Final PFF Grades & Rankings A Season To Forget

aria

Reaction score
Agree 100%...that's the real issue with this team. Fix the interior of the defensive line and you will say everyone play better. From the edge rushers to the linebackers to the secondary......

I never said the salary cap doesn't exist I'm just saying its not the worry that Stephen leads you to believe. He let Byron walk because he wasn't worth the money he got.

Yes. They chose Jaylon and Zeke over Byron. 100% they did. And man you must've not watched Byron get torched this year...he's the #2 on the Dolphins...he's now the guy teams "attack". Howard is the playmaker back there.

BTW.......Diggs had 51 tackles, 3 INT's and allowed 45 receptions on 76 targets.......
Byron had 34 tackles 2 interceptions and allowed 40 receptions on 61 targets.....

One of these guys was a rookie btw.

And yes they could've easily re-signed Dak and Byron Jones. That 32 million cap hit wouldn't have been a 32 million cap hit if they had re-signed Dak it would've been less than that.

Interesting you left out the PFF grade
Byron Jones 63.1
Trevon Diggs 62.7

Not a huge difference but I would much rather have Diggs and Byron than zeke and Jaylon, especially considering their respective positions and salaries.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Either the salary cap prevented them from keeping Byron Jones or they thought Byron Jones was worse than Awuzie and Anthony Brown. PFF has Byron Jones ranked better than every corner on our team.
BJ31 ranked 55th.
Dallas got 58th rated CB for a 2nd round rookie pick which was the guy who replaced BJ31 on the roster.
BJ31 cap hit 17.6M
Diggs cap hit 1.09M
Chido likely gets replaced this year and AB gets shifted back inside where ranked much higher previously.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Either the salary cap prevented them from keeping Byron Jones or they thought Byron Jones was worse than Awuzie and Anthony Brown. PFF has Byron Jones ranked better than every corner on our team.
Yeah that's a silly argument to make but let's go for it......you want to use PFF? So would you rather spend a 2nd round pick on Diggs and get a 62 PFF rating or get Byron Jones 82.5 Million for his 63 PFF rating? For me to pay Byron 82 million I need a playmaker...and in the pff argument....I need someone who's at least a 80+.....not someone that's just as good as the guys I have for a fraction of the price. Its the Zeke argument you guys use. Would you pay Zeke 100 million or draft CEH?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Interesting you left out the PFF grade
Byron Jones 63.1
Trevon Diggs 62.7

Not a huge difference but I would much rather have Diggs and Byron than zeke and Jaylon, especially considering their respective positions and salaries.
I want whoever makes more plays on the football and based on stats Diggs seems to be able to make more plays on the ball than Byron Jones ever could.

You would be complaining about Byron Jones contract if they signed him to 82 million. Byron Jones is underachieving just like Zeke and Jaylon I don't know how you can't see that.

Mind you they didn't "chose" those guys over Byron. If you remember they also re-signed La'el Collins, gave Dak the tag at 32 million, re-signed Amari Cooper.......

So they chose Dak, Amari Cooper, La'El Collins, Zeke and Jaylon over Byron Jones....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Think some of these comments were addressed to others as I don't disagree with most of this.
BJ31 struggled with health this year and wasn't even close to the top CB on his own team.
Passing on him looks like the right move even if it sucked this year.

I don't think they "chose" Zeke and Jaylon over Byron. If Byron would have taken Jaylon's deal he would be here long term but top CB on the market was worth 20M a year.
If anything you can say they chose Amari over BJ31 as they had mirrored costs. And while they control how often they target Amari they can't control team's just avoiding Byron.
Zeke's deal was forced on them a year or TWO earlier than they wanted and they were not ready to be without him in a year they "thought" they had SB aspirations.

I was debating another poster on Byron. I'm on the record saying letting Byron go was the right move. His argument is that the Cowboys didn't let Byron go they couldn't' afford him. I disagree. I think anyone from a mile away could see that Robert Quinn and. Byron Jones were not worth what they got paid.

