Falcon and Julio closing in on an extension of $20M per yr

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I was surprised when they made the trade for Amari without a new deal. They should have offered him the same contract that they offered Watkins.

Bizwah

Reaction score
This is why I'll never understand why JJ and Co wait until the last minute to sign guys. I know their logic is that waiting puts pressure on both sides to get a deal done. But what it's done is raise the price on every single FA we have.

This whole offseason has been one big mistake after another by the FO

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Everyone assumes it's the FO dragging their feet or slow to get get a deal done, but it could also be the player/agent doing it to watch the market develop. Granted I have no evidence this is what Amari/ his agents are thinking, but seeing Watkins, Brown's reworked, OBJ's and possible reworking and then wanting to see Julio's and Thomas, Hill (but his new troubles affect this). Right now there is no urgency for Amari and they can afford to sit and watch and wait unless the Cowboys were to make a truly large exceptional offer.

Our FO could have gave them a strong number, around what OBJ is making and they could have opted to wait and watch the market with the knowledge it will continue to rise. It's fashionable to bash our FO and I'm not trying to defend them, but the players and their agents also have a hand in how/when these things play out. Amari may be quiet and mild mannered, but his agent is not and knows after what his client displayed after the trade, they could afford to wait.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I'll be glad when Dallas stops trying to wait for "proof" that an extension is worthwhile.

You gotta take risks sometimes. Even the safest extensions can backfire in a single play. The longer you sit gun shy, the more the cost goes up.

JayFord

Reaction score
I'll be glad when Dallas stops trying to wait for "proof" that an extension is worthwhile.

You gotta take risks sometimes. Even the safest extensions can backfire in a single play. The longer you sit gun shy, the more the cost goes up.

Ooooooohhhhh loookkkkyyy he run goood he run for 2000 yards and 50 tds we make him wait for contract we smart
*rubs hands*

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think he goes for around Julio. He may also wait to sign extension. He will be getting paid 16 million this upcoming season. HE may want to showcase his skills and cash in even bigger. He leads the league in td's and yards lets say whats the gripe with him getting 20 million per like Julio ?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not a deal until it's a deal. Until then, it's just something somebody's agent might be circulating.

Proof

Reaction score
This means very little. Coop is not in the same league as Jones, AB, OBJ, Green, etc
He is a tier lower, yes he has gotten a bit expensive, but I cannot blame Jerry and company for that. The organization decided not to address our WR position last off season so we paid a premium for it during the regular season. We traded away a 5 year fixed cost for someone hitting their option year. It was a known risk and it worked out in spades.
Process was very bad, but result was good. Judge it how you want. I just say it like it is.
Cooper should max get a contract similar to what Chicago paid to Allen Robinson. Full stop

He’s every bit as good as AJ Green

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think he goes for around Julio. He may also wait to sign extension. He will be getting paid 16 million this upcoming season. HE may want to showcase his skills and cash in even bigger. He leads the league in td's and yards lets say whats the gripe with him getting 20 million per like Julio ?

People change their tune more often than they change their drawers. Mid -season people were talking around Watkins kind money, $18 million for a WR sounded crazy when OBJ was made the highest paid, but now that Julio is going to make $20 million per, people want to make it sound easy to hand out a league setting contract? When we resign Cooper, people will be complaining for how much we signed him for, especially if he isn't putting up 1400+ yd seasons like Julio has done for 5 straight seasons.

This team hasn't been shy in handing out big contracts in the past or trying to get deals done early. Why does everyone assume the holdup is the FO and not Cooper and his people wanting to wait?

Bowdown27

Reaction score
People change their tune more often than they change their drawers. Mid -season people were talking around Watkins kind money, $18 million for a WR sounded crazy when OBJ was made the highest paid, but now that Julio is going to make $20 million per, people want to make it sound easy to hand out a league setting contract? When we resign Cooper, people will be complaining for how much we signed him for, especially if he isn't putting up 1400+ yd seasons like Julio has done for 5 straight seasons.

This team hasn't been shy in handing out big contracts in the past or trying to get deals done early. Why does everyone assume the holdup is the FO and not Cooper and his people wanting to wait?
Thank you thank you. Spot on

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Everyone assumes it's the FO dragging their feet or slow to get get a deal done, but it could also be the player/agent doing it to watch the market develop. Granted I have no evidence this is what Amari/ his agents are thinking, but seeing Watkins, Brown's reworked, OBJ's and possible reworking and then wanting to see Julio's and Thomas, Hill (but his new troubles affect this). Right now there is no urgency for Amari and they can afford to sit and watch and wait unless the Cowboys were to make a truly large exceptional offer.

Our FO could have gave them a strong number, around what OBJ is making and they could have opted to wait and watch the market with the knowledge it will continue to rise. It's fashionable to bash our FO and I'm not trying to defend them, but the players and their agents also have a hand in how/when these things play out. Amari may be quiet and mild mannered, but his agent is not and knows after what his client displayed after the trade, they could afford to wait.

Came to post this. It takes two parties to sign a contract.

dckid

Reaction score
He’s every bit as good as AJ Green

Your funny. Go to pro football reference and then watch highlights. Body of work cannot be compared.
If you asked me who I would rather have for the next 5 years I would say Cooper because he is younger, but AJ is honestly better.
Let's stop the homerism please.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
You know how painful that would be for Cheapskake Jones to write that check....lol