Face Mask or Mouth Mask?

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by cml750, Oct 24, 2020.

1. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

24,143 Messages
    26,315 Likes Received
    By the time the vaccine is ready for universal dispersal, the virus will be mostly passed.

Kevinicus likes this.
  2. kskboys

24,143 Messages
    26,315 Likes Received
    They could throw a number out there, but there are simply too many circumstances for that number to be accurate.

3. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

45,304 Messages
    30,234 Likes Received
    "Passed?"

4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

56,323 Messages
    24,528 Likes Received
    Well, maybe, maybe not. I mean, there are reports that the vaccine might be available as early as this year. I am not so sure that the Virus is going anywhere anytime soon. It could play out a few different ways IMO.

5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Moderator

46,761 Messages
    25,248 Likes Received
    The whole "how long it lasts is rather nebulous" at this point. Just do not know. Different folks have given different estimations.

I'm sure over time it will sort itself out.

But we could be in the situation where one receives a yearly Covid 19 vaccine.

6. DallasEast

45,304 Messages
    30,234 Likes Received
    Very few public health recommendations are ever considered accurate in the world population's opinion. That is a given.

kskboys likes this.
  7. kskboys

24,143 Messages
    26,315 Likes Received
    Available to the most at risk. Not universally, that is a horse of a different color.

8. kskboys

24,143 Messages
    26,315 Likes Received
    A high enough percentage will have caught it where it will no longer be highly dangerous for this round.

9. DallasEast

45,304 Messages
    30,234 Likes Received
    That is quite a definitive statement.

10. kskboys

24,143 Messages
    26,315 Likes Received
    That is the way I perceive this disease. I do not take it lightly, I do not declare that masks don't work, I do feel for the people who won't make it. However, I see the extreme damage that shutting down does, and since the vaccine won't be ready for a while(Prolly next year), and may not be universally ready til possibly a bit later next year, the best route appears to be to simply move on and deal w/ the repercussions as best we can. At this point, it honestly appears that shutting things down is a worse answer than almost any other. The damage could honestly be insurmountable.

There is no easy answer to this, and there is no clear way out. It's a guess, a very harsh guess.

11. ABQCOWBOY

56,323 Messages
    24,528 Likes Received
    I don't know. I've heard many different things on the availability of treatments and when and how many etc. Honestly, I don't want to get into that because it will take us down a path that will be against the rules of the board.

kskboys likes this.
  12. MichaelWinicki

46,761 Messages
    25,248 Likes Received
    We just don't know how long natural immunity will last. The answers seem to be all over the board.

Vaccines have "saved our bacon" before and will no doubt do it again.

My mother had polio prior to the development of the polio vaccine... And did she suffer. I can't imagine the world having to struggle with that disease.

Of course there is no guarantee on anything, but considering how close we are with several potential vaccines... I don't see how going any route except the vaccine route makes sense.

I'll tell ya ABQ, if there weren't so many potential vaccines on the cusp at this point I would be more inclined to agree with you.

13. kskboys

24,143 Messages
    26,315 Likes Received
    I respect your opinion. Respect it deeply.

The difference, IMO, is that polio was very crippling to many people. Covid isn't.

14. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

3,276 Messages
    1,492 Likes Received
    :huh:Umm.....

15. MichaelWinicki

46,761 Messages
    25,248 Likes Received
    I believe the vast majority of the country is willing to wait for a vaccine.

If several potential vaccine's weren't already far into the pipeline then I my change my tune, but being they are, I don't see a major change in the direction of the country as far as going the direction of herd immunity.

16. ABQCOWBOY

56,323 Messages
    24,528 Likes Received
    Well, we don't know how reliable the whole "Vaccine" deal is, to be honest. We also don't know what the cost will be. Things that we really can't discuss on the board may play a huge role here Mikhail. We've recently been told that these Vaccines will be provided to the general public, in sufficient quantities, for free but, that could all change depending on who is making policy, what the relationships are between administrations and whichever Farma are manufacturing and even which one is selected to be the primary treatment. Mike, there are ridiculous amounts of money involved here and I don't kid myself, in terms of what is driving a lot of the rhetoric that we are now seeing play out. That honestly shouldn't come into play over this virus but it is happening right now.

