Twitter: First round WRs taken last 3 years

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
33 yards rushing is inexcusable, regardless of who's at fault. I was never really sold on Jarwin, was hoping for more from Swaim and Schultz. Was hoping for 1000 yards Hurns, not the bum we got. Was also hoping Gallup would develop faster.
Gallup is the only one I would excuse in that group, he would progress better with better WR's around him. Hell, he may be the best WR they have after Beasley.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ain't this something? Worry because we don't have an OL or DL, get an OL but still no DL, finally get a DL and now the OL is questionable and this isn't just Yosemite being out, Looney is the 2nd best OL behind Martin on the line.

There was just an offensive line coaching change this season. Does that have something to do with line effectiveness?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I prefer us offering a 2nd + a 4th than a 1st.

Really think that would have won the field, after the Eagles offer? I don't...that's more of a grocery store coupon affair.

Sydla

Reaction score
Based on what? He's gotten better and better as the season has progressed.

He seemed to regress last week against the Skins.

I really wonder if the better lineup going forward isn't flip flopping Collins and Williams at some point.

mardwin

Reaction score
Really think that would have won the field, after the Eagles offer? I don't...that's more of a grocery store coupon affair.

You only trade a first round pick if you believe you are close to winning a championship and this guy is going to help you close the deal. Dallas is not a WR away from accomplishing that, specially with the issues at QB. Trading away your first round picks leads to going 5-11 in consecutive years.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You only trade a first round pick if you believe you are close to winning a championship and this guy is going to help you close the deal. Dallas is not a WR away from accomplishing that, specially with the issues at QB. Trading away your first round picks leads to going 5-11 in consecutive years.

You don't prove any of the above assumptions...pass.

The team is very youthful...and he may be an important ingredient in the offense, jelling as a team. That is worth every bit of a first round pick.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Fans don't have to like it but fans have ZERO say in what Jerry Jones does, as I've tried to tell you guys. Our job is to cry, whine and throw hissy fits like a bunch of three year olds, while the Adults (Jerry Jones) makes all of the decisions. Like it or not, he's ours now.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Ain't this something? Worry because we don't have an OL or DL, get an OL but still no DL, finally get a DL and now the OL is questionable and this isn't just Yosemite being out, Looney is the 2nd best OL behind Martin on the line.

Someone else mentions this in a tweet today........all you can do is shake your head :huh:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is more to figuring out the value of this trade.

only 1 1/2 years of control for a 1st rounder with no extension negotiated. A high price to pay even if Cooper ends up being a stud.

They couldn't negotiate an extension before he was on the team.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

Agree, now the problem with a 5-11 season, we don't get the benefit of that pick it will be the Raiders pick now. Talk about stupid. I can see us going that now since it is not our pick.

mardwin

Reaction score
You don't prove any of the above assumptions...pass.

The team is very youthful...and he may be an important ingredient in the offense, jelling as a team. That is worth every bit of a first round pick.

Nobody was going to offer a 1st round besides the Cowboys that's a FACT! The Cowboys front office as usual panicked and gave into the Raider's demand. So if you believe that a WR that's going to cost you $14M next year plus a 1st round pick is a good investment long term then you're really not looking at this long term. The Raiders weren't paying $14M for the guy, they are in rebuilding mode and he was getting traded regardless. The question was about who was going to be dumb enough to overpay and the Cowboys raised their hand.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I don't think alot of people are looking at the Cooper trade in terms of the BIG, big picture. This team has drafted well, gotten the salary cap in order, developed their own players, and not been players on the trade market or in free agency significantly whatsoever in recent memory. When Jerry made the Galloway and the Williams trades, he gave up multiple high end picks to add flash players to a roster devoid of O-line talent, and did it when we were already in cap Hell. It was paying premium money to add a chandelier (and in Galloway and Williams' case, more like a bare bones light at Lowes) to a haunted house. I don't think giving up a single #1 pick to add what should be a giant missing piece to a relatively complete team otherwise (that is solid at all of the non-flashy positions and has a great D) is the same thing. Some of you seem to think the front office should be operating under the assumptions this board is that Dak and Garrett are garbage and should be gone and we should save all our draft picks, etc. That is completely unrealistic.

I also think this trade is great because I truly believe Garrett will be out (and Linehan will DEFINITELY be out) if we don't make a legit run this year with how wide open the east is. I think this trade eliminates any excuse Garrett can make. I was very angry when I heard about it yesterday, but since we've done nothing but complain about the lack of significant personnel moves in recent years, coupled with the simple facts of how many WR's drafted in the first haven done anything and how Cooper is still young and a 2 time pro bowler, plus the lack of WR talent in next years draft, I am willing to forego one first round pick for all of this. Also, we don't have to defend him twice a year with Wentz throwing him the ball. The only thing that sucks is his 5th year option cap hit.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There are not many good QB's coming up next year and the Giants and others will grab them. 2020 and get us Tua, trade up for him, first rounder. Next year for QB's is a bust.
how do you know? college year hasn't finished and no player evaluations done yet.....and I am not sold on Tua.....

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I don't think alot of people are looking at the Cooper trade in terms of the BIG, big picture. This team has drafted well, gotten the salary cap in order, developed their own players, and not been players on the trade market or in free agency significantly whatsoever in recent memory. When Jerry made the Galloway and the Williams trades, he gave up multiple high end picks to add flash players to a roster devoid of O-line talent, and did it when we were already in cap Hell. It was paying premium money to add a chandelier (and in Galloway and Williams' case, more like a bare bones light at Lowes) to a haunted house. I don't think giving up a single #1 pick to add what should be a giant missing piece to a relatively complete team otherwise (that is solid at all of the non-flashy positions and has a great D) is the same thing. Some of you seem to think the front office should be operating under the assumptions this board is that Dak and Garrett are garbage and should be gone and we should save all our draft picks, etc. That is completely unrealistic.

I also think this trade is great because I truly believe Garrett will be out (and Linehan will DEFINITELY be out) if we don't make a legit run this year with how wide open the east is. I think this trade eliminates any excuse Garrett can make. I was very angry when I heard about it yesterday, but since we've done nothing but complain about the lack of significant personnel moves in recent years, coupled with the simple facts of how many WR's drafted in the first haven done anything and how Cooper is still young and a 2 time pro bowler, plus the lack of WR talent in next years draft, I am willing to forego one first round pick for all of this. The only thing that sucks is his 5th year option cap hit.

If red is out after this season, that will start my healing process much quicker.

lwehlers

Reaction score
Probably, but they're not shopping for a QB early. This is a sign that they think Dak's struggling because of the players around him.
hopefully we will see if that is reason why Prescott is struggling so much at time this season.