Firing Garrett and keeping Kellen Moore was like someone getting a new hairstyle

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The offense is 10x better than it ever was under Jason Garrett lmao

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Boring people struggle at being creative. Then they try to hard and over do it. That describes Garrett, Moore, and McCarthy.

All three suck.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Moore was made the OC because he was young, and supposedly smart and innovative. I'm sure Jerry was aware he would struggle in his first year, but also thought as soon as he "got his feet wet", that he would "blossom" into this great offensive guru.

Hasn't happened yet. Will it? The NFL is pretty complex, not every OC turns into a Norv Turner in 2 years. Might take Moore another year. Of course if that's the case the Cowboys' fans won't have much patience with that, they're already howling for him to be fired, or at the least saying he's a terrible OC.

And we don't know how much input/control Jerry and McCarthy have on him, I seriously doubt Moore has been given 100%, or even 90%, of the control over the offense. The head coach sets the tone and overall direction of the team, if McCarthy says "don't run the ball on 4th and short", e.g. then Moore would have to acquiesce, in all likelihood.

Personally I don't think he has that much control, given the way Jerry runs the team, just saying we don't really know the situation...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Moore was kept because Dak loves him. And IMO because McCarthy anticipated Dak holding out all summer, and didn't want to implement a new offense with new terminology (this was all pre-Covid, obviously).

I don't think that's a good reason to keep a coach, but I think that had a lot to do with it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
By keeping Moore as OC it should have allowed Dak and the offense to keep rolling at a fairly high level. for all their slow starts they did score 31+ points 8 times last year. Firing Moore and changing the system would have set these guys back just like it did our defense.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I hate Moore s RedZone playcalls. He is literally JG 2.0, but JJ thinks he's the next HC in training again.
Jerry's is nothing but a belligerent drunk making executive decisions.

Well, to be fair, he does actually own the team. It is his money that pays the bills so yeah, there is that.