Fired as an NFL HC - what would you do?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Got fired as an NFL head coach? The way you approach your next job opportunity will determine if you ever get another head job again.

McCarthy. Fired from GB. Rogers said he was an idiot. Sat out a year. Re-invented his personal brand by saying he hung out in his barn, watched every single game, and had a renewed focus on analytics and modern football. Hired as HC of Dallas Cowboys.

Quinn is run out of atlanta. Blown leads. Loser. Takes D-coordinator job at Dallas. Dallas D improves greatly, and he is one of the hottest HC options. Followed the McCarthy script - re-invented his personal brand after getting fired based upon 'studying himself' and re-tooling his defensive thinking to be far beyond the ''legion of boom'

Garret run out of Dallas. Mr 500 but overall his reputation was ok. Takes O-coordinator job for Giants. O is terrible. Gets fired. He will never get a head job again and probably not an OC job. Should he have sat out a year and re-invented his thinking and personal brand? I think he should have. Even though I think he sucks, I think its 50/50 he would have gotten a HC opportunity if he would have sat out a year and created a 'computer and stats football lab' in his basement and re-packaged himself in a fresh way. He is way too stubborn to do that tho...

Of all the coaches who just got fired, what should they do? Take coordinator jobs? Obviously it's case by case. But I think you have to think hard about sitting out and creating a new story about urself, especially if you have had enough success as a HC.

What would you do?

I think Garret should try another league like the NCAA or the CFL.

Praxit

Reaction score
...UPS is hiring. Show them your Pro Bowl badge. ;)..

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Got fired as an NFL head coach? The way you approach your next job opportunity will determine if you ever get another head job again.

McCarthy. Fired from GB. Rogers said he was an idiot. Sat out a year. Re-invented his personal brand by saying he hung out in his barn, watched every single game, and had a renewed focus on analytics and modern football. Hired as HC of Dallas Cowboys.

Quinn is run out of atlanta. Blown leads. Loser. Takes D-coordinator job at Dallas. Dallas D improves greatly, and he is one of the hottest HC options. Followed the McCarthy script - re-invented his personal brand after getting fired based upon 'studying himself' and re-tooling his defensive thinking to be far beyond the ''legion of boom'

Garret run out of Dallas. Mr 500 but overall his reputation was ok. Takes O-coordinator job for Giants. O is terrible. Gets fired. He will never get a head job again and probably not an OC job. Should he have sat out a year and re-invented his thinking and personal brand? I think he should have. Even though I think he sucks, I think its 50/50 he would have gotten a HC opportunity if he would have sat out a year and created a 'computer and stats football lab' in his basement and re-packaged himself in a fresh way. He is way too stubborn to do that tho...

Of all the coaches who just got fired, what should they do? Take coordinator jobs? Obviously it's case by case. But I think you have to think hard about sitting out and creating a new story about urself, especially if you have had enough success as a HC.

What would you do?
First, Jason Garrett does not occupy space in my mind the way he does in yours.

You answered the main question so I don't know why you even bothered to ask it. As you already said, it's a case-by-case answer.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I’d take a year off and travel to all those places I want to see, maybe even 2. Then I’d buy a nice place in Sedona Arizona and start a podcast…

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Pull a Jimmy, move to the keys and work for an NFL show.
Jimmy's living the life.
He doesn't even have to come in to work.
He pipes in by remote.
And, get this, they pay him seven figures to give his opinion for five months ... ON HIS BOAT!

blueblood70

Reaction score

What would you do?
Garett simply chose the wrong job if you believe that horrid offense was on him, you still hater..lmao..before he got there it was bad, after he left bad..you have to have personnel ie players and well they dont have a qb, overrated rb, inconsistent ol, and went and got extra WRs yes that was the answer.
DQ and MM chose a better place to go reinvent themselves.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Personally I would retire and travel all over the world.

but for coaching again. I think being a coordinator is probably better. You need to have a really good resume and been highly successful at your last stop, for the sit out a year strategy to work.

lukin2006

Reaction score
LOL. A lower level of skill is needed to play in the CFL than in the NFL. Maybe the same is true of coaching, and Garrett will do better there.
Marv Levy won a couple of championships with Montreal as there head coach…so he could go there.

Pentagruel

Reaction score

What would you do?

I think if you get fired as a HC you do need to be picky about your next gig because if you fail again, especially in a lower position like OC/DC you will have severely damaged your reputation from which it will take a long time to recover from, maybe even never. If there is a position available where you have a good chance to succeed and really make a difference then I see no need to take time off but yeah, if only the least desirable jobs are left available I think you would do better to refresh yourself, re-evaluate your performance and look again next year for a better opportunity. Of course that is easier said then done.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity - who else would have hired McCarthy? Did he have any other interviews lined up?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Getting fired in the NFL is part of the business. Some very good coaches and well respect leaders have been let go over the years.

In life— you gotta know your value, stay humble, continue to learn and grow, be open to new possibilities and opportunities, and treat people well. Business is always about trust and relationships.

I have done a lot of different things in my life, and have not “applied” for a job since 2005. Opportunities and invitations have come through relationships. God opens doors no man can shut… don’t be too proud to take a lesser position to serve the greater good and the people around you.

I love what Quinn is doing. He is all about people. He loves his guys. He is passionate about teaching and working together in brotherhood towards a common goal. He has purpose and passion in his life and is thriving. Opportunities are certainly going to come his way— and he is content to stay right where he is and only accept an offer on his terms. Can’t get any better than that really…