Video: Fair and balanced analysis of Dak Prescott

pansophy

Reaction score
I thought the video had excellent analysis. He puts things into focus as to Dak's strengths and weaknesses. It's encouraging that his strengths are the mental side of the game -- reading defenses, protecting the ball. But that weakness of being inaccurate on the outside throws is a big one. So the million dollar question is will he improve in that area? If he gets better in that area, then we've got our man, no doubt. If not, then this team is living with a big limitation.

Do you believe he'll get better in that area?
I'm hopeful. He did seem to be making more intermediate sideline throws at the end of last year. They had absolutely been missing up until that point, and it seemed like he was anticipating better. I thought, and posted towards the end of last season, that we might be watching him turn the corner as a passer.

Some of the soundbites coming out of OTAs seem to confirm that observation. Dak has said things were starting to really click for him at the end of the year. If you believe the reports from OTAs it also sounds like he has improved his accuracy. If his anticipation is better he'll actually have a bit more margin of error on his throws, so even a bit more accurate should make a big difference in results.

I would have liked to see him put it all together before paying him a huge contract, but I'm sure the team has more certainty about where he is as a passer than we do as outside observers. If they are ready to pay him then so be it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't mistake statistics that are subject to interpretation for facts. Does that stat really reflect accuracy, or does it just reflect who has to throw to WRs that are unable to get much separation. If you watch the actual video that is the source of this thread you'll see that he has been in accurate on specific kinds of throws downfield that is having a big impact on how defenses are playing him. He is compensating by making throws he is good.

Don't mistake his ability to stick with what he does well with being an accurate passer.

Don't mistake "stick with what he does well" with the conservative, boring, nature of the play calling and scheme.

And the articles I posted simply fly in the face of the over exaggerations that you claim. That Dak is inaccurate in tight windows and deep.

Dak has the arm and can make ALL the throws. Whether he is always comfortable throwing them in certain situations or with certain receivers is a matter of debate. But whatever he is doing is working just fine. Especially for a 3rd year QB.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm hopeful. He did seem to be making more intermediate sideline throws at the end of last year. They had absolutely been missing up until that point, and it seemed like he was anticipating better. I thought, and posted towards the end of last season, that we might be watching him turn the corner as a passer.

Some of the soundbites coming out of OTAs seem to confirm that observation. Dak has said things were starting to really click for him at the end of the year. If you believe the reports from OTAs it also sounds like he has improved his accuracy. If his anticipation is better he'll actually have a bit more margin of error on his throws, so even a bit more accurate should make a big difference in results.

I would have liked to see him put it all together before paying him a huge contract, but I'm sure the team has more certainty about where he is as a passer than we do as outside observers. If they are ready to pay him then so be it.

I hope you're right. That would be great if he's turned the corner and he licks that weakness of outside passes. QB is the hardest position to shore up. If Dak ended up not being the guy, then we would need to do something like draft a QB with our #1, and even possibly trade to move up like the Eagles and Rams did with Wentz and Goff, and that's ZERO guarantee that you get your guy. It worked for us when we drafted Aikman and mostly when we drafted Morton (though Staubach ended up beating him out). It's just such a hard position to fill. If it works out with Dak, that's a huge relief that we don't have to go QB shopping.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Dak's flat footed over throws are always going to be there. Dak struggling to throw floaters is always going to be there. But his timing with his wide receivers will get better and his downfield accuracy will get better. He really needs to learn how to throw the ball away instead of taking sacks. 26 to 28 a year is fair.

Trevor Lawrence 2021.
I believe that you are exactly 180 degrees wrong from conventional wisdom. The things that you say are always going to be there are actually things that a player can work on and get much better at. However, accuracy is one of those things that is VERY difficult to improve. As Aikman said, "I think as a quarterback when you're inaccurate, ..., you usually do not overcome that."

And as far as timing goes, well; it takes two to Tango. If you want to work on timing over and over, you need the receivers to also want to put in extra work AND give their full effort. Just putting in the time is not enough.

Hadenough

Reaction score
And as far as timing goes, well; it takes two to Tango. If you want to work on timing over and over, you need the receivers to also want to put in extra work AND give their full effort. Just putting in the time is not enough.
I think this is where the collective bargaining agreement comes in. These players dont have to and usually dont go out of their way to meet in the off season to do some extra work. But you have to be accurate for the timing to work well.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I'm hopeful. He did seem to be making more intermediate sideline throws at the end of last year. They had absolutely been missing up until that point, and it seemed like he was anticipating better.
And I've posted this before too, but that was all about the development of Gallup.

Prescott 2018
10-19 yd targets only, outside the numbers only
to Beasley/Cooper
completion rate 72% 194 yd 1 td 0 int 125.6
to all others
completion rate 47% 328 yd 3 td 3 int 62.5

Notice how Gallup's intermediate routes had improved after 12 games.

Games 13-18
CATCH RATE on 10-19 yard targets
Gallup 67% (10 of 15)
Cooper 63% (10 of 16)
Beasley 75% (3 of 4)

Gallup 2018
Weeks 1-12
21% (3 of 14)
Weeks 13-18
67% (10 of 15)

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I believe that you are exactly 180 degrees wrong from conventional wisdom. The things that you say are always going to be there are actually things that a player can work on and get much better at. However, accuracy is one of those things that is VERY difficult to improve. As Aikman said, "I think as a quarterback when you're inaccurate, ..., you usually do not overcome that."

