Favorite musicians?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I figure there is a wide variety of music tastes for Cowboys fans, so I was curious who are your favorite musicians? What artists do you listen to the most?

I'll start. I guess my favorite musician of all-time is the Man in Black.

B00004YKUX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really love to listen to a large number of Guitarist. Too many to name just one or a pure favorite...so many different genres of guitarist.

I also find there are many drummers and bassist that I find myself in awe of...once again to many to name just a few....I could go on for days with names of guitarist, bassists and drummers.

Duane

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I figure there is a wide variety of music tastes for Cowboys fans, so I was curious who are your favorite musicians? What artists do you listen to the most?

I'll start. I guess my favorite musician of all-time is the Man in Black.

B00004YKUX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'm a huge Black Crowes fan, duh, even though they are on hiatus. I've also been listening to Live Monsters by Big Head Todd and the Monsters a lot. As individual musicians/song writers I'll go with Elvis Costello, Willie Nelson and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

ArkCowboy

Reaction score
i realize that none of you will know either of them, but i am very into Richard Buckner and Jay Farrar. the are both progressive (alt) country types in their style but not in their substance! you would never hear this music being played by a country music fan!!

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WE could do a list of all of the big names like Hendrix, Page, Bonham, Piert (sp?), Geddy Lee and other big names.

But here are a few musicians that some of you may have heard of while others have not.

Vinnie Paul - Drummer for now defunct Pantera....really original IMO and does more then the normal drummers do.

Pete Sandoval - Drummer of Morbid Angel....not as good as Vinnie Paul...but very good for his genre.

Dave Lombardo - I always thought he had his own sound when he played with slayer back in the day.

Tommy Aldridge - Great drummer for many different bands.

Joe Satriani - If you are a guitarist, or follow guitar music...then you know who this is....IMO he may be one of the best overall players.

Trey Azagthoth - Morbid Angel- Such a good guitarist IMO that many will never hear of because of the Genre he plays.

Zakk Wylde - Many may just know him as the guitarist for ozzy...but he does his own band and even though both are metal related...he has also showed some serious skills in the blues and sourthern fried rock genres.

Elliot Fisk - Classical guitar player.

Chet Atkins and Roy Clark - I really never cared for country music ....but without a doubt both of these players are very talented IMO.

Robert Johnson - So many people have never heard of the man who really influenced so many people that you have heard of...guy was an incredible player and I just wish the recordings were better. The box set is amazing but even with remastering and try to weed out he bad recordings...it could only do so much due to the nature, age and condition of the original recordings.

Jeff Watters - canadian band Annihilator - I just always liked the way the guy plays.

Dave Mustaine and Chris Poland - On the Megadeth albums Skull beneath the skin and Peace sells but who's buying. The sound and just overall savage guitar playing on some of those two is just amazing IMO. Just so raw and full of fury.

Dave Grohl - Just a great overall musician...IMO he was the only one on Nirvana that had really great musicial talent while playing drums...then went on with the Foo Fighters and showed he could be a very good guitarist and singer. I do not know if he is responsible for the ideas behind the videos but I just think the guy is greatness.

Ok those will do for now...and once again those are some names that people may or may not have heard of...but still not as widely known as the established greats.

Gaede

Reaction score
The Band

p03228drpmw.jpg

Bob Marley

p15021di2c8.jpg

Sam Cooke

p11689ngxcg.jpg

Neil Young

p18198wykxf.jpg

Tupac Shakur

p56462lrbyp.jpg

Bobby Womack

p20847j7xvp.jpg

OV Wright

p01178mk1ex.jpg

Aesop Rock (underground rap artist)

e94884axizh.jpg

Those are the main ones. Most of them are well known, and for good reason.

keds

Reaction score
Bands/musicians that I have listened to over the years, that I like a lot, mostly alternative rock...

Fountains of Wayne... well crafted power pop with imaginitive, funny lyrics

The Church... from Australia...psychedelic, earthy modern rock with shimmering, layered, atmospheric guitar sounds

Love Tractor... 80s indie/art rock band... melodic instrumental guitar tunes, my favorite alt rock band out of Athens, GA

Squirrel Nut Zippers... 90s band... modern jazz, swing tunes with great lyrics

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I am surprised to see so many Bob Marley fans, it is good to see his music is alive and well.

