word......and minimal waged should only apply. Got it. Win with that.

Sydla

Reaction score
except Zekes career stats say otherwise.

What has Zeke's accumulation of stats done for the Cowboys? Has the strategy of using a 4th pick in the draft and then paying him the largest contract in NFL history worked out?

We lost to a team in the playoffs that got better production out of their run game with far less invested in the TB position.

The fact you think because Zeke has nice stats means they were justified in signing him really says it all.

Motorola

Reaction score
What I'm saying is that I don't trust the FO to make that happen.
I looked at 3 mock drafts about Cowboys. 2 were based on 7 picks, 1 was based on 6 (a pick was used in a draft-day trade).
Now all three mocks did not have a RB selected.
But in reality Dallas has 9 picks. I would be surprised if one of those 4 5th rounders is not used to pick a RB.
We can only wait to see what happens 6 weeks from now - day 3 is April 30th (5th to 7th rounds picks are made on Saturday).

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The day Jerry and Stephen learn how to run their team may be far too late to overturn their demise.
Of course, that would be blindly assuming that such a day might be destined to arrive at all. :facepalm:

Last edited:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Elliot stinks. His play and his contract has been killing the team. At his current rate of decline he is poised for the lest efficient season in history. But at least the POS makes a lot of money and is best buds with the franchise QB.

75boyz

Reaction score
nah man if we won the next 3 superbowls then he will be a big part of that, i won't be able to discredit that.

he just has too much mileage for his contract, it's nothing to do with him. 600 carries before he got to us in Ohio State and 1200 carries his first 4 years. That's 1800 carries and we paid him like he was fresh it's our fault.

Nice post. I'm a big believer in how the big volume of carries early on, sped up his shelf life.

Chronologically he's 26, but running back years...?

You can just watch and see the decline is huge and continuing at a very fast rate.

Time to move on.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I looked at 3 mock drafts about Cowboys. 2 were based on 7 picks, 1 was based on 6 (a pick was used in a draft-day trade).
Now all three mocks did not have a RB selected.
But in reality Dallas has 9 picks. I would be surprised if one of those 4 5th rounders is not used to pick a RB.
We can only wait to see what happens 6 weeks from now - day 3 is April 30th (5th to 7th rounds picks are made on Saturday).

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't draft a RB but would be disappointed. Let's see how it unfolds and hope for the best.

Sydla

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't draft a RB but would be disappointed. Let's see how it unfolds and hope for the best.

With this many later round picks - 4 fifths and a sixth - I expect them to throw one at a TB. If they really are viewing this as possibly Elliott's last year given contract parameters, they should take a flier on someone in this draft.

CoachD

Reaction score
Oh wow, another stupid thread about something that doesn’t matter that has been hashed over and over. And gets nowhere.
All of these threads go nowhere we're fans and have zero say so.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I wish fatty would take his giant bags of dirty money and disappear.

quickccc

Reaction score
i'm hoping ZKE gets with a Track & Field program - in a last effort to regain burst and agility,
and a Track n Field program associated with the team trainers, than what he did with Skip Hicks last year ....o_O