No one can coach the flaws out of a player. They player can work on his flaws to decrease the frequency in which his flaws appear, but they will always be there.

You can't say hey Tebow, keep playing those flaws will go away. Hey Sanchez keep playing those flaws will go away. Now Dak is way better than the players I just mention. The good with Dak out weighs the bad and that's why we've won two divisional crowns with him as a starter.

It's like a piece of crap human being. That piece of crap human being can work on bettering himself. But his crappiness will always rear its ugly head every now and then. And that's why we have people in this world that just can't get their stuff together and QB's that just can't make it in the NFL.

DISCLAIMER.
I like Dak. And I'm not calling him a piece of crap or saying he shouldn't be in the NFL. I'm just saying he has minor flaws in his game and every now and then those minor flaws will cause minor problems. But his timing will get better ergo his stats will get better.

pansophy

Reaction score
And I've posted this before too, but that was all about the development of Gallup.

Prescott 2018
10-19 yd targets only, outside the numbers only
to Beasley/Cooper
completion rate 72% 194 yd 1 td 0 int 125.6
to all others
completion rate 47% 328 yd 3 td 3 int 62.5

Notice how Gallup's intermediate routes had improved after 12 games.

Games 13-18
CATCH RATE on 10-19 yard targets
Gallup 67% (10 of 15)
Cooper 63% (10 of 16)
Beasley 75% (3 of 4)

Gallup 2018
Weeks 1-12
21% (3 of 14)
Weeks 13-18
67% (10 of 15)
What do you think made the difference?? Dak starting to turn the corner as a passer, Gallup putting things together, or a little of both. I haven't your posting of these numbers before -- Really exciting to see these about Gallup.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
What do you think made the difference?? Dak starting to turn the corner as a passer, Gallup putting things together, or a little of both.
Probably both, but it was mostly about having another legit WR besides Cooper.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score

Doesn't get any REGULAR than that...

Just noticed the cameras stayed on Prescott warming up going into commercial. :facepalm:

I think I cried

Nothing unusual about that tackle.

Romo got away from so many pass rushes and tackles. It just catches up with you after a while.

Qcard

Reaction score
Nothing unusual about that tackle.

Romo got away from so many pass rushes and tackles. It just catches up with you after a while.
Exactly and Romo had made highlight plays on similar break downs against better Defensive players. Pretty sure Avril watches tape... Clean tackle bad back

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I can't remember any QB with 6 new WRs and a busted OL setting the world on fire with the deep game
The problem is just missing open guys. He's running downfield free. He's open. There's nothing complicated here. It's just accuracy. You don't need months of playing with a guy to hit a WR running free straight downfield.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Pretty fair and balanced assessment of Dak Prescott's strengths and areas where he needs to improve. Something for both fans and non-fans of Prescott.

I liked the analysis on the Colts. Hadn't seen someone do it before. Made sense.

This has been the formula since 2017. Play press man. Crowd the box on the run. Make the OC,QB, and WRs beat you over the top. And we just didn't do it.

I put most of that on Linehan.

2017, I'll put more on Terrance and Dez than Dak. They didn't have the speed to really threaten deep.

2018, Cooper's quality, and *speed*, made that kind of defense less viable. I'm hoping another guy with speed can pass up Gallup for #2 in the base in 2019.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is he a Rookie? Is he a third year QB? What's your point?

You wanna defend Roy, that's fine with me but you aren't going to hold my interest in a word smithing discussion.

How would you describe a group that consists of QBs in their 1st, 2nd or 3rd year?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The video analysis was basically a huge applause about how good Dak is. "all the hard things he has down pat"

Including laughable criticisms such as "Dak cant read defenses" ect….ect…..

And although he does reference "accuracy" many times in the video...……...what he is specifically referring to is "deep throw accuracy".

He is clearly NOT talking about accuracy in general. As the first part of his video points out how great he is at hitting the underneath throws and "taking what the defense gives him".

And he also points out to all the morons...……….that deep throw or "over the top" accuracy is EASILY fixed through repetition.

Which in the GARRETT offense, they don't do much of.

AND CLEARLY....…………..in TC they are focusing on it more and CLEARLY from reports, Dak is improving on that aspect.

So at the end of the day, Dak is an amazing young QB that has to work on his deep throws.

But of course trolls like you ONLY focus on THAT aspect of his game.

Which makes you nothing but a laughable troll. You define troll.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I liked the analysis on the Colts. Hadn't seen someone do it before. Made sense.

This has been the formula since 2017. Play press man. Crowd the box on the run. Make the OC,QB, and WRs beat you over the top. And we just didn't do it.

I put most of that on Linehan.

2017, I'll put more on Terrance and Dez than Dak. They didn't have the speed to really threaten deep.

2018, Cooper's quality, and *speed*, made that kind of defense less viable. I'm hoping another guy with speed can pass up Gallup for #2 in the base in 2019.

But did you gloss over the huge point in the begging that they "shut down Zeke and the run game"?

So does Zeke suck?

Maybe they need to analyze the Giants game when he threw for 400 yards. Might look a little stupid saying Dak cant throw the deep ball.

And the best part is the beginning when he said how dumb he feels at the fist analysis he EVER did of Dak where he said Dak sucked and he would never improve.

Who does that remind you of?

Here we are 3 years later and the SAME guy is laughing at how dumb he was and basically saying that all Dak needs to do is work on his deep throws and he will right up there with the best QB's in the game.

Funny part is that MOST trolls are still stuck in stupid from 3 years ago.