Face Mask or Mouth Mask?

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by cml750, Oct 24, 2020.

1. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

4,602 Messages
    3,732 Likes Received
    For the last few months in my area the large majority of people (including myself) do not put the mask over their nose rather just their mouth. I am now actually seeing quite a few people going mask free. I see more and more doing this every day. Even though it is a requirement the stores still seem to let them in so I am not too far behind them. I am curious what things are like in other parts of the country? Are people still wearing their mask correctly or have they gone to "mouth mask" or mask free?

2. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

8,315 Messages
    7,178 Likes Received
    People by me in NJ wear masks all different kinds of ways wrong. But 99% are wearing them. But people are only wearing them inside stores. Gone is the social distancing. There used to be long lines because people would be 6 feet apart. That's no longer a thing. People line up right behind eachother like it used to be.

I do notice on occasion people wearing masks in their car at gas stations and at a drive thru. I don't go that far.

3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Moderator

46,761 Messages
    25,248 Likes Received
    In our part of western New York, mask compliance is high... With nose and mouth covering the vast majority (still).

EPL0c0, DallasEast and DoctorChicken like this.
  4. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    9,035 Likes Received
    It should be covering the nose. This is basic science.

Rona can yeet out the nose = cover your nose. It isn’t that hard. I do it every day, 10 hours a day, without issue.

5. MichaelWinicki

46,761 Messages
    25,248 Likes Received
    Exactly.

No one gets a thrill out of wearing a mask... But wear the thing the right way... Geez.

Centex and DoctorChicken like this.
  6. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

3,276 Messages
    1,492 Likes Received
    I don't really go many places but when I do I see people wearing masks for the most part. Was at the liquor store and someone came busting through the door not wearing a mask. The clerk stopped him and told him he had to wear a mask. He wrapped a snot trash around his face. I was paying for my stuff and the guy came up and stood right behind me ignoring the clear markings on the floor. Uncomfortably close even under normal times. I considered saying something to him but I just finished paying. He actually had to take a step back for me to be able to turn around to leave that's how close he was.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    DallasEast and MichaelWinicki like this.
  7. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

4,602 Messages
    3,732 Likes Received
    Here in Southeast Texas life is basically back to normal except for the mask mandate still in place which in my estimate maybe 25% follow completely by covering their mouth and nose. Social distancing like your situation at the liquor store went out the window here with the mask mandate. Nobody follows any 6 ft. guidelines. They still have the tape on the floor at the stores for the spacing but nobody pays any attention to it. Like I said in my original post there are more and more going mask free. When you say you do not go many places is that due to Covid or par for the course with you? I am just curious because it does not look like anyone in our area is staying home due to the virus. Stores and parking lots look to have very normal (pre-covid) levels.

DallasEast likes this.
  8. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

3,276 Messages
    1,492 Likes Received
    Some is due to COVID but some is not if that makes sense. Telework is definitely COVID. Most of my friends live in other states but the one couple that lives somewhat close we've only hung out at their house instead of maybe going to the bar. They work different schedules than me so maybe we'd get to hang out once a month pre-pandemic. Other than that through the week I was always at home in the evening even before.

cml750 and DallasEast like this.
  9. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

45,304 Messages
    30,234 Likes Received
    Louisiana instituted a mandatory mask mandate July 11. My personal observations are limited to a) daily routine travel locally (northeastern Louisiana), b) a handful of short visits to other areas of the state and c) television coverage or pics received from family/friends in other parts of the state through email, etc. My breakdown estimation for my state is:

30% Face mask (correctly worn)
    40% "Mouth mask" (any variation of incorrect use)
    30% No mask

Coincidentally, my local CBS news affiliate aired a story last night highlighting New Orleans recent tourism uptick--which is still a hot spot in my opinion. The reporter was asking how anyone felt about the mask mandate, which the mayor has been very vocal about compliance and enforcement. Two moments interested me most.

A visiting Alabama couple (maskless), in their late 50's/early 60's, were walking the French Quarter commenting on the gloomy atmosphere of the restaurant scene. They pledged their support for the city's restaurants by dining in a different one each day of their stay. When asked how they dealt with the mask mandate, they replied they would not wear masks unless asked or if they felt others around them would appreciate them doing so.

A local young woman, in her late teens/early 20's, said she must wear a mask only because she was avoiding the stiff fines for not wearing one. Her comment was quite animated. I 'sensed' she was totally against wearing a mask.

