Face Mask or Mouth Mask?

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by cml750, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

37,746 Messages
    7,489 Likes Received
    I would imagine it's just an oversight in the language based on the general belief that anyone spending a significant amount of time in your house likely lives there.

DallasEast likes this.
  2. LACowboysFan1

LACowboysFan1 Well-Known Member

6,156 Messages
    3,715 Likes Received
    That's what I said "...mask use isn't beneficial in the long run..." We don't disagree...

kskboys likes this.
  3. EST_1986

EST_1986 Well-Known Member

8,074 Messages
    11,504 Likes Received
    feel sorry for you and your area, wished they're were brighter people voting

4. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

21,130 Messages
    4,910 Likes Received
    I hate wearing facial cloth and only do so when required. I do prefer a gaiter if I had the choice but one of them doesn't go well with the suits I have to wear to the office. I do query as well about the efficacy of the PCR test re the number of infections. I get exponential spread etc but damn are there really that many catching it daily? Even with the large growth, less than 1% of Canadians have it, and what 3% of Americans. Yet people are making out like the Monty Python skit "bring out your dead" is occurring on every street in North America.

Jammer likes this.
  5. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

24,294 Messages
    26,484 Likes Received
    More like brighter people posting.

Kevinicus likes this.
  6. EST_1986

EST_1986 Well-Known Member

8,074 Messages
    11,504 Likes Received
    must feel cool being that bad ***

7. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

24,294 Messages
    26,484 Likes Received
    Must feel childish having a strange need to throw insults at people who don't agree w/ you.

Kevinicus likes this.
  8. DandyDon52

DandyDon52 Well-Known Member

13,403 Messages
    8,600 Likes Received
    they work but only in limited manner.
    There are many ways to still get the covid.

My question is why there is no encouragement for people to wear gloves of some type, any type even leather or fabric, is better than raw hands.
    people could have covid on their hands, being just a carrier, and then everything they touch can spread it to someone else.

9. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

8,423 Messages
    7,271 Likes Received
    I asked this question a loooooong time ago. I don't remember the response. Given my occupation I don't believe it is easily transmitted through touch. But how do we really know? How many people wash their hands the moment they take off their mask?

DandyDon52 likes this.
  10. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

45,355 Messages
    30,336 Likes Received
    I have long thought health officials encourage hand washing over wearing gloves was an attempt for better compliance from individuals to more often help mitigate pathogen spread. What everyone knows (or should know) is touching or exposing your hands to contamination invites more opportunities to transfer contamination elsewhere. Thus, the goal is addressing the contamination purposefully and often.

Wearing gloves does not entice the same degree of personal diligence. People put gloves on and typically adopt a sense of personal protection for themselves only, thinking gloves are a barrier between their hands and contamination. This is true. However, contamination does not disappear simply because it never reaches anyone's hands. It remains on the gloves and can then be transferred elsewhere.

In healthcare, gloves are normally worn and discarded after each intended use. This practice is done to increase opportunities of removing contamination from the equation. This is not how the general public would normally think of using gloves. The common approach would be wearing a single pair of gloves for long stretches of time.

It is important (I think) to understand what health officials actually want from the general public in regards to hand cleaning. Here are the CDC's recommendations:

Key Times to Wash Hands
    You can help yourself and your loved ones stay healthy by washing your hands often, especially during these key times when you are likely to get and spread germs:

• Before, during, and after preparing food
    • Before and after eating food
    • Before and after caring for someone at home who is sick with vomiting or diarrhea
    • Before and after treating a cut or wound
    • After using the toilet
    • After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has used the toilet
    • After blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
    • After touching an animal, animal feed, or animal waste
    • After handling pet food or pet treats
    • After touching garbage
    The guidance for the list of key times to wash hands was developed based on data from a number of studies. There can also be other times when it is important to wash hands.

To prevent the spread of germs during the COVID-19 pandemic, you should also wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol to clean hands BEFORE and AFTER:

• Touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
    • Touching your mask
    • Entering and leaving a public place
    • Touching an item or surface that may be frequently touched by other people, such as door handles, tables, gas pumps, shopping carts, or electronic cashier registers/screens
    Follow Five Steps to Wash Your Hands the Right Way
    Washing your hands is easy, and it’s one of the most effective ways to prevent the spread of germs. Clean hands can stop germs from spreading from one person to another and throughout an entire community—from your home and workplace to childcare facilities and hospitals.

Follow these five steps every time.

1. Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
    2. Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
    3. Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
    4. Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
    5. Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
    When and How to Wash Your Hands | Handwashing | CDC

The above is what health officials want from individuals, even though they understand a significant number of people will take a lax approach to proactive handwashing during each day. That said, it is logical assuming compliance will be higher to some degree for handwashing overall than glove users constantly and consistently changing their gloves throughout each day. As a side note, I am more thankful for this philosophy during a time when PPE (such as gloves) availability is in short supply for the general public.

11. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

26,931 Messages
    46,449 Likes Received
    The compliance with masks has been inconsistent where I live, in the Hill Country in Texas, with some downright defiant in businesses and the enforcement of "required" masking is non-existent. The social distancing is the better idea but the best idea of all is to just watch out for number one and your family.

