Video: Film study Tyler Smith

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The reviewer made a mistake in his review.

On the corner blitz where he said Smith was supposed to recognize and pick him up, that is actually the quarterback's call, not Smith's. The OT's job is to block the defensive linemen and when additional players like safeties and cornerbacks show blitz, the quarterback is supposed to assign them to the OTs **if** he believes if the blitz it will interrupt the play. If the quarterback does not call for an OT to watch or block a potential blitzing player, the OTs assume the running back will handle it or the play and/or quarterback will move away from the blitz.

Of course if the quarterback called for him to block the blitzing cornerback and he did not, then it was his mistake. However, he made no attempt to block him even after the play started so I doubt that was the case.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The issue isn’t as much Smith the player. It’s Smith at 24. If he was their guy they could have traded down and grabbed him in the second round. Probably 15 picks later. They could have picked up another top 100 pick with that trade. Time and again these idiots fumble the value of players.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
As has been already posted Im recalling Fred Beard selection and the board melt down.
Is the selection a reach I think so. Will Tyler replace CWilliams adequately his rookie season,yes.
Will he improve thats to be seen but Im optimistic

He will certainly replace CWill’s penalties… but he is raw and his technique is not at the point where he is a plug and play starter. Not by a longshot.

lostar2009

Reaction score
As has been already posted Im recalling Fred Beard selection and the board melt down.
Is the selection a reach I think so. Will Tyler replace CWilliams adequately his rookie season,yes.
Will he improve thats to be seen but Im optimistic

I was okay with Fred pick up at 31st. Fred was also a more polish player. But to pick up such a raw talent at 24 is what got me thinking whats going on here? I want legit starters in the first round.

CWR

Reaction score
The reviewer made a mistake in his review.

On the corner blitz where he said Smith was supposed to recognize and pick him up, that is actually the quarterback's call, not Smith's. The OT's job is to block the defensive linemen and when additional players like safeties and cornerbacks show blitz, the quarterback is supposed to assign them to the OTs **if** he believes if they blitz it will interrupt the play. If the quarterback does not call for an OT to watch or block a potential blitzing player, the OTs assume the running back will handle it or the play and/or quarterback will move away from the blitz.

Of course if the quarterback called for him to block the blitzing cornerback and he did not, then it was his mistake. However, he made no attempt to block him even after the play started so I doubt that was the case.

That's the type of intricacy most posters don't pick up on, and why we so often jump to conclusions without a proper foundation of knowledge. Nice post.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The issue isn’t as much Smith the player. It’s Smith at 24. If he was their guy they could have traded down and grabbed him in the second round. Probably 15 picks later. They could have picked up another top 100 pick with that trade. Time and again these idiots fumble the value of players.
Titans wanted to trade up for him. The nfl saw the player totally different than media/fans.

Ken

Reaction score
Inaccurate.

The Titans called them to trade up and, after Dallas said no and picked him, texted Stephen that it is a good thing you didn't trade with us, he was our guy.

I know all the usual suspects will say he is lying but i don't care.

Ken

Reaction score
Titans wanted to trade up for him. The nfl saw the player totally different than media/fans.
This is why i take every evaluation by media and fans with a grain of salt. Some people evaluate players and never played the game. I find it hillarious.

I don't usually watch much tape of these guys until they are taken so i was initially upset with the pick bc of the penalties.

Watching his tape, I don't know how anyone could be upset. The kid has something...

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Inaccurate.

The Titans called them to trade up and, after Dallas said no and picked him, texted Stephen that it is a good thing you didn't trade with us, he was our guy.

I know all the usual suspects will say he is lying but i don't care.
Were you in the room?