Face Mask or Mouth Mask?

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by cml750, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

37,525 Messages
    7,294 Likes Received
    People are still wearing them in my area but other parts of the state have basically abandoned it all together. Up north, a vote was just held to remove the mask mandate all together. Also heard one of the colleges (BYU-Idaho) to the east had to formally tell students not to intentionally contract COVID. I guess you can donate plasma for about $800/month or so.

Not surprising that we are now at record highs (almost daily) for cases. Took us 3 months to reach 3,500 cases total when things began. We're now doubling that amount every single week with about 1,000 per day.

EPL0c0, DallasEast and MichaelWinicki like this.
  2. lukin2006

lukin2006 Well-Known Member

8,326 Messages
    14,857 Likes Received
    I suppose your right...

3. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

23,046 Messages
    25,197 Likes Received
    You asked why people wear the masks under their noses. I was simply explaining why they do it.

cml750 likes this.
  4. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

44,899 Messages
    29,374 Likes Received
    Except it is not true for every person wearing them that way.

5. Noclaf

Noclaf Well-Known Member

1,039 Messages
    1,514 Likes Received
    Its been I think 3 months since the mask became required. Slowly but surely the cases here in CA have gone down, I see many more people using mask. But here is why it will never be perfect. A few weeks ago my brother in law passed, last Friday they had the funeral, very few were allowed. But after that they had like a wake at my sisters house, she begged me to go so I did, luckily it was outside and they used a ton of fans and I kept my distance and wore a N95. But I would say out of the 30 or so people the were there only 10 had mask on the rest nothing and they all sat at tables, chatting up a storm. Alot of these were people in their 70s. I sat by my sister for about 5 min with my N95 then would get up and move far away. My job is now disinfecting Amazon here and they are very tuff on mask and keeping 6 feet apart. Thank god im in a full face respirator and all the PPE you could need, if you look at their numbers its about 20k infected out of 7+ million employees, that is very good considering they are all in a building for 8 hours

MichaelWinicki likes this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

4,583 Messages
    3,716 Likes Received
    :facepalm: I am glad you do not live in my area too.

lane likes this.
  7. Kevinicus

Kevinicus Well-Known Member

17,532 Messages
    10,236 Likes Received
    It's really not.

"Follow the science"

Noclaf likes this.
  8. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

15,295 Messages
    20,898 Likes Received
    I've noticed more people ignoring the mask rule here. And I doubt retail workers really care to get an argument over it either. The people who don't wear masks always look like they are dying for an argument here.

And probably 25% of the people who wear masks in public indoor areas move the mask off their mouth to talk to one another/ or on the phone.

9. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

7,901 Messages
    6,878 Likes Received
    The NFL coaches are wearing them wrong too. Half the time they're wearing them below the nose or not at all. Especially when they want to talk. Off goes the mask, then they put it back.

10. kskboys

23,046 Messages
    25,197 Likes Received
    Of course. I wasn't claiming 100%. However, that describes the large majority.

11. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

44,899 Messages
    29,374 Likes Received
    Okay.

12. Kevinicus

17,532 Messages
    10,236 Likes Received
    "Case" numbers are 100% meaningless.

13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

37,525 Messages
    7,294 Likes Received
    Based on? There is a pretty consistent mortality rate, both locally and nationally. The more identified cases, the more deaths there will be. Kind of makes sense that a virus that can kill people will kill more people if there are more people who contract the virus. Here, we've been hovering around 1% mortality since late-spring, which is pretty good compared to the national mortality rate. Based on our number of cases in the last week, 50 more deaths that will occur from the recent positives and that's nearly 8% of our total death count as of today. 8% of our current total number of deaths since March 13th will occur from the number of cases that have been identified in the past week. How is that 100% meaningless?

Furthermore, one of the facilities in our system has about 210 beds and there are currently 70 COVID positive patients admitted there. 1/3 of the hospital is currently occupied by patients that didn't exist 1 year ago. How is that meaningless?

If you don't want to believe it then don't believe it. The data is pretty clear. More absolute cases equals more absolute deaths. How that can be meaningless is a complete mystery to me.

Noclaf, DallasEast and MichaelWinicki like this.
  14. Kevinicus

17,532 Messages
    10,236 Likes Received
    This is not accurate at all. You don't even know when deaths occurred, but rather when they were reported.

It's not logical at all either.

10,000 cases exist, 100 are identified, 10 die. 1,000 cases exist, 200 are identified, 1 dies.
    Identifying more (especially with pretty useless and inaccurate means) doesn't mean more people have it and will die.

By mortality, are you using CFR?

Whose numbers are you using? Where is "here?" Why the "late Spring" differentiation?

You are just making things up about the future and trying to use that to support your argument? Come on, man.

Covid "positive" doesn't mean they are in the hospital for COVID. It means they are in the hospital WITH a positive PCR test. They could be in the hospital for completely different reasons.

You are right about one thing. The data is clear, and it says, case counts are meaningless, inaccurate, and not representative. And useless for trending.

You're not even accounting for testing numbers.

Looking at "cases" is a sure fire way to know when someone really doesn't know what to look for.

ICU (for, not with, COVID) and deaths (date of, not reported) is the measuring stick to gauge by.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  15. nate dizzle

nate dizzle Well-Known Member

2,517 Messages
    3,849 Likes Received
    Exactly. If my residents with COPD and Emphysema can wear one all day without any negative impact, then wearing one when you go into a store for 15 minutes shouldn't be an issue for anyone else.

16. nate dizzle

2,517 Messages
    3,849 Likes Received
    That's the idea.

17. kskboys

23,046 Messages
    25,197 Likes Received
    So, you want it to hang around longer? I don't get it.

Kevinicus likes this.
  18. nate dizzle

2,517 Messages
    3,849 Likes Received
    I know. The point is to keep the spread and hospitalizations at a manageable level until there is a viable treatment or vaccine. Wearing a mask has nothing at all to do with how long it's going to hang around.

19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

31,348 Messages
    14,762 Likes Received
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

31,348 Messages
    14,762 Likes Received

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2020
    Kevinicus likes this.