Finally a Measuring Stick

Rayman70

Reaction score
The Commanders TE's killed the Cowboys defense.

I have no idea who the Saints TE's are but it doesn't matter. If the defense leaves their TE uncovered, Brees will kill us hitting them.
Ben Watson, Josh Hill , the janitor lol..it don't matter though. If we don't cover them, we will be exposed badly.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ben Watson, Josh Hill , the janitor lol..it don't matter though. If we don't cover them, we will be exposed badly.

Who is that back up QB they have? We always have a very hard time stopping a mobile QB. I am concerned about him and their trick type plays.
our D does not do well with those plays.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Eli was there too ya know. JUST SAYIN...AND COUGHLIN DID MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE. Look at the gents since he left...

True, but when a team is averaging like 30 pts a game and you hold them to 10, that's by far the biggest reason for the win...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Can't cover everybody all the time, if you put on a blitz you will be short of personnel to cover possible receivers.

D-line needs to get their hands up, Brees is short, gotta make it hard for him to see the receivers...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Brees is no Vick but he can run a bit, much afraid we'll see Dallas cover everybody and Brees runs for 50 yards and a td...

Blitzen

Reaction score
This was such a good post all the way up until you got to that last sentence.

"Anything less is for losers and enablers?"

Care to expound on that statement? Are you saying that fans who enjoy the football experience for what it is (just a game) are enablers because they don't immediately jump on the blogs and complain to anyone who will listen about things beyond their control? Are you calling these same fans "losers?"

But as I said before, it started out as a reasonable post in the vein that any logical fan would not go into this contest expecting a win. Point blank...the Saints have the better quarterback. And if you are wanting to know as a general rule who has the advantage on any given Sunday, comparing QB's is a great place to start.

Brees > Dak and at this point in Dak's career, they are not even close (and there's a good chance they never will be). Fortunately, QB play doesn't have the final say in games (it's just the loudest voice); if they did have the final say, Rodgers, Brady and Brees would own a monopoly on championships.

And that's pretty much where your point should have ended...but since you kept going, you sound like an entitled fan, which is not a good look...particularly for Cowboys fans.

If you are okay with setting expectations with less than the standards I said, then you are saying the team is in a building year (possibly continuously since the results have been going for 20+ years ) or that you are okay with perennial mediocrity.

The team has a 3rd year QB who should be showing his skillset includes passing down the field routinely (at least 1-2 times per game) past 10 yards to a receiver that is running down field (not a comeback, stop, in or out route) in stride.

I have no issue with someone taking simple pleasure with a win in a regular season game. I have issues with fans that do not demand higher standards from the product and do what they can to enact change. And yes, consumers do control the product. In every industry, everywhere, the end.

Entitled is rich buddy. Anyone who has followed the team the past 23 years has earned the right to expect more. That is not entitled-it is realistic expectation.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Just think if Dak made those throws. This place would explode with Dak luck hate. Oh, wait, it already has. Never mind. :muttley:

I would explode with happiness watching Dak leading a last minute winning TD drive in the super bowl. It happened already? I slept through that?

jday

Reaction score
If you are okay with setting expectations with less than the standards I said, then you are saying the team is in a building year (possibly continuously since the results have been going for 20+ years ) or that you are okay with perennial mediocrity.

The team has a 3rd year QB who should be showing his skillset includes passing down the field routinely (at least 1-2 times per game) past 10 yards to a receiver that is running down field (not a comeback, stop, in or out route) in stride.

I have no issue with someone taking simple pleasure with a win in a regular season game. I have issues with fans that do not demand higher standards from the product and do what they can to enact change. And yes, consumers do control the product. In every industry, everywhere, the end.

Entitled is rich buddy. Anyone who has followed the team the past 23 years has earned the right to expect more. That is not entitled-it is realistic expectation.
I'm not sure there exist such a thing as "more wrong" than what you wrote above. The Dallas Cowboys owe us nothing. Jerry Jones owes us nothing. You say, "I bought tickets, I bought merchandise, I sacrificed time I could be doing something else to watch the game and talk about it...I deserve (nay, demand) something in return!"

I say, "You got tickets for that money. You got to watch the game. You got clothes and decoration for your home with that merchandise and you got something better to do than the other options at your disposal. You've got everything your money and time paid for...period."

As an entity, the fanship does have control, Here's the problem with that statement: No fan base has less control than a single Cowboys fan because no fan base is as big as the Cowboys fanbase. So, yeah, you can boycott watching games, buying tickets and buying merchandise, but unless you are the extent of the fan base, it won't do you or the team a lick of good. This fan base is too big for the individual to affect change. Therefore, you can get on the bus or get off it...makes no difference, because this bus is going where it is going regardless of what anyone else has to say. You can either accept that or drive yourself crazy trying to change an unchangeable narrative. Makes no difference to me.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I'm not sure there exist such a thing as "more wrong" than what you wrote above. The Dallas Cowboys owe us nothing. Jerry Jones owes us nothing. You say, "I bought tickets, I bought merchandise, I sacrificed time I could be doing something else to watch the game and talk about it...I deserve (nay, demand) something in return!"

I say, "You got tickets for that money. You got to watch the game. You got clothes and decoration for your home with that merchandise and you got something better to do than the other options at your disposal. You've got everything your money and time paid for...period."

As an entity, the fanship does have control, Here's the problem with that statement: No fan base has less control than a single Cowboys fan because no fan base is as big as the Cowboys fanbase. So, yeah, you can boycott watching games, buying tickets and buying merchandise, but unless you are the extent of the fan base, it won't do you or the team a lick of good. This fan base is too big for the individual to affect change. Therefore, you can get on the bus or get off it...makes no difference, because this bus is going where it is going regardless of what anyone else has to say. You can either accept that or drive yourself crazy trying to change an unchangeable narrative. Makes no difference to me.

