FA Needs and there is a lot of them!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There is always an abundance of fa needs every season due to how Stephen Jones and the front office operates. Every off-season they like to plug holes with bargain, 1 year contracts. This path recently hasn't brought much success, but until they decide to change, it's the way they operate:

In no particular order:

Quarterback-yes, Dak is technically unsigned, but he is either going to be playing on the franchise tag again or signs a long-term extension. My guess he gets tagged, but they reach an agreement as the last hour of the deadline.

Swing Offensive Tackle-although Cam Erving missed a few games, he did perform well in spot, starting duty. If the price is similar, would make sense to bring him back.

Defensive Tackle 1 Tech-Poe was a fa bust last off-season. After his release, forced them to trade for a low-level replacement. Team still controls A. Woods, but they need to find a better option.

Defensive Tackle 3 Tech-the front office never envisioned either Hill nor Gallimore to see starter reps last season as they just signed McCoy and they also had Crawford ahead of them. They will probably look for a veteran, bridge type player so these prospects aren't thrown in the fire as starters. This could be an area in which Aldon Smith could fill if they resigned him.

Defense End-as I just mentioned, Aldon Smith could be resigned. Not my first choice, but there are indications the front office would like to keep him in the fold. There really isn't much proven depth behind the starters. Perhaps a player who possesses some position flex.

Linebacker (2)-both Lee/Thomas are scheduled to become unrestricted fa's, nothing but young prospects or special teams players behind them. With the return of the 4-3 Base, they are going to need another starter and another backup who is capable of starting due to Lve's lack of durability. With so many question marks, it's unlikely Jaylon Smith gets released this off-season.

Corner-the team has only two notable corners under contract next season in Diggs and Anthony Brown. They either have to resign Awuzie/Lewis or sign a veteran who has starting experience at the position on the open market.

Safety (2)-three are under contract: Wilson appears to be the team's starting strong safety, Robinson has yet to play a single snap on defense, Thompson is a likely release candidate. Quinn's defense requires a quality single high free safety which is the need, as well as veteran depth. Although many won't like it, including me, Xavier Woods might be brought back at a low level.

With Dak needing to be resigned and the salary cap possibly going down, it's going to be difficult addressing all these needs. We will probably see a lot of contracts restructured and it is also possible to see a veteran starter being released to create more room.

JBS

Reaction score
Good piece. Very thorough. I don't expect the team to address 3T, that's just my opinion. I bet they roll w hill and gallimore. Not saying I agree, just what I expect to happen.

Imo,

Fs
Cb
Lb
1t

Are the 4 most critical needs of this team. In that order.

75boyz

Reaction score
Someone else already said it. 3 starters to build around on dee. Lawrence, Diggs and Wilson.

The whole 2nd line of defense(linebacking) is blanketed in injury uncertainty, plain poor play and an an albatross contract.

Starting offensive tackle is another HUGE question mark regarding long term health issues. At least Martin offers a viable RT option while Erving/Steele/Knight are spot starters at best. Not full season guys.

Self Scouting of the team. Whether performed by this staff and FO or this message board is the central problem.

I believe by their watching full game tape of every snap of each player would show very noticeable upgrade needs whether by drafting OR FAs. Im NOT an NFL GM.

Identifying "obvious" roster holes is easy if the FO and coaching staff can settle on a standard of what is an acceptable expectation out of each position. And if not performing to expectation, what is the repercussion. Here's where this post shifts to that old 'cultural' problem that starts at the top and continued by this HC.
I'll try not to highjack too much further but just say...

It goes way beyond filling perceived holes by us Joe lunch pail armchair GMs.

Add in the existing contract situations along with pending Dak negotiations and this entire coaching staff and it's a recipe for great times ahead.

Apologies again for non post related remarks to your primary thread topic.

Cowboys!

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FA needs will not be addressed in the first wave, the Cowboys are bottom feeders with FA's. The idiot son likes to use once bitten, twice shy as the excuse. He likes to point out FA failures because they are so average at evaluating not only the players but the needs on the team.

The Cowboys use FA to show they are using it but it is still the same mantra for this franchise. Good enough to sell out is good enough.

JBS

Reaction score
Someone else already said it. 3 starters to build around on dee. Lawrence, Diggs and Wilson.

The whole 2nd line of defense(linebacking) is blanketed in injury uncertainty, plain poor play and an an albatross contract.

Starting offensive tackle is another HUGE question mark regarding long term health issues. At least Martin offers a viable RT option while Erving/Steele/Knight are spot starters at best. Not full season guys.

Self Scouting of the team. Whether performed by this staff and FO or this message board is the central problem.

I believe by their watching full game tape of every snap of each player would show very noticeable upgrade needs whether by drafting OR FAs. Im NOT an NFL GM.

Identifying "obvious" roster holes is easy if the FO and coaching staff can settle on a standard of what is an acceptable expectation out of each position. And if not performing to expectation, what is the repercussion. Here's where this post shifts to that old 'cultural' problem that starts at the top and continued by this HC.

Add in the existing contract situations along with pending Dak negotiations and this entire coaching staff and it's a recipe for great times ahead.

