1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Ezekiel Elliot's cap hit for 2022

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by J12B, Mar 17, 2022.

1. J-man

J-man Well-Known Member

1,846 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    This will be his last year in big D. His contract was structured that way. They knew he would fall off about this point in his career and set it up so he could be cut for almost no penalty after '22. Unfortunately he feel off slightly quicker than expected and he will be grossly overpaid for what he does this year, but it won't be that bad. With TP taking a much larger role this season Zeke will do well in a more limited role.

2. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

27,757 Messages
    24,004 Likes Received
    Ewok is gone after this season, he better enjoy his farewell tour.

3. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    23,799 Messages
    21,948 Likes Received
    Absolutely
    He was very good his first contract
    And he wasn’t bad last year till he was injured
    But I don’t think a RB is a position I’d take in the top 10. Maybe the end of the first but in the top 10 I wouldn’t take a RB for a couple of reasons. It’s a position that generally has a shorter career and you can have an effective run game without an elite RB.
    I also wouldn’t give a RB a second contract in todays nfl. Again the short career, cost and I think running the ball effective doesn’t require a elite RB

4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

52,635 Messages
    57,690 Likes Received
    5.8M in 2023 when they make him a June 1st cut.

His base salary was guaranteed his year which meant that the cost to cut or keep was exactly the same.
    - Next season they can avoid paying his 10.9M salary by cutting him.

plymkr likes this.
  5. Bullflop

Bullflop Cowboys Diehard

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    22,941 Messages
    28,251 Likes Received
    The problem is, even if that cap hit weren't a problem, this FO wouldn't have a clue what to do with their freedom to choose. Consider that.

6. MountaineerCowboy

MountaineerCowboy Well-Known Member

17,144 Messages
    33,608 Likes Received
    It was sarcasm lol

I agree. They have no idea what they're doing.

Bullflop likes this.
  7. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

9,175 Messages
    1,680 Likes Received
    “We like our guys.”

8. pansophy

pansophy Well-Known Member

3,302 Messages
    3,346 Likes Received
    I agree with you -- and I could be talked into not giving a RB a second contract. But then I wouldn't draft a RB in the 1st round period if I had no intention of signing him again. I might not sign a RB until the 4th round if a second contract was not on the table because it is completely reasonable to expect a good pick in rounds 1-3 will warrant a second contract.

conner01 likes this.
  9. Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius Well-Known Member

969 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    if he scores 12 TDS and has a 4.2 Y/A in 2022, he stays another season.

If that's the baseline, You guys better get used to him being around

2021 stats: 17 games | 237 att | 1,002 rush yds | 4.2 ypc | 10 rush TDs | 47 rec | 287 rec yds | 2 rec TD | 1 fumble

On a Bum knee. that's good for let's say 10th in the league that means only 9 other teams have rbs that are better

Get yo mind right!!!!!

10. kumizi

kumizi Well-Known Member

3,695 Messages
    4,918 Likes Received
    He didn’t accomplish those things as the highest paid RB in the league.

That’s what separates well run organizations in all professional sports from badly run ones like the Cowboys. A contract isn’t supposed to be a reward for past performance. It’s supposed to be compensation for expected future performance.

lk8701 likes this.
  11. DonaldM

DonaldM Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    Omg this dude

12. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

14,162 Messages
    17,263 Likes Received
    I'm old enough to remember being mocked for not wanting to draft and/or sign Zeke. Glad we've all come around. Sad this happened.

13. Havic

Havic Well-Known Member

1,557 Messages
    2,490 Likes Received
    Thankful Dak took a 4 year instead of a 5.

14. lk8701

lk8701 Well-Known Member

1,915 Messages
    4,147 Likes Received
    I was 100% against drafting Zeke. So may better options CB Ramsey, DT Buckner, and OT Stanley. Positional value is important.

15. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins This is a house of learned doctors

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    11,277 Messages
    3,568 Likes Received
    I get stoked to think about all of those Free Agents Dallas will try to underbid on next offseason after Elliott is cut.

16. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

52,493 Messages
    79,321 Likes Received
    Just remember, you won't see that savings until after June 1 next year (if they make him a June 1 cut).

By then, we've snatched up all the bargain bin guys Stephen can grab with his bare hands.

JohnnyHopkins likes this.
  17. FVSTONE

FVSTONE Well-Known Member

1,911 Messages
    1,489 Likes Received
    You're joking ....right?????? He's not worth $18 million a year, but this is what happens when the front office goes into panic mode because they were afraid to stand their ground.

18. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

14,104 Messages
    11,096 Likes Received
    They may be cleaning house, but they are not replacing the players that they let go with even average players. As it stands, Armstrong will be a starting DE. He went years without making plays, even in preseason, until it was his contract year. Last season, which was his best, he still played like a backup that came straight out of the garbage dumpster. He would be lucky to make the roster of any decent team, but he is a starter in Dallas.