What many are unaware of is that this anti-masking thing isn't new, they had this same challenge 100 years ago with the Spanish Flu and that was deadlier than this.

I wear a mask in public but I am more aware of the presence of others and possible contagions than anytime in my life. If a store is too crowded for social distancing, I simply don't go in. I took advantage of Costco senior hour in the morning and there wasn't anyone within 20' of me.

I am lucky as I am retired and am not forced to be around people and can better plan my exposure to them and this social distancing is the best thing since sliced bread.

DallasEast likes this.
  12. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

8,423 Messages
    7,271 Likes Received
    That pretty much describes what I do at work. But I do wear gloves most of the time.

I touch my mask quite often. Hey, they want us to wear a mask in the booth. Depending on the day, I could go 5 to 15 minutes with no vehicles. Midnight shift maybe 30 to 45 minutes. I'm not sitting there alone in the booth wearing a mask.

DallasEast likes this.
  13. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

45,355 Messages
    30,336 Likes Received
    I would not blame you. :p Mask mandates are implemented for interpersonal interactions. In other words, an individual should wear a mask if one or more people are in their general vicinity (i.e. within 6-13 feet). I doubt anyone would enforce your not wearing a mask while isolated in the working environment circumstance you described.

On the other hand, my (not talking about a health official, etc./just me) expectation would be that you would begin fully putting on your mask as my vehicle approached your booth and keep it on while we interacted. I would have my mask on as well. As I was driving away from your booth, I would expect you to do the exact same thing as I would do--which would be taking my mask off immediately.

In my opinion, an employee will ask an employee to follow recommendations to as close to the letter as possible. However, I also think most employers will take specific circumstances under consideration if an employee does not follow a recommendation. To your knowledge, do you know of any co-workers who have been cited by your employer for not wearing a mask when they were all alone inside their booth without interacting with customers?

14. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

4,605 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    Recently I have noticed more people in my area are wearing the mask over their noses. I would say the compliance is up to close to 50% right now. I am not sure if that is because people are more worried about the virus or if the cooler weather just makes it easier to breath through a mask. I suspect the latter. I have also noticed a big uptick in people not wearing a mask at all. Just about every time I go somewhere I see at least a person or two without a mask. Nobody ever says anything to them. I am still wearing a "mouth mask" however I am VERY close to going mask-less. People are still behaving normally here as far as shopping goes. Stores were packed for Black Friday with almost zero social distancing. Other than people wearing mask you would never know there is a pandemic going on. I thank the good Lord I live in Texas rather than somewhere else with a truly power hungry governor.

Jammer likes this.
  15. Kevinicus

Kevinicus Well-Known Member

17,690 Messages
    10,355 Likes Received
    You would suggest he go through hundreds (thousands?) of mask every day, if he followed proper mask protocol?

16. Quickdraw

Quickdraw Well-Known Member

732 Messages
    1,324 Likes Received
    Actually they don't. There is no proof that it got better. In fact, there's more proof that things didn't get better.

kskboys likes this.
  17. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

22,889 Messages
    44,150 Likes Received
    Hong Kong has 8 million people in a congested area. They have 97% mask compliance. Hearing about any massive Covid outbreaks?

We spend more time finding excuses why this doesn't work and that doesn't work, because we can't be bothered with it. I've been in enough public restrooms to see most people can't even take the time to wash their hands.

The virus is spreading here in ways it isn't in other parts of the world. That's not an accident. It's a result of 'Merican behavior. We want to "live my life", well go right ahead. Just stop complaining about lockdowns and the like that come as a result of being too selfish/lazy to make any effort to curb it. Can't wait to see the post-holiday spike, because it's definitely coming.

18. Kevinicus

Kevinicus Well-Known Member

17,690 Messages
    10,355 Likes Received
    Newsglash: No two places are the same. There are a huge number of variables (way way more than masks). You can find places with people wearing masks and lots of cases. You can find places with masks and few cases. You can find places with no masks and few cases.

Health, cross immunity and other factors are likely far far more relevant.

And yes...it is spreading in other parts of the world lile it is in the U.S.

cml750 likes this.
  19. Quickdraw

Quickdraw Well-Known Member

732 Messages
    1,324 Likes Received
    You really want to rely on reports from China? Think about what you're saying. 1 billion people and less deaths. Remember, there are only roughly 10,000 actual Covid caused deaths in the USA. All other deaths are a result of other factors but the person tested positive for covid so they count it. But also, most tests are not reliable. In fact, they are only 3% reliable. A common cold can test positive.

It's your choice to live in fear, but the data isn't there to support the hysteria.

One last fun fact for you. Right now, we are below the death count for the entire 2019 year by around 500,000. If covid was so life threatening, wouldn't the number for 2020 be much higher at this point?

Facts matter.

20. Rustinpeace21

Rustinpeace21 Well-Known Member

996 Messages
    480 Likes Received

You should bring all these facts to world leaders. Can’t believe they all sacrificed trillions of dollars for their respective economies, without your facts.

DallasEast and MichaelWinicki like this.