And I agree with your point on Amari. His deal is closer to what Byron got.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Agree 100%...that's the real issue with this team. Fix the interior of the defensive line and you will say everyone play better. From the edge rushers to the linebackers to the secondary......

I never said the salary cap doesn't exist I'm just saying its not the worry that Stephen leads you to believe. He let Byron walk because he wasn't worth the money he got.

Yes. They chose Jaylon and Zeke over Byron. 100% they did. And man you must've not watched Byron get torched this year...he's the #2 on the Dolphins...he's now the guy teams "attack". Howard is the playmaker back there.

BTW.......Diggs had 51 tackles, 3 INT's and allowed 45 receptions on 76 targets.......
Byron had 34 tackles 2 interceptions and allowed 40 receptions on 61 targets.....

One of these guys was a rookie btw.

And yes they could've easily re-signed Dak and Byron Jones. That 32 million cap hit wouldn't have been a 32 million cap hit if they had re-signed Dak it would've been less than that.
@aria @QuincyCarterEra
Let me put this byron crap to bed tho. Byron is not good not worth anything over $10m.
Byron's PFF coverage grade was 61.0 compared to Trevon's coverage grade of 63.9. Now the analytics.

Byron
89 targets
56 receptions 62.9% catch rate
4 pbu 1 int (tipped ball better play by d lineman)
4 tds 15.7 yards per reception 9.9 yards per target
105.9 Passer rating allowed
Cap hit $17m

Trevon Diggs
81 Targets
48 Receptions 59.3% Catch Rate
12 Pbu's 2 ints
6 tds 15.1 yards per reception 9.0 yards per target
103.3 passer rating allowed
Rookie Season

Byron will only get worse Diggs can get better.
Jerry is dumb but made the right move here.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Yeah that's a silly argument to make but let's go for it......you want to use PFF? So would you rather spend a 2nd round pick on Diggs and get a 62 PFF rating or get Byron Jones 82.5 Million for his 63 PFF rating? For me to pay Byron 82 million I need a playmaker...and in the pff argument....I need someone who's at least a 80+.....not someone that's just as good as the guys I have for a fraction of the price. Its the Zeke argument you guys use. Would you pay Zeke 100 million or draft CEH?

Or you could have had both. You need three corners. Diggs is in the same ballpark as Byron Jones, which is good because I think Diggs had a good season. But the defense would have been better if we had both. People are making two different arguments here. I'm arguing the salary cap does matter because it cost us Byron Jones who is arguably better than every corner on our team. Whether he played better than Diggs or not doesn't really matter because he played better than Awuzie, Brown, and Lewis. Certainly better than Worley lol. So with that framing I am comparing Byron Jones to the worst corners on the team, not the best. If the salary cap doesn't really mean anything, then you could pay whatever you want even if it is only a marginal upgrade. Once it is acknowledged that the salary cap is important and tradeoffs have to be made, then there can be a discussion if Byron Jones was worth what he got paid.

Last edited:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
@aria @QuincyCarterEra
Let me put this byron crap to bed tho. Byron is not good not worth anything over $10m.
Byron's PFF coverage grade was 61.0 compared to Trevon's coverage grade of 63.9. Now the analytics.

Byron
89 targets
Cap hit $17m

Trevon Diggs
81 Targets
12 Pbu's 2 ints
Rookie Season

Now do the last two years in which he wasn't injured going to a new scheme in a COVID shortened offseason.

