Film Session: Why Dak changes Linehan’s play

ClintDagger

Reaction score
it is staggering that the eagles would play single high press in many of those clips and have no fear of our WRs going deep with a bunch of beat up cbs. that says something about linehan and how predictable our routes are imo.
Teams have yet to give Cooper any special attention really. But you know that’s coming. I hope when that happens we have a plan B, because in ‘16 when teams decided to take Beasley away we had no answers and the offense / Dak really started to sputter.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Had Cooper not said anything no one would have known and this wouldn’t be a story. Dak yells kill kill on 60% of plays. Changes happen all the time.

What I really don’t like is now that It’s known the thumbs up means go route, defenses will look for any communication between Dak and Cooper at the line and adjust.

Guess Philly forgot what the signal meant. :muttley:

Zman5

Reaction score
And the worst part is that these criticisms of clear tendencies is nothing new whatsoever. Linehan has been getting hammered for running far too many hitches and comebacks for years now. Great to see that absolutely nothing has changed.

One can only dream of what a good offensive coordinator might get out of this team.

It's been like this even before Linehan. I've posted videos of the same route combo being ran in 2012. This is JG's offense we run. Callahan tried to change it but JG wouldn't allow it and replaced him with Linehan.

We need a new OC that is allowed to run his offense. Jerry needs to make it happen.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
557 yards says differently.

Linehan has been really good between the 20s the last 5 weeks. It’s the red zone where it needs to get better.

Still would rather have that problem than the one we did the first 8 weeks of not even being able to get to the red zone consistently.

Our offense has talent.. Not good schemes.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
the single high part has to do with zeke, but i'm talking mostly about the cb play sitting short with no help over the top. the down and distance matter also. to me this says more about the route tree than zeke. why would the corners sitting on short routes have anything to do with zeke?

Philly has had the tendency to sit on short route expecting their defensive front to get quick pressure. By bringing up the other safety they have the extra man to defend the run. Dallas did have 3 or 4 deep balls in that game

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
the single high part has to do with zeke, but i'm talking mostly about the cb play sitting short with no help over the top. the down and distance matter also. to me this says more about the route tree than zeke. why would the corners sitting on short routes have anything to do with zeke?
You said they were playing single-high press. Press doesn't mean playing the short routes. Single high is almost always because of the RB.

Zman5

Reaction score
For the people who's been complaining Dak doesn't anticipate throws, you can see is this video Dak has been doing much better. In fact, he's been much better past few weeks.

Downside of throwing before the receiver makes his break is there is more risk of an INT if the DB sits on the route. The TD to win the game is a perfect example. This is why it's very important to be less predictable in our route combos.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Really a non-story. I think this happens every sunday pretty much every team. A "good" QB and receiver have to communicate if a defense is starting to sit on a route the receiver needs to tell the QB this so the next time that play is called you have signal to change the route.

conner01

Reaction score
fear of the run game sure...single high makes sense to put another guy in the box. not putting sorry cbs in press coverage though.

jim schwartz is a tool but he is a good DC.

it isn't a gamble when you have been predictable for years. the def guessed right many times that it was a hook or slant. only dak changing it at the line opened up the big td.

linehan is an issue imo.

it is both. a good oc can make the talent. the talent here in amari makes linehan. that's pretty obvious.
It takes talent but I also think a creative OC can get more out of less
I think linehan has been more creative as of late but I think if I’m gonna give Dak 20 million plus I bring in a young, creative OC to get even more out of what we have
Red zone runs me crazy but if you look at each play many times you have a good call but it doesn’t get executed because someone misses a block or the open guy is missed
That’s what we have to get fixed
And if we can continue our rate of 3rd down conversion with better results in the red zone we really can beat anyone

droopdog7

Reaction score
Exhibit 1 in the case for Linehan to be fired and a new OC with a new system be brought in. Garrett can remain the HC but his offense has to go. This also shows that the OC calling the plays has no faith in his QB when all he calls is short come backs and curls.
EVERY cooodinator has plays altered on the field. That’s what the players are supposed to do.

HanD

Reaction score
It takes talent but I also think a creative OC can get more out of less
I think linehan has been more creative as of late but I think if I’m gonna give Dak 20 million plus I bring in a young, creative OC to get even more out of what we have
Red zone runs me crazy but if you look at each play many times you have a good call but it doesn’t get executed because someone misses a block or the open guy is missed
That’s what we have to get fixed
And if we can continue our rate of 3rd down conversion with better results in the red zone we really can beat anyone
couldn't agree more with everything you wrote here.

HanD

Reaction score
You said they were playing single-high press. Press doesn't mean playing the short routes. Single high is almost always because of the RB.

agreed about single high. but pressing and sitting on routes tells me they know that dallas runs limited routes to the chains.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
agreed about single high. but pressing and sitting on routes tells me they know that dallas runs limited routes to the chains.
Sure, but the corner wasn't really sitting on a route. It's not like he got beat on a double move. Pressing doesn't mean sitting on a short route.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
For the people who's been complaining Dak doesn't anticipate throws, you can see is this video Dak has been doing much better. In fact, he's been much better past few weeks.

Downside of throwing before the receiver makes his break is there is more risk of an INT if the DB sits on the route. The TD to win the game is a perfect example. This is why it's very important to be less predictable in our route combos.

I think a lot of it has to do with trust. Even though they have been together a short time it seems there is a trust that Dak knows Cooper will be exactly where he needs to be

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Need an OC some can say that it's because Linehan doesn't have faith in Dak, yet Romo had to constantly change plays at the line too. Who is calling plays, can make a big difference in a young QBs production. We see it with Reid/Mahomes. Saw it last season with Wince and the Eagles QB coach, who left this season, contributing to Wince declining this season.

HanD

Reaction score
Sure, but the corner wasn't really sitting on a route. It's not like he got beat on a double move. Pressing doesn't mean sitting on a short route.

press technique and sitting on or how you play the routes are different things. that's what we agree on. i don't think i ever said they were the same thing or at least didn't try to imply it. watching the clip, to me and not to you, the corners play the underneath with single high. they don't have any fear of getting beat deep or routes going beyond 12 yards because normally imo, once a wr gets past or even with the cb and they don't have help, the cbs are in a full sprint to make sure the wr doesn't beat you deep. that never happens in the clip. the cb is still side shuffling 10 yards down the field with amari almost past him.

i guess we are just seeing different things which is fine.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
As well as Cooper sold those comeback routes, there were a couple times when the corner was not fooled based on our frequency of running that route.

What’s worse is that there were several plays in which all of our receivers ran that same route. A decent defense in zone picks that play off for 6.
Yes I was watching all the other routes (just not Coops) and they were very pedestrian. Didn't notice rubs or crossing patterns. I did like how Dak was getting rid of the ball so his timing was better. .

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Same OC
Different receiver
We went into the year thinking we could win with inferior WR and we couldn’t
Could we have with a better offensive scheme?
Does talent make the OC or the OC make the talent
Exactly. Linehan was OC for some good Vikings teams in the Randy Moss era and Stafford to Calvin Johnson was the most feared combo when he was there.

Most coaches are really good if they have good talent to work with. When they don’t then the coaches don’t look as good.