You as a consumer purchase a product with some type of expectation. Every single time. When I go to the sandwich place, and ask to purchase a sub, get home with a can of soup instead of my sub. I have a decision to make with regards to whether I return to the sandwich place. There should be only so many times this happens before it isn't shame on the business, but shame on the consumer.

Every revolution starts small and expands. Your inner fascist is telling you that you do not matter and this big thing is unattainable.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Full disclosure: I do not anticipate a win Thursday evening. I do not think that Dak can make enough plays in the passing game to keep up with a balanced offense with an elite QB (as long as both QBs are healthy throughout the game).

The story of this game should be how the Cowboys stack up against a legitimate contender that is playing hot and is relatively healthy. Beat the Saints and I will start believing the team can actually play with a real contender. I will even take a game where Dallas stays close the entire game and loses a close one (within one score), but all facets perform well especially on the Cowboys offense (particularly the passing game). Not a game where Dallas has to rally from a huge deficit and the Saints play prevent defense for hollow stats.

Lose by more than one score in a game clearly dominated by the Saints and that tells me the squad has topped out by beating other pretenders this season. The goal should and always will be to make the playoffs and look like a real threat to any team (and occasionally win the SB). Anything less is for losers and enablers.

I disagree. A few years ago the Cowboys beat the Giants twice during the regular season but the Giants ended up winning the Super Bowl that year.

The last thing the Cowboys should do is to go "ALL IN" to beat the Saints. If Tyron, Martin, etc. are not ready to play then don't force it. The Cowboys can win the division even if they get blown out by the Saints.

Once the playoffs arrive, things change. The health status of the teams often change by then. The Cowboys are a very young team and each game is a learning opportunity for many young players. They acquired Cooper mid-season. It takes time to fully integrate a new #1 WR into all offensive plays. Practice time in the modern NFL is very limited during the season.

Historically strong rushing teams are a bit better in the playoffs and high octane passing offenses are not quiet as good in the playoffs as in the regular season.

jday

Reaction score
You as a consumer purchase a product with some type of expectation. Every single time. When I go to the sandwich place, and ask to purchase a sub, get home with a can of soup instead of my sub. I have a decision to make with regards to whether I return to the sandwich place. There should be only so many times this happens before it isn't shame on the business, but shame on the consumer.

Every revolution starts small and expands. Your inner fascist is telling you that you do not matter and this big thing is unattainable.

You are right that I have an expectation when I make a purchase: I expect to get exactly what I paid for; no less, no more. But being a fan of something is nowhere even close to the same thing as a being a consumer. As a fan, (e.g. fanatic) your primary responsibility is to hope your team wins; not expect your team to win. To expect your team to win out of 32 teams is misguided at best.

Blitzen

Reaction score
You are right that I have an expectation when I make a purchase: I expect to get exactly what I paid for; no less, no more. But being a fan of something is nowhere even close to the same thing as a being a consumer. As a fan, (e.g. fanatic) your primary responsibility is to hope your team wins; not expect your team to win. To expect your team to win out of 32 teams is misguided at best.

I get that, but my expectation to make (not win) even one conference final appearance within 23 years is not misguided or entitled. You are a consumer, no matter what your definition of fan is.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Everyone knows how much I believe in this team. The key for victory for me will be the performances of our Oline and Dline. If our big guys win a majority of their matchups in the trenches, Cowboys will win!

Brees gets rid of the ball quickly, so we will need the CBs to play well enough to make Brees hold onto the ball for a few seconds longer. If the D line can win their match up and get to Brees, the good thing is that Brees isn't as mobile as some other QBs, so he won't escape as many sacks as McCoy did or he shouldn't be able to.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Why would you start believing if we beat the Saints? Wouldn't that be enough to make you a total believer in the Cowboys? There aren't any better teams in the NFL than the Saints on paper.

After we beat the Saints there will still be those who move the bar yet again and fail to believe in the Cowboys.

I don't understand the urine drinkers on this forum. What about any given Sunday do you guys not get? If you make the playoffs you have a chance.

Yes, even if the Boys manage to upset the Saints, then I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few Cowboys fans who picked apart the bad things that happened during the game, to say it wasn't a good win and that we they aren't happy about the win.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Brees gets rid of the ball quickly, so we will need the CBs to play well enough to make Brees hold onto the ball for a few seconds longer. If the D line can win their match up and get to Brees, the good thing is that Brees isn't as mobile as some other QBs, so he won't escape as many sacks as McCoy did or he shouldn't be able to.
Exactly. Well said.

jday

Reaction score
I get that, but my expectation to make (not win) even one conference final appearance within 23 years is not misguided or entitled. You are a consumer, no matter what your definition of fan is.
It is as though you and I are having two completely different conversations....

The very fact that you are throwing around "it's been 23 years" tells me you are entitled...I don't even need your OP to come to that conclusion.

en·ti·tled
/inˈtīdld,enˈtīdld/
adjective
  1. believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.
Based on your OP, one could come to the conclusion that you think by merit of being a Cowboys fan over the last 23 years, you are owed a playoff win or championship. That is "entitled" defined.

Blitzen

Reaction score
It is as though you and I are having two completely different conversations....

The very fact that you are throwing around "it's been 23 years" tells me you are entitled...I don't even need your OP to come to that conclusion.

en·ti·tled
/inˈtīdld,enˈtīdld/
adjective
  1. believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.
Based on your OP, one could come to the conclusion that you think by merit of being a Cowboys fan over the last 23 years, you are owed a playoff win or championship. That is "entitled" defined.

Bro, if you think anyone that expects better performance from the team they cheer for is entitled after this long dearth of playoff success then yes you are an enabler or loser type of fan in my book. Just my two cents.