Ezekiel Elliott, how many yards do we really need from him

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
He needs to have a huge year. If he's not in shape like the past 3 years than this will be his last yr in Dallas at least I hope so.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Let’s talk about production. OK so you’re the league leading rusher. What did those yards do. You start on your own 20 yard line. By the time you get to the red zone. You’re not as fresh. No I’d rather see more balance going down the field. And then use every bit of energy to pound the ball into the end zone. No, this is as much on coaching as it is on anything else. Special teams should be much better the season so we don’t have to start every drive on are side of the field. I guess there’s a reason why there’s only one rushing title leader with the ring . Some fans don’t think an extra game is a big deal. Ask the players at the end of the season how big of a deal it is. Go cowboys
Its a marathon not a race, esp considering the xtra game, extended season so would rather see Zeke time management executed better than it ever has been before in his career, it has to be.
Proper and responsible use of Zeke snaps will be crucial if this team has a chance leading in to post season play, Zeke must remain healthy and fresh, even Pollard.
As much as we praise the roster now post FA period, draft, OTAs... the RB3 remains a glaring weakness.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
17 games im expecting a bit more then his career avg which was around 1350 before last season so 1450 10+ Tds and 400 yards receiving.. Pollard needs more reps but our pass happy OC wont be able to find enough rushing yards for our backs..i hope im wrong but KM irks me, i find him irksome from the run game standpoint..lol

I would love to be a second half smash mouth football team. That’s what I want to run the **** out of them

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So its Moore's fault that he hands the ball to Zeke and he cant get in? Zeke has been sooo bad down by the GL that Moore had to start calling Dak's number down by the GL running it in.
If you’ve been reading the posts. He can’t get in because he’s gased from the first 80 yards

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Its a marathon not a race, esp considering the xtra game, extended season so would rather see Zeke time management executed better than it ever has been before in his career, it has to be.
Proper and responsible use of Zeke snaps will be crucial if this team has a chance leading in to post season play, Zeke must remain healthy and fresh, even Pollard.
As much as we praise the roster now post FA period, draft, OTAs... the RB3 remains a glaring weakness.
I’d like it to be a full back

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no set number I will just say we need more big plays in the running game and passing game and fewer fumbles from him. I have gotten to the point where the individual stats I don't care about, what I do care about are guys making big plays to help this team win, especially when you get to crunch time in a game and that 1 play can be the difference of winning or losing.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
So its Moore's fault that he hands the ball to Zeke and he cant get in? Zeke has been sooo bad down by the GL that Moore had to start calling Dak's number down by the GL running it in.
Not necessarily KM's fault that Zeke hasn't gotten the ball in, but his play calls have something to do with it. Seems like nothing but dives up the middle behind our worst run blocker (C williams). I think KM lacks imagination in the run game and opposing defenses know that, which makes it more difficult to run.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not necessarily KM's fault that Zeke hasn't gotten the ball in, but his play calls have something to do with it. Seems like nothing but dives up the middle behind our worst run blocker (C williams). I think KM lacks imagination in the run game and opposing defenses know that, which makes it more difficult to run.
:hammer:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Well, We've not made the playoffs since he entered the league unless he rushed for 1,400 yards. So, I'm going with at least 1,400 yards.
That excuse is getting old. Dallas doesn't need Elliott to make the playoffs.

Would have easy made them last season had Moore not benched our two WR's in Philly on 4th & goal calling the same play prior while division/game was on the line. Zeke didn't/couldn't get in on TWO tries. Yet some blame Dak. :rolleyes:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
That excuse is getting old. Dallas doesn't need Elliott to make the playoffs.

Would have easy made them last season had Moore not benched our two WR's in Philly on 4th & goal calling the same play prior while division/game was on the line. Zeke didn't/couldn't get in on TWO tries. Yet some blame Dak. :rolleyes:
Zeke needs to win the rushing title and rush for at least 1,400 yards for us to make the playoffs.

There is absolutely no evidence to the contrary on this point.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke needs to win the rushing title and rush for at least 1,400 yards for us to make the playoffs.

There is absolutely no evidence to the contrary on this point.
Winning the rushing title doesn't matter for anything other than personal recognition. Getting the yards is what matters to the team.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Winning the rushing title doesn't matter for anything other than personal recognition. Getting the yards is what matters to the team.
I agree, it shouldn't matter, but to this version of the Cowboys it seems to matter, because since Zeke has entered the league we have not made the playoffs unless he won the rushing title that year.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
We need a successful running game overall, and I think that will include Tony Pollard. We need about 110-120 yards per game on avg.
If this O line can be truly healthy & effective, I would go higher than that. Add in jet sweeps & other non RB runs.
Strong running game truly deflates defenses & is easier nowadays because defenses are built more to stop the pass.
The 2019 Ravens set the all time team mark at 3,296. Of course, Jackson had a 1,000 of that.
2500 yards / 17 games = 147\game average. 2200/17 = 129\game average.
So, I would say we need to be somewhere between 125-150 per game.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
17 games, 1700 yards would be ideal for Elliot. I’d like to see an average of 80 a game. The means he is running well and we have balance
average of 80 a game.=1360 lol that isnt very good.

I would say 100 avg per game, but with Kellen as OC, no way he gets more than 1400

ESisback

Reaction score
I think he goes for 1200. That's not the stat that will win us games tho. IMO no fumbling will help is win games more than huge rushing games. Just consistent play and no TOs. We'll be successful with that. Hopefully
More TDs, fewer fumbles

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
average of 80 a game.=1360 lol that isnt very good.

I would say 100 avg per game, but with Kellen as OC, no way he gets more than 1400
Zeke only had TWO more carries last year then he did in the season in which he was suspended 6 games.

Kellen Moore clearly wants to be pass happy and that has proven to be a losing formula for us since he took over in 2019.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I didn’t read thru all of these but the only times we’ve made the playoffs with this current core of talent is when Elliott led the league in rushing both times.

If we need Dak to lead the league in passing it probably means we are having to come back in games throwing the ball.

If Zeke leads the League in rushing it probably means we are getting out to early leads and controlling TOP which is probably a more favorable scenario for success.