Using one half years data, over the whole sets seems..... unwise.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
@aria @QuincyCarterEra

Byron
89 targets
Cap hit $17m

Trevon Diggs
81 Targets
12 Pbu's 2 ints
Rookie Season

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
@aria @QuincyCarterEra

Byron
89 targets
Cap hit $17m

Trevon Diggs
81 Targets
12 Pbu's 2 ints
Rookie Season

Nevermind ill do it for you lol

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
@aria @QuincyCarterEra

Byron
89 targets
Cap hit $17m

Trevon Diggs
81 Targets
12 Pbu's 2 ints
Rookie Season

Oh **** @aria he was also dishonest and forgot to mention that these stats were from

14 full games for Byron
11 full games for Diggs

That's some shady business

And the ball wasn't tipped by a DL on Byron's INT, he tipped it to himself. Extra shady bias BS going on right now.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Oh **** @aria he was also dishonest and forgot to mention that these stats were from

14 full games for Byron
11 full games for Diggs

That's some shady business

And the ball wasn't tipped by a DL on Byron's INT, he tipped it to himself. Extra shady bias BS going on right now.
my bad he had one the last game of the year was the best catch of his career. he usually can't catch him when it hits him in the chest. Didn't they get blown out that game?
It doesn't matter how many games they played that's why I gave %'s and per catch and per target stats.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Now do the last two years in which he wasn't injured going to a new scheme in a COVID shortened offseason.

Using one half years data, over the whole sets seems..... unwise.
Stop making excuses for a $17m player. I don't care about none of that other emotional information. $17m get the job done

aria

Reaction score
I want whoever makes more plays on the football and based on stats Diggs seems to be able to make more plays on the ball than Byron Jones ever could.

You would be complaining about Byron Jones contract if they signed him to 82 million. Byron Jones is underachieving just like Zeke and Jaylon I don't know how you can't see that.

Mind you they didn't "chose" those guys over Byron. If you remember they also re-signed La'el Collins, gave Dak the tag at 32 million, re-signed Amari Cooper.......

So they chose Dak, Amari Cooper, La'El Collins, Zeke and Jaylon over Byron Jones....
What do you mean “mind you they didn’t chose those guys over Byron”?!

Here’s your exact quote to my response that they did choose Jaylon and zeke over Byron.
“Yes. They chose Jaylon and Zeke over Byron. 100% they did.”

Are you off your meds again?

I may have complained about Byron but I would take an underperforming overpaid CB over an underperforming RB who sat out with two years left on his contract until he was the highest ever paid for his position, which he was. We could have used an underperforming Byron much more than an underperforming ewok. I’d even take an underperforming overpaid Jones over an underperforming overpaid Jaylon.

aria

Reaction score
@aria @QuincyCarterEra

Byron
89 targets
Cap hit $17m

Trevon Diggs
81 Targets
12 Pbu's 2 ints
Rookie Season

Gotta anything to say about zeke you can tag me with?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Salary cap hell or just being restricted by the salary cap, call it whatever you want. You said “I’ve never seen Jerry not be able to sign someone he wanted because of salary cap hell”.

If cap were no object, Jerry could have signed Dak for 40mil/year and been done with it.

The NFL is a competition to maximize championships subject to the constraints of the draft and the cap. That's the game.

People who think the cap doesn't matter are living in an infant's resentment fueled fantasyl and where it's only because Mean Old Jerry doesn't *want* them to have every All Pro in the league that they can't have them. Me wanna All Pros! Wah!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Zeke is average at best

Zeke only had 1 fumble in the last 9 games. Looks like he's got that under control.

That lifts Zeke above bad. But the numbers are incredibly mediocre. 4.0 YPC. Ok, let's blame the oline, though Pollard was higher. Ok, but Zeke has to take the short yardage carries.

Big disappointment to me was looking at YPT for both Pollard and Zeke. 4.8. That's just pitiful. Blame the QBs? Get the ball in relatively open space, and both make nothing of it.

And if the poor quality of others on the offense is an excuse for poor numbers, shouldn't the high quality at WR justify an expectation of good numbers?

The oline matters. I expect a bounceback year for the running game next year with Martin, Colline, and Smith back. Williams, McGovern, and Biadasz should all continue upward trends. But I don't expect Zeke to look like a top bach ever again.