I have zero data to support my opinion but I remain completely dubious of any studies stating there is an average or higher degree of (American) public of wearing masks correctly. In my opinion, correct mask wearing is below average nationwide. It is the singular reason why I am equally dubious of any claims stating masks are irrelevant for combating the pathogen. Simply put, my thoughts are mask compliance remains so low overall that person-to-person transmission will continue at a high rate because not enough people place any barrier (no matter how controversial) between themselves and others.

Growing up in the 1960's and 1970's, I had high aspirations for what the 21st century would be like, especially in this country, if I were fortunate enough to live so long. I must say, this particular pandemic response was not an example of what I envisioned in my youth.

10. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

24,143 Messages
    26,315 Likes Received
    From what I've seen, non-mask wearing has been rising steadily. Up to about 30-40% in supermarkets. On the main street of our town, which is a major tourist trap, non-mask wearing is about 90% on most days. Doubt if I've seen masks worn by more than maybe a quarter of the people on any given day. BTW, I consider masks worn under the nose to be non-mask wearing.

As to your last paragraph, manalive, you are not joking. We are regressing as a society.

11. lukin2006

lukin2006 Well-Known Member

8,378 Messages
    14,939 Likes Received
    If lockdown and mask work. how come Ontario is experiencing record cases??? Just sayin'

cml750 likes this.
  12. DallasEast

45,304 Messages
    30,234 Likes Received
    From my observations, I would suggest those percentages are closer to 60% to 70%. My reasoning is not wearing masks correctly equals complete non-mask wearing.

Frankly, I am not certain why anyone wears masks incorrectly. Sure, a small (probably tiny) percentage do not comprehend that the nose is part of the human respiratory system. That does not account for those who do understand what their nose does for them when they breathe--while actually willfully trying to comply with mask mandates. The sheer contradiction is perplexing for me.

13. kskboys

24,143 Messages
    26,315 Likes Received
    Got the answer. They don't believe in/want to wear a mask, so they have it on thinking it will stop mask believers from looking down on them, possibly attacking them. Hoping no one will notice, so to speak.

Depends on where you're at. In the supermarkets here in small town USA, it was only about 30-40% w/o masks. I also included the masks worn incorrectly.

Other places I've seen much higher percentages not wearing masks.

14. kskboys

24,143 Messages
    26,315 Likes Received
    Because masks/lockdowns only slow it down.

Noclaf and lukin2006 like this.
  15. DallasEast

45,304 Messages
    30,234 Likes Received
    I was not referring to anyone not believing or desiring masks. My observation is for those who believe in masks and wear them as a barrier for themselves.

Certainly, there are definitely those who do not believe in masks and are obstinate about wearing them. Way too many (humongous understatement) in my opinion.

16. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

4,876 Messages
    2,362 Likes Received
    Here in part of the FL panhandle mask compliance is very high. When I go to Sam's/The Home Depot/Lowe's/Winn-Dixie I would estimate it's 90%. Nobody at my old job (3 weeks ago) and my new job (1 week ago) wear masks. I will be working from home so it won't be an issue.

17. bb721

bb721 Well-Known Member

936 Messages
    1,250 Likes Received
    Don’t know where you’re from, and don’t care, but I’m glad I don’t live there. The vast majority of the people where I live act responsibly. And before you start with your “I don’t live in fear” bs, don’t bother. Fear has nothing to do with it, it’s about showing respect and concern for others.

18. MichaelWinicki

46,761 Messages
    25,248 Likes Received
    As Kevin has pointed out the number of cases isn't necessarily a main indicator.

You have to consider the number of tests being given. More testing can quite often mean more cases.

A more meaningful statistic is the percentage of people testing positive and yes, Ontario providence has had an increase in those testing positive.

A potentially very valid reason for the increase we're seeing in Ontario is due to the Canadian Thanksgiving that was October 12th, which is traditionally a large family gathering much like an American Thanksgiving– And it's doubtful social distancing and mask wearing were adhered to at many of these gatherings.

As ugly as the numbers are presently in the US I would expect they'll get even uglier about 12 days after our Thanksgiving.

If you want to see a graph of an area where social distancing and mask compliance have been in full force since mid-April:

[​IMG]
    Wearing a mask, social distancing, washing your hands, testing & tracing.

For the most part have been able to keep the beast under control.

But it takes leadership at the top and the discipline to keep doing what you have to do in order to help protect others.

It's not rocket surgery.

Noryb, Noclaf and DallasEast like this.
  19. nightrain

nightrain Since 1971

7,678 Messages
    12,553 Likes Received
    Wear your mask and cover your entire face. Matter of fact, I suggest a plastic bag full over the head for some people.

nate dizzle and MichaelWinicki like this.
  20. DallasEast

45,304 Messages
    30,234 Likes Received