Twitter: FA cuts next week could be a massacre

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Free agents this year are lucky the league put a floor of $175M and the cap will probably be around $180M after throwing some more money in to ease the pain.

Without the $175M floor, the cap would have been $160M. Imagine the massacre at that number.

Teams lost on average around $180-220M in 2020. That affects cash flow. All bonuses must be paid in cash up front and some other payments have to go to escrow. 2021 is a guess right now as far as revenue goes. The NFLPA is banking on huge tv contracts in 2023 and hoping teams put big spending on credit cards. I doubt the small market teams like Cin, Jax, Cle, Buf are on board with that.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Honest question -- If Dallas does end up tagging Dak, when do they actually have to have the $37.7M (or whatever it ends up being) available under the cap?

I am guessing immediately after they tag him the money has to be available on the cap.

Dak will sign in a split second for $37M guaranteed even if he can’t pass a physical or play a down this year.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
There may be a lot of big name players released, however, no team will be able to sign them for what they will want.
a job is better than no job...some FA's may have to face reality and come down on their asking price or do a 1 year contract.

MrPhil

Reaction score
I am guessing immediately after they tag him the money has to be available on the cap.

Dak will sign in a split second for $37M guaranteed even if he can’t pass a physical or play a down this year.

If that is the case, then it would seem like Dallas has some financial work to do between now and the deadline to tag players which I think is the 7th or the 9th.

erod

Reaction score
Cap is going down. Veterans get hurt a lot. Salaries have skyrocketed. Highly-paid players protect their brand and don't play hurt. Young players play through injury to earn their big payday.

Why pay huge money for anyone?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
If that is the case, then it would seem like Dallas has some financial work to do between now and the deadline to tag players which I think is the 7th or the 9th.

They don’t have to do much if they don’t intend to tag. They could restructure Zach Martin and Lawrence and be under $180M maybe. Don’t quote me on the number though.

MrPhil

Reaction score
They don’t have to do much if they don’t intend to tag. They could restructure Zach Martin and Lawrence and be under $180M maybe. Don’t quote me on the number though.

According to Over The Cap they are sitting at $19M under the projected $180.5M cap and I think that is before any carryover from last season. So, if they dont intend to tag Dak then they dont have to do anything before the 7th or the 9th.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
According to Over The Cap they are sitting at $19M under the projected $180.5M cap and I think that is before any carryover from last season. So, if they dont intend to tag Dak then they dont have to do anything before the 7th or the 9th.

Cool. Even better. Assume around $10M for draft picks and that might leave around $30M or so for FAs. Would need to sign a FA vet QB very quickly if they don’t intend on tagging Dak.

Turk

Reaction score
Cool. Even better. Assume around $10M for draft picks and that might leave around $30M or so for FAs. Would need to sign a FA vet QB very quickly if they don’t intend on tagging Dak.
Unlikely we will need more than $5 million in cap space to sign our rooks; the teams that need $10 million pick in the top 5.

garyv

Reaction score
Why? He cost 3.7 million against the cap. If we release him he cost 3.7 in dead money. 0 net gained.

Not picking up the 5th year option I get. But he’s too cheap to NOT keep around another year.

Unless the Cowboys brass (Quinn) thinks hes a liability when playing

MrPhil

Reaction score

If they don't tag Dak, I would expect them to sign a vet and draft one.