Fake Slant-Draw

Dcowboy84

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or brought this up, but am i the only one getting a little annoyed with our fake slant-draw play?

don't get me wrong, i think it can be an effective play, however it seems like every once in a while we might want to try actually throwing the slant instead of it always being a fake and going with a draw.

am i missing the plays where we are actually throwing the slant route?

it just seems to me that the fake may work a little better if the defense believes you might actually throw the slant sometimes.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
We're not throwing many slants now but there are short step drops which makes the play effective. What I would like to see is PA off of this play where Romo would hesitate and then we go play action off of it. The rams used to do this very well with Martz. This would really put the defense in a bind.

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
final Td was play action draw to barber. they were using the slant draw to set the defense up for that play. worked......sort of.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
cwbyfan72;2312897 said:
final Td was play action draw to barber. they were using the slant draw to set the defense up for that play. worked......sort of.
Play action draw?

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
cwbyfan72;2312897 said:

Right but that's far different from what the op was referring to. They should also start play action from the fake slant draw from under center.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I actually brought it up in pre-season and noticed it the 1st time they ran it.

I like it. If your passing well than it gets Marion Barber right in your lap before you know it.

Nexx

Reaction score
im more annoyed at the play action on obvious passing downs. no buys it and it makes tony take his eyes off the field of play and slows down his drop back.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It's annoying, but it's very effective. We typically make 3 + yards on that play, I don't think I've seen a loss on that play yet. That and the reverse hand off where Romo pretends to give on one side and the runner immediately runs the opposite side.

fortdick

Reaction score
theogt;2312961 said:
Fake pass, then fake run, then pass. Brilliant!

Fake pass, then fake run, then fake the reverse, then fake a bomb, then get sacked.

Audiman

Reaction score
fortdick;2313272 said:
Fake pass, then fake run, then fake the reverse, then fake a bomb, then get sacked.

dude, we can't do that. we don't have Big Ben as our QB...:lmao2:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
The biggest detriment to this offense has been the phasing out of the 30 yard slant... :banghead:

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
they ran that play too muchh yesterday. gotta start throwing in some more new wrinkles, Garrett

visionary

Reaction score
trickblue;2313357 said:
The biggest detriment to this offense has been the phasing out of the 30 yard slant... :banghead:

and the interception/punt that we used to throw in the old QC days. :D

BruceWayne

Tennione72
Reaction score
I think that play is effective. The Bengals D took a step back everytime we ran it. Sets up the play action real nice

31smackdown

Reaction score
I'm sure the point is just to freeze that side for a second and then slip Felix through with his quickness. If you can get the slightest freeze or counter movement, then Felix has that much more of a head start to break it all the way to the other side or up the middle to the secondary.