Felix brings a new dimension to the offense

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think Felix may have something special in him. I saw his runs in college and thought there is no way he can run that way in the pros. Then he runs 4.47 at the Combine and I thought he won't be able to turn the corner in the pros.

Yet here we are five weeks into the season and the only person stopping Felix Jones is Garrett.

With the amount of attention defenses are paying to TO and Witten, Jones is just gouging the defense with his speed and ability to get into the open.

I really think we are doing defenses in the league a big favour by not using Felix more. Hopefully he is just being phased in and now will be used more and more as the season goes on.

One of the first points of focus of any gameplan here on out should be getting Felix 10-15 touches. If that means less Barber, then so be it. Felix just brings something to the table that Barber can't.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya think? That guy is electric with the ball in his hands. I hate the way Phil Simms tried to downplay Felix's TD run, saying the defense blew it. Felix got to the outside with good blocking and he is so fast I knew he was off to the races.

mmohican29

Reaction score
4.47 speed is plenty fast enough to turn the corner in the pros. Throw in excellent vision and instincts and Felix is a BIG TIME threat every time he touches the football.

Eskimo

Reaction score
mmohican29;2310441 said:
4.47 speed is plenty fast enough to turn the corner in the pros. Throw in excellent vision and instincts and Felix is a BIG TIME threat every time he touches the football.

Plenty of people with that speed can't turn the corner. Heck, Julius couldn't turn the corner often and he ran a 4.38. It takes more than just speed - he seems to be able to setup the defenders with his running style so that he ends up getting the corner on them.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
IMO we would have won the skins game if our "brilliant" or not coaching staff would have used him. he just affects what the D is doing on defense. everyone has to account for him or he is gone!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I hate how they give the ball to Felix, he does a nice scamper, and then they go directly back to Barber, usually w/ a toss that goes nowhere

they did give Felix 3 straight appearances towards the end, so I'll give them credit there for that

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
"with the quickness"

The guy is special.... a rookie on a mission as well.... happy and appreciating that he is a Cowboy!

Thomas82

Reaction score
Eskimo;2310322 said:
I think Felix may have something special in him. I saw his runs in college and thought there is no way he can run that way in the pros. Then he runs 4.47 at the Combine and I thought he won't be able to turn the corner in the pros.

Yet here we are five weeks into the season and the only person stopping Felix Jones is Garrett.

With the amount of attention defenses are paying to TO and Witten, Jones is just gouging the defense with his speed and ability to get into the open.

I really think we are doing defenses in the league a big favour by not using Felix more. Hopefully he is just being phased in and now will be used more and more as the season goes on.

One of the first points of focus of any gameplan here on out should be getting Felix 10-15 touches. If that means less Barber, then so be it. Felix just brings something to the table that Barber can't.

I agree with everything in this post. It's a shame he couldn't get that 10th carry to give him his first 100-yard game.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2310484 said:
I hate how they give the ball to Felix, he does a nice scamper, and then they go directly back to Barber, usually w/ a toss that goes nowhere

they did give Felix 3 straight appearances towards the end, so I'll give them credit there for that

That burns me up too.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
yea those tosses to Barber make no sense to me... thats not his strenght!

Eskimo

Reaction score
Da Hammer;2310518 said:

Yeah, but Felix looks brilliant running the same play.

I think they run the tosses because defenses are stacking the line against him. I do think the toss play with Barber has to be a bit quicker in its development.

cowboyz

Reaction score
Eskimo;2310462 said:
Plenty of people with that speed can't turn the corner. Heck, Julius couldn't turn the corner often and he ran a 4.38. It takes more than just speed - he seems to be able to setup the defenders with his running style so that he ends up getting the corner on them.
exactly. that's why bush isn't that good of a runner despite his elite speed.

felix just knows how to run the ball and setup his blockers.

i think they're running the tosses because they don't trust the oline to open up the holes inside. so they're just sucking everyone in, then letting the running backs setup guys.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Da Hammer;2310518 said:

Honestly, we just need to give Felix the ball more.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Da Hammer;2310471 said:
IMO we would have won the skins game if our "brilliant" or not coaching staff would have used him. he just affects what the D is doing on defense. everyone has to account for him or he is gone!

The only thing I can think of is that maybe his calf injury was still bothering him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2310603 said:
I actully think his game speed is better than 4.47...

Some people who watched the Combine say he pulled up a little from what I recall -maybe he tweaked something.

He might be a tick faster but he doesn't have the straight-away speed of guys like Bush and McFadden. He just seems to know how to setup defenders.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
FJ just may get another ROW. He is an awesome player and glad he is on our team.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That great vision, feel, instinct, whatever you want to call it -- not to mention the ability to change direction at full speed -- more than makes up for a step in speed.

I'm with you, Eskimo. I went to Arkansas my freshman year, so I halfway watch them when they're on TV. And I watched them a lot the last couple of years when McFadden was tearing it up. So I've seen Felix, but I really thought he benefitted a lot from teams focusing on McFadden, and I wasn't sure he could run outside like he did in college. But sure enough, he can. That one run today where he easily juked the defender and ran down the left sideline looked just like the long Green Bay run, though he didn't go all the way this time.

He just has that easy speed and smoothness that fools defenders into taking bad angles. It's a beautiful thing.

I'm just glad he's signed relatively cheaply for several years, because I have a feeling our newly minted RB will be coming off the bench at some point.