First 8 games of 2017 vs second 8 games

817Gill

Reaction score
Bob Sturm on Dak and the offense last year

“This is all important to keep in mind as we judge the 2017 offense. There was a clear line of demarcation where the Cowboys offense fell off a cliff. But it’s important to remember the eight games played before that line – and during those first eight games, the Dallas offense was still the unit everyone loved in 2016. I have said this over and over in pieces this offseason, and I don’t sense the fanbase believes it. But by all measurable statistics and even the eye test of a careful review, it is true. The Cowboys’ offense through the Kansas City game was the same power from the year before.

Then, it all changed the week of the Atlanta game.

We know why it changed. Ezekiel Elliott began his suspension and perhaps, more importantly, Tyron Smith suffered his injury at the end of the Kansas City game. At first, there was hope it was just a small issue and that he might not miss a game. But Smith missed several and never looked the same. Elliott and his left tackle would play only three snaps together the rest of the season. Not three games. Three snaps.

Last week, I offered the actual statistics about sacks allowed. But to show you how catastrophic the Atlanta game was, consider this hypothetical statistic. Five times in 2016-2017, the offensive line never conceded a sack. What would the 2017 season have looked like if the Falcons game turned out that way?”

I have been saying this from day one and a lot of real nfl guys have agreed.

Why does a good chunk of the fanbase wanna spin this into hate for the Dak? This thing seems pretty simple to me. Weapons and protections there, Dak plays well. Weapons and protection gone, Dak struggles. Sounds like any other QB not named Rodgers/Brees/Brady.

Did we forget Derek Carr’s 2016-2017 drop off? It happened for almost the same reasons as Dak; decline in running game, decline in receiver play, decline in O-line play, bad coaching, and spotty defense. When all these things declined from 2016-2017 for Oakland, so did Derek Carr’s play. I bet 0 Raiders fans are calling for his head though.

Here’s the full piece by the way

https://***BLOCKED***/395718/2018/0...ister-volume-2-feat-adrian-clayborns-big-day/

Last edited:

CPanther95

Reaction score
Yeah you can do the free trial if you want to read the whole thing. The excerpt I posted is the meat of the article.

I'm not going to trust the opinion of someone that gives away the meat for free and then expects to make his money from the people that pay to get the vegetables.

That shows poor judgment.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Dak wasn’t the only issue during the final 8 games, but he played his part. As the QB you’re going to have to take more criticism than you probably deserve...because God knows you get more praise than you deserve when things are going well. It’s just the way it is.

817Gill

Reaction score
Dak wasn’t the only issue during the final 8 games, but he played his part. As the QB you’re going to have to take more criticism than you probably deserve...because God knows you get more praise than you deserve when things are going well. It’s just the way it is.
Yeah the last 8 games he definitely has some blame but again those losses seem hard to overcome for a 2nd year guy. My biggest issue is with fans who argue he played poorly the first half, that’s just asinine.

1nfljunky

Reaction score
yup dak was in the MVP discussion through 8 games....then the bottom dropped out....this team will rebound this year!
Stop the madness. There is no MVP talk through 8 games. That's just dumb. MVPs prove themselves in the toughest times of the year. The season doesn't start until then. So in the toughest point of the season he failed miserably. So that "talk" that you speak of was stupid, if there ever was any.

starcity214

Reaction score
What about the Denver game?

What about the first game of the season against the Giants? Prescott was missing wide open receivers in the endzone and had a couple INTs dropped by the defense... We won , but the offense looked bad.

What about the Cardinals game?
Palmer looked better than Prescott and were it not for 2 plays , Prescott had his career average 150 yard game with no touchdowns and constant three and outs..

In those three games , we were healthy.
In those three games, Dak showed the same warts that he did in the last 8 games of the season..

Am I living in some bizarro universe where these things didn't happen?

Mind boggling..

starcity214

Reaction score
yup dak was in the MVP discussion through 8 games....then the bottom dropped out....this team will rebound this year!

If Dak was in the "MVP" discussions, that tells you that award is worthless..

Once Zeke was suspended the "MVP" looked like a practice squad player..

The only MVP in this team is Zeke. After last year , this discussion should be dead..