Some other artist/artists I dig are Earth, Wind, and Fire, Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King, Marvin Gaye, Steele Pulse, Sade, Jackie Wilson, Al Green, Greggory Isaacs, Burning Spear, and of course George Clinton. :)

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adbutcher said:
I am surprised to see so many Bob Marley fans, it is good to see his music is alive and well.

Some other artist/artists I dig are Earth, Wind, and Fire, Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King, Marvin Gaye, Steele Pulse, Sade, Jackie Wilson, Al Green, Greggory Isaacs, Burning Spear, and of course George Clinton.

Marley will always live on...No adbutch No cry...everything is going to be alright now. :D

Hendrix is a given....my two fave guitarist have the same name but different spellings...
Jimi and Jimmy.

Marvin Gaye was pure magic...everyone one likes sexual healing, lets get it on ...but my fave is The ecology song (mercy me)...that song is just greatness IMO.

I like sade when I am in a mellow mood.

I really like many older blues singers....BB King, Robert Johnson, Buddy Guy, the "other" King, KoKo Taylor (sp?), Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker...so many more.

Oh and we are the same when it comes to Mr Clinton...the P Funkster, the mothership connection.

Make my funk the P-Funk...I want to get Funked Up :cool:

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Marley will always live on...No adbutch No cry...everything is going to be alright now. :D

Hendrix is a given....my two fave guitarist have the same name but different spellings...
Jimi and Jimmy.

Marvin Gaye was pure magic...everyone one likes sexual healing, lets get it on ...but my fave is The ecology song (mercy me)...that song is just greatness IMO.

I like sade when I am in a mellow mood.

I really like many older blues singers....BB King, Robert Johnson, Buddy Guy, the "other" King, KoKo Taylor (sp?), Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker...so many more.

Oh and we are the same when it comes to Mr Clinton...the P Funkster, the mothership connection.

Make my funk the P-Funk...I want to get Funked Up :cool:

I'm a big fan of a lot of those guys too. I love the older blues singers. One of my most cherished CD sets is my BB King boxed set. Bob Marley and Marvin Gaye are smooth!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I love the guitar. I can't play a lick, but I love it. To that end I like great guitarists.

My favorites, in no particular order, would be...

Andres Segovia
Chet Atkins
BB King
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Randy Rhodes
Jimi Hendrix
Eddie Van Halen
Carlos Santana
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Joe Satriani

I also have a deep and abiding respect for Neil Peart on drums.

I like all kinds of music. Classic rock would be my favorite except when I want to dance. I'd rather two step to country music with a girl held tight than any kind of dancing. I have a rule, when in my car if Pink Floyd comes on the radio, be quiet, listen to the music, and turn the volume up.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TruBlueCowboy said:
I'm a big fan of a lot of those guys too. I love the older blues singers. One of my most cherished CD sets is my BB King boxed set. Bob Marley and Marvin Gaye are smooth!

If you like the blues....you should look into getting the Alligator 20th and 25th anniversary CDs.

They have a good mix of blues artists.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I love the guitar. I can't play a lick, but I love it. To that end I like great guitarists.

My favorites, in no particular order, would be...

Andres Segovia
Chet Atkins
BB King
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Randy Rhodes
Jimi Hendrix
Eddie Van Halen
Carlos Santana
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Joe Satriani

I also have a deep and abiding respect for Neil Peart on drums.

I like all kinds of music. Classic rock would be my favorite except when I want to dance. I'd rather two step to country music with a girl held tight than any kind of dancing. I have a rule, when in my car if Pink Floyd comes on the radio, be quiet, listen to the music, and turn the volume up.

You were doing good until you brought up the country dancing...man you just hurt me bad :p

BTW....let's not forget one of our faves...Alice Cooper :cool:

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
You were doing good until you brought up the country dancing...man you just hurt me bad :p

BTW....let's not forget one of our faves...Alice Cooper :cool:
LOL, no offense but country is last, way last on my list of favorite music.

Also, I don't know how I left out Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, and Maze featuring Frankie Beverly.

Brain you hit the nail on the head when mentioning Muddy Waters and Johnny Lee Hooker, they are both on point.