Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is a stupid reasoning to make this trade

QBs taken in the first round the last three drafts

2016: Goff, Wentz, Lynch

2017: Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes

2018: Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson

All better than Dak with the exception of Allen Lynch and Jackson

Willie....this is only true if you've given up on your current QB. They have not....so what's the point (lol).

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
You have to think that Cooper gives you 7-8 years. Thomas gives you 3-4 tops and he has some freaky injuries. Not injury prone, but random injuries.

Cooper is only under contract for a year and a half. Then he is a FA and Dallas will have to
That means you also get a likely 4th round comp if Cooper signs elsewhere.
The variables on things are all over.

Realistically DAL has Cooper for 2 years at very affordable then the 3rd year would be the first year of an extension and what that costs will be decided by the team but year 1's don't have to be costly. If year 1 comes in at 10M you are still talking about 3 years for 25M which is a fir better deal than Watkins would have been.

DAL is not a team hurting for bargain players. It's the youngest team in football.
They need actual primo talent.
Cooper as a former 4th overall is that.

Can he reach that potential? Who knows but even at his lessened state of this year he is a major upgrade.
It's like dating a supermodel while she is pregnant.
She may never model again but she's going to he a far cry from average.
Dallas has been dating 3s and 4s at WR.

A 4th rd comp is great when you lose a player you drafted after 4 or 5 years. It is a pittance when using a 1st rd pick for a player you had for 1 1/2 years.
He is very affordable this year but next year he will cost 14 mil.
An extension wont be decided by Dallas. It will be decided by the open market since they didn't have the forethought to make the trade contingent on negotiating an extension. 31 other teams will be able to bid for his services as well.

Dallas currently is not a team hurting for bargain players and that is due to avoiding these kinds of situations but several big time players will be negotiating second contracts soon and many of them will be very expensive. This may even have played into their reasoning of not wanting to negotiate an extension with Cooper or worse they may not be sure he is good enough to warrant an extension which begs the question why use a 1st rd pick to trade for him?

I hope he works out and I hope he is worthy of a new contract and I hope he decides to re-sign with Dallas if he is and I hope if that happens we are able to re-sign him at an affordable rate but that is a whole lotta hopes that have to come true in order for him to be worth trading a 1st rd pick for.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Rather trade up in the first than to give up a 1st for a wide receiver who isn't even established as a dominant player... Earl Thomas would have made a much bigger difference for example. It's a bad move.
Probably, but they're not shopping for a QB early. This is a sign that they think Dak's struggling because of the players around him.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Wanted a QB in the first next year. Absolutely didn't want a WR.

There’s only one QB that I think is even worth a 1st-Round pick next year and that is Herbert out of Oregon, and he will likely go top 3. We wouldn’t have had a shot him anyways. The other QB’s are so meh in this year’s class. 2020 should be much stronger.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
There are not many good QB's coming up next year and the Giants and others will grab them. 2020 and get us Tua, trade up for him, first rounder. Next year for QB's is a bust.

2 problems with this, 1. We still have the same problem next season and 2. We still have red which means another 7-9 wins to keep you from being able to grab Tua and would cost you your whole draft and parts of the following draft to move up to get him.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
There’s only one QB that I think is even worth a 1st-Round pick next year and that is Herbert out of Oregon, and he will likely go top 3. We wouldn’t have had a shot him anyways. The other QB’s are so meh in this year’s class. 2020 should be much stronger.

I'd rather give up next years first and 2020s first and get Herbert than 2020s first and Amari Cooper... on loan for a year and a half.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Same people who thought the wide receivers would be fine. Same people who thought to bench Romo for Dak.

There is a clue in all that...

I thought the WRs and TEs might be enough but I also thought Dak would improve and Zeke wouldn't be putting up subpar numbers.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Draft a WR in the first next year? I wanted o-line help!!

Unless Frederick shows he will be unable to come back, we were not drafting an offensive lineman in the first round.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I thought the WRs and TEs might be enough but I also thought Dak would improve and Zeke wouldn't be putting up subpar numbers.

Zeke is putting up subpar numbers (3rd in the league in rushing) because we have no pass attack.

I didn't think the WRs and TEs would be enough and I also knew Dak wouldn't improve.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Unless Frederick shows he will be unable to come back, we were not drafting an offensive lineman in the first round.

I don't know, our OTs are worrying me and I'm not convinced Connor Williams is a good LG.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Zeke is putting up subpar numbers (3rd in the league in rushing) because we have no pass attack.

I didn't think the WRs and TEs would be enough and I also knew Dak wouldn't improve.

33 yards rushing is inexcusable, regardless of who's at fault. I was never really sold on Jarwin, was hoping for more from Swaim and Schultz. Was hoping for 1000 yards Hurns, not the bum we got. Was also hoping Gallup would develop faster.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could've went S, QB, DT.. they had options and the team tossed them out the window for another WR. Mind blowing. The guy has 280 yards through 6 games, but I'm sure he'll flip the switch as soon as he gets here.
They will probably get Thomas so there's the S, they don't do DT's in the 1st since Maryland and that was Johnson and this QB class, if Herbert doesn't come out, is not good and would take draft collateral to move up.

I am not sold on Cooper either but at one time he was the best in college and was very good as a while as a pro. He was BWRA and there was other interest from other teams, just not willing to offer a 1st. But then why would the Eagles offer a 1st when they have Jeffery but according to reports, they were willing to give up a 2nd.

The truth is we don't know the truth. We don't know what the brain trust is thinking. The only thing we do know is that they're not willing to just "play these" like they said they were going to do.

Biggie, my question is simpler. If it is true that the WR's they have now are getting open and not getting targets, what will another one of those do or will Cooper come with the same label Bryant did "#1WR, Find this guy, throw to him".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know, our OTs are worrying me and I'm not convinced Connor Williams is a good LG.
Ain't this something? Worry because we don't have an OL or DL, get an OL but still no DL, finally get a DL and now the OL is questionable and this isn't just Yosemite being out, Looney is the 2nd best OL behind Martin on the line.