Finally a Measuring Stick

Blitzen

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I do not anticipate a win Thursday evening. I do not think that Dak can make enough plays in the passing game to keep up with a balanced offense with an elite QB (as long as both QBs are healthy throughout the game).

The story of this game should be how the Cowboys stack up against a legitimate contender that is playing hot and is relatively healthy. Beat the Saints and I will start believing the team can actually play with a real contender. I will even take a game where Dallas stays close the entire game and loses a close one (within one score), but all facets perform well especially on the Cowboys offense (particularly the passing game). Not a game where Dallas has to rally from a huge deficit and the Saints play prevent defense for hollow stats.

Lose by more than one score in a game clearly dominated by the Saints and that tells me the squad has topped out by beating other pretenders this season. The goal should and always will be to make the playoffs and look like a real threat to any team (and occasionally win the SB). Anything less is for losers and enablers.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
The Cowboys entire season has been a measuring stick. When I first saw the schedule . I thought each game was a must win. I also thought that losing probowlers Dez and Witten would be a difficult task to overcome. Me being the die-hard thought that Zeke and Dak could generate enough offense to win. They couldn't, they just didn't measure up.

The bright-side of the first part of the season was the excellent defensive play. It actually looks elite on all levels which is a change from what fans have grown accustomed to over the last two decades. Then the Amari trade occurs. This was a great GM move and the dividends have been seen from his first game. Cooper sent shock-waves to defensive coordinators on Thanksgiving day. Teams will have to back the safeties out of the box for the first time this season. The Cowboys are measuring up now.

Dallas will show that they are contenders when they face the Saints. This is a preview of the NFC title game, where these two teams will square off again.

Drew Brees will find it difficult to throw from his back.

Dallas victory 38-24

Last edited:

RD21

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I do not anticipate a win Thursday evening. I do not think that Dak can make enough plays in the passing game to keep up with a balanced offense with an elite QB (as long as both QBs are healthy throughout the game).

The story of this game should be how the Cowboys stack up against a legitimate contender that is playing hot and is relatively healthy. Beat the Saints and I will start believing the team can actually play with a real contender. I will even take a game where Dallas stays close the entire game and loses a close one (within one score), but all facets perform well especially on the Cowboys offense (particularly the passing game). Not a game where Dallas has to rally from a huge deficit and the Saints play prevent defense for hollow stats.

Lose by more than one score in a game clearly dominated by the Saints and that tells me the squad has topped out by beating other pretenders this season. The goal should and always will be to make the playoffs and look like a real threat to any team (and occasionally win the SB). Anything less is for losers and enablers.
I feel the same way. I don't believe we are on the same level as the Saints. I would be shocked, if we beat them.

Having said that, if we do..... I'm driving the playoff bus :cool:

Rayman70

Reaction score

Oh your right. We have no business winning this one,period. What I wanna see is how we play in general. Do we stay with them for a bit at least and make it interesting or do we fold by Half? I see the D keeping it reasonably close through 3 quarters,then the wheels fall off late. We lose by 21 , 41-20. Valiant effort by the team...but not enough. We will get worn down too much on D by the 4th quarter. That's how I see it. Kamara and Ingram will eat us alive.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I thought the measuring stick was the Jacksonville game, or the Philly game and Atlanta game on the road.

Ihow many measuring sticks we need.
All of them are at this point...but this one is going to be an uphill battle. This game came at a bad time.The Saints as an organization,team...are better in every single way right now. We would need to play so far over our heads simply to stay close. I just don't think we have that in us.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Every week is a measuring stick game for both teams. Can the Saints pound a team they should beat en route to the #1 seed or do they let an inferior team hang around long enough to get a win?

camaro69926

Reaction score
There is only one offense on the field at one time. This game will be a good test for our defense. I really want to see how Byron Jones does against Brees or the linebackers can shut down the short passing game and the running backs. I am sure they are going to game plan for quick passes and take our bookends out of the game. Our offense just needs to score touchdowns in the redzone and convert 3rd downs and dont leave more than a minute on the clock for Brees to do a game winning drive.

Flamma

Reaction score
I feel the same way. I don't believe we are on the same level as the Saints. I would be shocked, if we beat them.

Having said that, if we do..... I'm driving the playoff bus :cool:

We're in agreement. But it is what it is and the Cowboys have to recognize this and show up. Let's not do what the Eagles did and chase opponents into the endzone. I have a funny feeling this Cowboys team is going to show up for this game. Nobody likes to be embarrassed. I'm not saying the Cowboys haven't been in the past, just not when everyone expects them to be. The Saints are men too, not gods, and I have a feeling they're going to find that out next week.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I thought the measuring stick was the Jacksonville game, or the Philly game and Atlanta game on the road.

Ihow many measuring sticks we need.

Early season games are difficult to gauge when determining how good the other squads are because the records and team trajectory are yet to be determined. By 10 games, real contenders are pretty easy to spot.

The real contenders typically win (even when they play poorly) over the course of the season. They don't typically get blown out ever.

During the head full head coaching seasons for Garrett:

Against 6 win or less teams: Record is 30-4 (three losses coming without Romo on the field and last year vs Denver).

Against the mid-tier: 22-22

Against the ten win and up teams: 10-24

Rayman70

Reaction score
Kamara and Thomas will torch us. We will hang with them for a while, but get worn down late. Its like fast break basketball...its what they do.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Kamara and Thomas will torch us. We will hang with them for a while, but get worn down late. Its like fast break basketball...its what they do.

Basically, we're a good NBA team and they're the Golden State Warriors when Steph Curry's on the floor.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I see a close loss. Defense keeps us in games, especially at home. It’ll be up to the offense to put up enough points to win. I think we’ll need to score 31 minimum to have a chance at a W.
I see a game that I predicted the last 3 games with my colleagues. It will either be a massacre by the other team or a close Cowboy victory because I actually trust Dak in the last drive if the opportunity presents itself.