Fire Jason Garrett thread **merged**

Reaction score
I evaluate Garrett based on what he can control. I don't reflexively say if the team didn't get advance to x game in y years it must be Garrett's fault any more than I would blame a player for that. I realize Garrett cannot run out onto the field and force defensive players to get off their blocks.

I think Garrett generally does a good job with some of those things, in particular maintaining the culture. I think there's other guys who could also do that but it's not a given. Under most of the other coaches I've seen post Jimmy Johnson the culture deteriorated and player development went down the tubes. I would say this is true of all of them but Parcells.

In any event I'm not in blow it up mode right now if I'm the GM. I think if they manage to sure up the interior of the defense and Prescott continues to improve this team could break through under Garrett.

If the team take a downward turn you could always switch guys later. Coaches are year to year. When Phillips went 1-7 you knew it was time. You will know when Garrett has lost the team.

Sean Mcvey wasn’t able to buy a beer when we hired Jason Garrett!, how many years does it take to mould a championship team?? If this was his first year or even his fourth of fifth I might be willing to extent some faith, but he was HIRED IN 2007!!!!,!,!

Sydla

Reaction score
I haven't said it's "way too early" to judge him. I wrote my judgement of him up in that post. I just don't reflexively go "we lost so it's the coaches fault."

But tonight was a coaching failure at some level. There’s nothing reflexive about that. It’s sinlly the truth. We got out coached.

Add that into the mix with Garrett’s overall resume and it’s pretty stunning that people still believe Garrett is the guy and is about to turn a corner any moment now.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Fire Linehan , or better yet , Fire the OC every year ... Garrett is doing a fine job .

gmb1

Reaction score
Speaking of McCarthy, can we just hire him? I know I'm dreaming though because Garrett must have something on Jerry Jones.

BTW Wade Phillips>Garrett

mugsybows

Reaction score
How long do we have to wait until it’s clear we won’t break through?

We just completed 8 full seasons with Garrett. Haven’t broken through yet. Haven’t sniffed a champ game (he’s now the longest tenured coach who has never been to a champ game).

This is what I don’t get with some of you. You act like Garrett is heading into Year 3 and it’s way too early to judge him.

He’s been here 8 full seasons. When will some of you finally admit reality? After a dozen years?

We will never ever ever sniff a super bowl with garret at the helm. I’d put my life on it and wouldn’t even be nervous. Dude doesn’t have it and never will.

slomoxn

Reaction score
I won’t blame Garrett for this one, I don’t think he’s a playoff coach but he got them here. What we saw is what happens when you have an OC that has an updated playbook and QB that knows how to read defenses. Goff called plays at the LOS, like dare I say it, Romo used to do. Dak is not being coached, he’s given plays and told to run them how they’re designed,, I don’t know if he can’t do more but he isn’t. Are they not teaching him or is he incapable? The defense got gashed, we can say no big bodies but they’ve been fine all year, but teams like the Rams (colts) best them down. If the offense could have matched the Rams they could have won.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I won’t blame Garrett for this one, I don’t think he’s a playoff coach but he got them here. What we saw is what happens when you have an OC that has an updated playbook and QB that knows how to read defenses. Goff called plays at the LOS, like dare I say it, Romo used to do. Dak is not being coached, he’s given plays and told to run them how they’re designed,, I don’t know if he can’t do more but he isn’t. Are they not teaching him or is he incapable? The defense got gashed, we can say no big bodies but they’ve been fine all year, but teams like the Rams (colts) best them down. If the offense could have matched the Rams they could have won.

The moment you realize you won't blame Garrett after 9 years of not blaming him :

CPanther95

Reaction score
If the Saints beat the Eagles, there will have been 12 different NFC teams in at least one NFCCG since Garrett became head coach.

ICP

Reaction score
Don't know if this has been mentioned but did anyone see the huge smile on Garrett's face when he congratulated McVay? He looked like a best friend that was truly happy his buddy beat him. Just disgusting, can't stand the Carrot, he's gotta go if this team is ever going to take a step forward. And if Jerruh won't do it you know he really doesn't care about winning

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been mentioned but did anyone see the huge smile on Garrett's face when he congratulated McVay? He looked like a best friend that was truly happy his buddy beat him.
He always does that. He did that after the game when he froze Bailey... Whisenhunt looked at him like, "What are you so happy about?"

Jason is extremely concerned about his image and having people like him, thus the toothpaste smiles even at inappropriate times.

slomoxn

Reaction score
The moment you realize you won't blame Garrett after 9 years of not blaming him :

Actually I’ve blamed Garrett for the last 5 or 6 years but this game wasn’t on him. Dallas got out played today plain and simple. The offense was stagnant, defense got beat down, I don’t think Garrett is a playoff coach and never will. This is his ceiling and this team will stay at divisional winners but nothing else with him; and that’s every few years not consecutively. If they keep Garrett Linehan has to go. I’m just saying they got beat plain and simple, they were ready and readily got punched in the mouth.

If they want to get farther in the playoffs Garrett probably needs to go, Linehan definitely., but Garrett didn’t let the NT push the center into the backfield on 4th and 1. He didn’t throw passes behind receivers several times, he didn’t drop passes, miss blocks or get manhandled at the LOS. I don’t think he’s a good coach, he is a good motivator though but that doesn’t win championships. Coaching does.