Texas_Pete

Reaction score
...over Tank

Yeah, I said it :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The term "starter" is pretty irrelevant to the DL

But there's no shot he overtakes DLaw on standard nickel packages because he's a pure pass rusher and DLaw is maybe the best run defending edge in the NFL. In certain passrush packages, maybe Williams overtakes DLaw, but no way he'd become the "starter."

CCBoy

Reaction score
Before any injuries, the outside players on the defensive line are strong and deep, now.

DanA

Reaction score
I could see Sam Williams bumping his snap count up significantly and maybe starting ahead of D-Law at times but it’s fairly academic as to who is starter. Really the best thing for Micah, D-Law and the Cowboys would be to have someone that can reduce their workload and start ahead of them so we have a fresh rotation without a drop off in play.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Last season I saw a rock solid player with flashes of brilliance in limited action. Talent wise, he probably is a better player than Lawrence at this point in their respective careers. He's fast, explosive, strong as an ox, and brings an intensity that I don't see from anyone else along the line.

Can he hold up against the run as well as Lawrence? He displayed the ability to create chaos on run and pass downs, and certainly has the ability...but he has to prove that he can be consistently dominant against the run to win that position.

Ideally, by mid season I'd like to see Williams and Lawrence lined up at end and Micah at LB/Rover on run downs, and Lawrence moved inside with Williams and Micah coming off the edge on passing downs. Thankfully the line is deep enough that we will see multiple fronts with different players rotating in to match whatever opposing offenses are showing us, keeping everybody fresh and confusing the guys across from them.

Maybe he starts, maybe he doesn't...but either way he will see substantial playing time, and I think he's going to take the next step and develop into a dominant player. I'm really excited to see what he brings in year 2!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think he plays more snaps, but starting is more of a question of what you consider the starting lineup. If it's the 3-4 or 5-2 run defense, then no, I don't see him starting because he's more of a nickel defender. Armstrong and Lawrence are the better run defenders, although Williams showed ability to do that well at times. Williams' best bet is probably pushing Lawrence for some pass rushing snaps and then winning snaps at an outside spot over Fowler when we kick Lawrence inside. Actually, he could just take hold of any of those spots in that NASCAR package where we use four ends in long-yardage situations since he can play on the interior some in those sets.

It would be kind of a waste IMO to have Williams out there on first down or in short-yardage situations because his main role is pass rush. We have run-defending ends who are just as good or even better than he is, so no use using him up on those downs. But hopefully, he'll be out there regularly in passing situations.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
This is one of the few reasons Dallas fans have to be excited to see. Need Sam to take a jump forward and one or more of these young lbers. Cox, Clark or 0versh0

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he'll play a lot, but in scheme packages. This can be a very scary defense

Kingofholland

Reaction score
If Sam Williams is pushing for a starting job that's a good problem to have. Keep in mind DeMarcus Lawrence isn't necessarily the player that gets benched. Parsons is a hybrid LB/DE so could start at either spot. When starting at LB it would be Armstrong, Williams, or Fowler occupying the RDE spot. Love the flexibility the Cowboys have.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I would think Williams would take Armstrong’s spot at WDE before taking over for DLaw at SDE…listening to the last few interviews from Quinn and McCarthy makes it sound like they plan to move Micah around A LOT so teams can’t eliminate him with their game plans if he just plays RDE.