Cowboys!

You can add Gregory to the list of defensive talent. So we have 4 players. We need 7 more.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There's no doubt they are going to need several strong drafts in a row to offset the mistakes made on contracts given out.

Idk, sometimes it feels like they can compete with a few additions, and then I get a little more honest with myself and realize that until there's someone around that is honest with Jerry about his pets cats stinking, nothing is going to change.

How you can publicly say that a player is one thing when the rest of the world sees something else gives me very little confidence.

fivetwos

Reaction score
FA needs will not be addressed in the first wave, the Cowboys are bottom feeders with FA's. The idiot son likes to use once bitten, twice shy as the excuse. He likes to point out FA failures because they are so average at evaluating not only the players but the needs on the team.

The Cowboys use FA to show they are using it but it is still the same mantra for this franchise. Good enough to sell out is good enough.
I think its more along the lines of the kid doesn't like paying top dollar for other peoples players.

But when it comes to paying their own, they get taken every time.

Wonder if daddy wanting to be buddies with those players affect that much.

Edit....maybe "taken" is a bit much, but I don't notice any huge discounts....even when the player is signed before reaching FA.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Cowboys!
I would add Gallimore to that list.

He got better as the season went on, and he should have his first NFL off-season coming up.

75boyz

Reaction score
There's no doubt they are going to need several strong drafts in a row to offset the mistakes made on contracts given out.

Idk, sometimes it feels like they can compete with a few additions, and then I get a little more honest with myself and realize that until there's someone around that is honest with Jerry about his pets cats stinking, nothing is going to change.

How you can publicly say that a player is one thing when the rest of the world sees something else gives me very little confidence.

Yeah,
I support this post.

JustChip

Reaction score
I believe they also have Canady. He was a Covid opt out. I think the teams still retain rights on opt outs. Now, he may not be worth a tinker’s durn, but he does bring expertise to the CB position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I believe they also have Canady. He was a Covid opt out. I think the teams still retain rights on opt outs. Now, he may not be worth a tinker’s durn, but he does bring expertise to the CB position.
He is more of a special teamer with his most experience being as a slot nickel corner. Team needs a veteran outside corner

Creeper

Reaction score
Reality check. The CAP dictates the Cowboys actions in free agency. If they franchise Dak be prepared for some no-name players being signed to fill the roster while their own free agents sign with other teams. we will see a purge similar to what we saw a just a few years ago. There will be no big names, unless they are over the hill players looking to squeeze out one more year before they retired.

Even if they sign Dak to a long term deal, it is going to be tough just to keep the players from their own roster. I am hoping they sign 1 of Lewis and Awuzie but I am thinking that's not going to happen. The Cowboys offseason is going to be about the draft. I believe they will have 10 draft picks and they need to hit on at least half of them.

I think their best strategy is CB in the 1st round (assuming they cannot sign either of their CBs), S in the 2nd round, LB in the 3rd and OL or Edge with their 3rd round comp pick. Although, if there is a Gallimore type DT there in the 3rd, take him. The rest of the draft should include more DBs and LBs and possibly a speedy RB or WR. If there was a Derrick Brown type DT in the draft, I would go that route instead of CB, but there is no player like him in this draft class. If the Cowboys cannot get one of the top CBs in round 1 I expect them to draft a DE. I don't think they are going to sign Aldon Smith and it looks like Anae is struggling to bring his college game to the NFL.

If they make one move in free agency, let it be DT. Dalvin Tomlinson or Sheldon Rankins would be good additions, but both are going to want good money so I don't think the Cowboys will look at either one of them. I will be shocked if the Cowboys solve all of their defensive problems in one off-season. It would not surprise me if they wait till the 4th round to draft a safety, and we wind up with Wilson and some other scrub playing safety next year.

And btw. I am not convinced Donovan Wilson is the answer yet. Remember, after their rookie seasons we thought Lewis and Xavier Woods were keepers too. In 3 years we found out Lewis is inconsistent and Woods is a flat out liability when he is on the field, and he does not believe in giving 100% on every down. Let's give Wilson another year before we declare him a solution to the safety problem.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good piece. Very thorough. I don't expect the team to address 3T, that's just my opinion. I bet they roll w hill and gallimore. Not saying I agree, just what I expect to happen.

Imo,

Fs
Cb
Lb
1t

Are the 4 most critical needs of this team. In that order.

Look for a healthy McCoy as a possibility. He expressed interest in returning, as Jerry did also. But his was after he was released on the injury settlement.
Still need to draft one also.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Reality check. The CAP dictates the Cowboys actions in free agency. If they franchise Dak be prepared for some no-name players being signed to fill the roster while their own free agents sign with other teams. we will see a purge similar to what we saw a just a few years ago. There will be no big names, unless they are over the hill players looking to squeeze out one more year before they retired.

Even if they sign Dak to a long term deal, it is going to be tough just to keep the players from their own roster. I am hoping they sign 1 of Lewis and Awuzie but I am thinking that's not going to happen. The Cowboys offseason is going to be about the draft. I believe they will have 10 draft picks and they need to hit on at least half of them.

