Fake Punt was worst call by a pro staff ever

blueblood70

Reaction score
No it’s not even close to being the worst call ever. The coaches had no choice but to pull out all the stops. Look at the big picture instead of a knee jerk ignorant reaction.
nah this time i cant agree with you

no pull out the stops was needed 12 mins to go in the with in 4 point game, you punt no matter what!! the defenses was making stops , punter doing well, offense good enough to stay in a 4point game..seriously pull out all the stops , thats the eagles game with nooch i get but this moment was the moment this staff lost me..im out!

4th and inches 3rd an 1 before that just plain bad calls..

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I agree it was a terrible call. But after watching the replay; it was nearly successful.

After Cedrick Wilson came back around the left side, punter Hunter Niswander whiffed a on a block on the Washington defender that tackled him. I know he's just a punter, but at 6'3, 240 pounds he could have at least made an effort to get in the way. If he had, Wilson not only would have gotten the first down; it's possible he might have scored.

But getting back to the OP; it was an absolutely horrible call given the score and the field position.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
the Kellen Moore special.

giphy.gif

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
nah this time i cant agree with you

no pull out the stops was needed 12 mins to go in the with in 4 point game, you punt no matter what!! the defenses was making stops , punter doing well, offense good enough to stay in a 4point game..seriously pull out all the stops , thats the eagles game with nooch i get but this moment was the moment this staff lost me..im out!

4th and inches 3rd an 1 before that just plain bad calls..
Yes they were bad calls. I’ve said that like 4 times already. But they had no chance in winning this game after losing their LT and RT in the 1st quarter. Coaches new it and their only chance was Hail Mary type plays.

Swanny

Reaction score
I actually didn't hate the call. It was poorly executed and the Commanders were obviously coached up on it. I give the Commanders props. There was a WR wide open for a 1st down but would have been a difficult throw. All decisions made by a coach are piss poor if it doesn't work. If it worked we would be talking about how that was an amazing play call because nobody was expecting it.

And I am not a McDouble fan. I did not want him. Was it a questionable call? Sure. But it takes balls to try to win with a piss poor team.

plymkr

Reaction score
This was a bad call even by Madden or Tecmo Bowl standards.
That's what I was thinking. If I was playing Madden and had nothing to lose if I lose the video game, I still don't go for it in that circumstance. But let's say I did go for it, like I hit my head and became mentally impaired, and went for it at my own 20 or 30. then I am not calling a long developing, reverse play to my 5th receiver. That's a play that is slightly better than just taking a knee or spiking it. Just horrible and embarrassing.

Swagger

Reaction score
seriously 4 point game, 12mions left 4th QTR,, defense playing well, inside our own 30, and fake punt that basically ruined the game, season, and you can see the team and defense give up. The air just went out of the building, out of the players and the route happened all because of one call....

who calls this play at that time? did fassell have cart blanche or did MM allow this?

i was all for giving the team , the coaching staff and players a mulligan for 2020,

now i want to see some firings, if MM doesn't fire fassell, then the entire staff is gone Monday morning..

im shell shocked, have version of football PTSD when this call happened i thought i drank and ate far too much, allice in wonderland type shock..it could not have been more of shock to see a professional staff do something in that situation that not one other coach would have done and then have the player run vs throw..!!!

to me its the worse call ive ever witnessed in my 50plus years on earth or 40years watching football..ughh:popcorn::huh::facepalm:

Agree.

The players had just about kept the patched up team in the game despite the coaching and play calling until that point. Then BOOM. Game over in the blink of an eye.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
I agree it was a terrible call. But after watching the replay; it was nearly successful.

After Cedrick Wilson came back around the left side, punter Hunter Niswander whiffed a on a block on the Washington defender that tackled him. I know he's just a punter, but at 6'3, 240 pounds he could have at least made an effort to get in the way. If he had, Wilson not only would have gotten the first down; it's possible he might have scored.

But getting back to the OP; it was an absolutely horrible call given the score and the field position.

i don’t agree man. Even with that missed block Wilson needed like 10 more yards and there was cowboy traffic and 3 other Washington players. Horrible decision there. Atleast throw it on a fake.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I think people have this reversed. It’s not that Fassel made the call and McCarthy signed off. It doesn’t work like regular offensive play calls work. Mike decided to go for the fake punt (terrible), Fassel picked this one (worse) then Mike signed off (mind blowing).

I really want to believe the conspiracy theory in the other thread, that he made the call purposefully to blow the game. Because for an NFL coach to make that decision is so beyond bad that it warrants immediate firing, and I don’t say that lightly.

Of course, this is the Jerry Jones who kept Garrett for nearly a decade so that’s not going to happen.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
This is now this franchise’s version of the infamous thanksgiving butt fumble. This is now our butt fumble, the single worse call in franchise history and meat head McCarthy doubled down on it by saying it was a “ good call”. What a complete idiot.

Daillest88

Reaction score
seriously 4 point game, 12mions left 4th QTR,, defense playing well, inside our own 30, and fake punt that basically ruined the game, season, and you can see the team and defense give up. The air just went out of the building, out of the players and the route happened all because of one call....

who calls this play at that time? did fassell have cart blanche or did MM allow this?

i was all for giving the team , the coaching staff and players a mulligan for 2020,

now i want to see some firings, if MM doesn't fire fassell, then the entire staff is gone Monday morning..

im shell shocked, have version of football PTSD when this call happened i thought i drank and ate far too much, allice in wonderland type shock..it could not have been more of shock to see a professional staff do something in that situation that not one other coach would have done and then have the player run vs throw..!!!

to me its the worse call ive ever witnessed in my 50plus years on earth or 40years watching football..ughh:popcorn::huh::facepalm:

yup that is how I felt

lockster

Reaction score
This is what's referred as disassociation syndrome. It's kind of like drinking Ur troubles away to full the pain, but without the alcohol and exterior outrage. They have broken Ur spirit!!! :)
My wife asked why I didn't seem more upset, as I usually don't speak much following a loss, or I'm ranting, or I'm pouting. That 4th quarter just left me void of any emotion. It was beyond comprehension, or maybe it's a safety valve somewhere in my brain.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
At this point, I'm just upset that McCarthy, Fassel and Zeke are wasting my oxygen by still breathing.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
WRONG. The percentages say you punt and play D down by 4 with that much time. That’s some bull you pull with 2 mins left.
You just don’t have the ability to see the entirety of what’s going on with the team.