I tell you Mike, you know me better then most, you know I'm not stupid and you know I don't wear tinfoil hats. A lot of what's going on right now, in things we can't discuss on this board are about the money associated with this virus. This virus is being used to drive agendas and that is why we are seeing things being reported and even not reported, about this virus. It's a damn shame too because we shouldn't be playing games around this thing. This is why I don't trust anything that creates the potential for permanent change around peoples lives. You can't trust with those kinds of things because there is always somebody willing to take advantage of the situation and use it to their own benefit, at the cost of everybody else. I don't trust these people Mikey. Seen it too many times.

kskboys and MichaelWinicki like this.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

56,323 Messages
    24,528 Likes Received
    Well, if you are not here to discuss what is being discussed, then why did you respond? Clearly, you must have know that you were not discussing the same topic, as you so clearly point out here, in your post. So why then, did you do it?

I said masks don't work and won't work, in context to the type of masks available to the general public now, which are N95 masks, which are not readily available. Do you dispute that? If you don't, then your entire stated reason as to why you posted the above, is out the window josee.

But since you bring it up, masks don't work and won't work. Show me any scientific proof that they do and we can continue on with this discussion. If you can't show me that, which you can't because the proof, outside of hearsay doesn't exist, then just go your own way on this and believe what you will but don't try and tell me anything on the subject because you have no proof. None.

Articles about mask based on spread patterns aren't proof. They are sales techniques designed to drive sales. If you don't have scientific evidence peer reviewed by science as a whole, then there is no proof.

So go ahead, show me the proof.

18. DallasEast

45,304 Messages
    30,234 Likes Received
    Shutdowns remain a highly economic and psychological concern. However, my conversational focus remains on the virus alone and its impact upon people. So when you stated:
    --it caught my attention, likely due to my personal view of micro and macro society.

Severe illness and/or deaths are viewed differently by different self-perspectives. Personally, I am empathetic for each life associated with a number.

For me, highly dangerous does not mean lower cases, smaller instances of severe illness, or 'minimal' fatal outcomes for a certain percentage of the greater whole. Instead, highly dangerous means someone, anyone, any person, anybody, etc., shall possibly become dependent upon life sustaining hospitalization or will perish. So, will no longer be highly dangerous for this round, in this particular instance, for me, means someone, anyone, any person, anybody, etc., contracting the virus will have moderate to zero symptoms for this round or any subsequent round for that matter.

Then again, I am not necessarily a numbers person when it comes to illnesses and their probable consequences. In my opinion, this latest tweak of nature will be around for a long time, not unlike countless other biological challenges spawned by it. My only question remains how humanity will try overcoming it for everyone despite the odds of never squashing it in its entirely. Meanwhile, I pray as few people as possible in this world, will find it necessary to say Covid-19 was highly dangerous for loved ones, friends, acquaintances or even themselves.

19. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

26,750 Messages
    5,683 Likes Received
    I've already told you twice why I responded and that is because you said masks don't work. Then you said you didn't say that and now you are saying you did say that. I provided a link of researchers in Japan showing that masks do work, but are not perfect. They did tests with both N95 masks and cotton masks and found masks can help reduce the spread of covid to varying degrees. You completely discount this which is okay, but this research does exist. I just dispute that masks have a zero percent impact. That is all and the only part of the discussion I jumped in on, but you keep wanting to turn it into something else. I'm not going to force anyone to wear a mask and I don't support forcing people to do so. My opinion is that masks do help to a degree and when I see someone say they don't work at all I will definitely jump in and disagree with them. I don't claim to have definitive answers like you do on this matter.

20. kskboys

24,143 Messages
    26,315 Likes Received
    Absolutely. I feel for every individual who gets sick from this. Scared the bejeezers out of me when my nephew got it. Luckily he was one of the huge majority who were barely sick.

Now, for the flipside. We absolutely cannot make decisions concerning this entire nation based on a small number of individuals. The numbers absolutely must be considered when deciding how to handle this. Ruining millions of people's lives to save a few would be highly highly detrimental. As denizens of the US, of course we care about anyone who is harmed. As we should. Luckily it is not up to the individual to make the tough decisions. There is no easy decision here, no easy out.