I think their best strategy is CB in the 1st round (assuming they cannot sign either of their CBs), S in the 2nd round, LB in the 3rd and OL or Edge with their 3rd round comp pick. Although, if there is a Gallimore type DT there in the 3rd, take him. The rest of the draft should include more DBs and LBs and possibly a speedy RB or WR. If there was a Derrick Brown type DT in the draft, I would go that route instead of CB, but there is no player like him in this draft class. If the Cowboys cannot get one of the top CBs in round 1 I expect them to draft a DE. I don't think they are going to sign Aldon Smith and it looks like Anae is struggling to bring his college game to the NFL.

If they make one move in free agency, let it be DT. Dalvin Tomlinson or Sheldon Rankins would be good additions, but both are going to want good money so I don't think the Cowboys will look at either one of them. I will be shocked if the Cowboys solve all of their defensive problems in one off-season. It would not surprise me if they wait till the 4th round to draft a safety, and we wind up with Wilson and some other scrub playing safety next year.

And btw. I am not convinced Donovan Wilson is the answer yet. Remember, after their rookie seasons we thought Lewis and Xavier Woods were keepers too. In 3 years we found out Lewis is inconsistent and Woods is a flat out liability when he is on the field, and he does not believe in giving 100% on every down. Let's give Wilson another year before we declare him a solution to the safety problem.

I agree, it's going to take more then 1 off-season to fix this defense. Free Agency is pretty simple for me, stabilize both the DT1 and FS positions. This doesn't mean we need tier 1 fa signings, but players who can just be solid and bridge the position for the short-term.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Interesting question .....let say we $10-15M to spend ( after tagging or signing Dak ) but need to sign several free agents. Two options; you can fill all your free agent needs with all bottom feeders OR sign a couple of high-tier players ( Justin Simmons ) as starters but you're kinda forced to fill the rest of free needs with current backups and/or draft picks.

In other words, I'm thinking maybe it best just get a couple of quality day-one free-agent starters and fill the rest the best you can with our own backups and rookies.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I actually feel like we might be better off here than many think. Let's say Tyron tries to go and is done. La'el Collins was a left tackle in college and can probably take over there. We'd have several right tackle possibilities with Martin the best, especially with McGovern proving to be a viable guard. I'd personally like to see us prep Williams to play tackle since he has little chance of getting a second contract with us as a guard.

If both Smith and Collins are done, which I don't think is likely, then the situation's a little more sticky. The starting candidates would be Martin, Erving and possibly Williams. Frankly, I think Knight is a better RT candidate than he's being given credit for because he was playing out of position at LT this year, but I also think he is a solid player at guard if we had to move both Martin and Williams outside.

Granted, none of those combos are as good as a lineup with Smith and Collins at tackle and Martin at guard, but that's going to be hard to replicate no matter what.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Poe-McCoy-HaHa trio crashed and burned last year and that really hurt the Cowboys. Hopefully the FO learned something. McCoy could end up being a contributor which would help a lot. But the Cowboys got no return on their FA investment last year.

visionary

Reaction score
Interesting question .....let say we $10-15M to spend ( after tagging or signing Dak ) but need to sign several free agents. Two options; you can fill all your free agent needs with all bottom feeders OR sign a couple of high-tier players ( Justin Simmons ) as starters but you're kinda forced to fill the rest of free needs with current backups and/or draft picks.

In other words, I'm thinking maybe it best just get a couple of quality day-one free-agent starters and fill the rest the best you can with our own backups and rookies.

give me 2 immediate impact starters

1. Justin Simmons, FS
2. Dalvin Tomlinson, NT

2 problems solved

now trade down to 18-20 in rd 1 for an extra rd 2:

rd 1: Zaven Collins (starting LB)

Take the 2 rd 2 picks and trade up to get Barmore ( starting 3T) rotating with Gallimore

rd 3: take one of Shelvin/ Tonga/ McNeill ( to rotate at 1T DT with Tomlinson)

through only 3 rounds you gave the makings of a really really good defense

75boyz

Reaction score

Outstanding future speculation and player by player post. I'm totally onboard with ya all the way defensively. But if I'm totally honest with myself, the injury uncertainty at offensive tackle just kinda red flags my gut instinct that this position(s) should be considered an equal if not greater priority as well.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is always an abundance of fa needs every season due to how Stephen Jones and the front office operates. Every off-season they like to plug holes with bargain, 1 year contracts. This path recently hasn't brought much success, but until they decide to change, it's the way they operate:

Yeah I hate all these 1 year contracts. We have 26 to 35 FA's every year. They resign about half of them to keep the gaps filled. Even though many on here do not think any should. be signed. But there are many that make up a core group, decent depth. But if they stop these 1 years deals, and sign for 2 or 3 years, but better players. They would not be in this mess every year.

This needs to change. Now many of those could be the players and his agent, wanting only the 1 year, prove it type contract, to cash in on the next year. So it may not all be on the Jones's.
However they could just say no, and move to the next player, but they may not be as good, so take the 1 year deal. A lot we do not know about, so I will not rag on the FO about it too much. But I do wish those 1 year deals would stop for the most part.