Twitter: First round WRs taken last 3 years

Big_D

Reaction score
They will probably get Thomas so there's the S, they don't do DT's in the 1st since Maryland and that was Johnson and this QB class, if Herbert doesn't come out, is not good and would take draft collateral to move up.

I am not sold on Cooper either but at one time he was the best in college and was very good as a while as a pro. He was BWRA and there was other interest from other teams, just not willing to offer a 1st. But then why would the Eagles offer a 1st when they have Jeffery but according to reports, they were willing to give up a 2nd.

The truth is we don't know the truth. We don't know what the brain trust is thinking. The only thing we do know is that they're not willing to just "play these" like they said they were going to do.

Biggie, my question is simpler. If it is true that the WR's they have now are getting open and not getting targets, what will another one of those do or will Cooper come with the same label Bryant did "#1WR, Find this guy, throw to him".

It's a red flag when no other team is willing to part with a first except for the cowboys? And it's about time they go DT. They certainly spend enough time, money, draft picks and resources at WR with no real results. You want to emulate good teams. The cream of the crop in the NFC has 2 first rounders on the interior DL. and a #1 pick at QB. This team is simply moronic. This trade just seems like a desperation move after yet another coaching gaffe on Sunday. They should be building through the draft and getting those very important first round rookie deals. Unfortunately the real problem is still on the sidelines and the QB just isn't very good. Which will ultimately make this trade look like a bad idea.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Note that drafting a WR in the 1st is not the only thing we could have done with our 1st.

Go look at our 1st round picks for the last 5 years. The only guy that's even a question for being worth less than the Cooper contract is Taco.

Martin, Jones, Elliot, Taco, LVE.

Sydla

Reaction score
Again with this? That isn't going to happen no matter how many in suggest it.

I don’t think this is outrageous, especially if this team finds itself with a new staff.

No need to get angry about it, by the way. LOL

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Note that drafting a WR in the 1st is not the only thing we could have done with our 1st.

Go look at our 1st round picks for the last 5 years. The only guy that's even a question for being worth less than the Cooper contract is Taco.

Martin, Jones, Elliot, Taco, LVE.
We generally have stuck to the script and took the position expected in R1.
They were taking a WR next year they proved that by trading it off for one.
The team has as much as admitted that openly in Garrett's press conference.

It was the weakest position on the team and they did look at the early WR scouting boards to consider what they could have gotten in the draft.
They felt it was light in top end talent so grabbed Cooper.
In their meetings it was clearly seen as using the 2019 pick for a WR NOW As opposed to waiting.

Stephen is the most conservative guy alive. He didn't OK this for flash or fun; he did it because logic was strong and everyone was in agreement.

KDM256

Reaction score
To me, Ridley is the closest to early production of Cooper's.

Cooper is still a first round level of a gamble.

Funny thing about this is that Cooper, Ridley, and Alabama's Current superstar Jerry Jeudy all grew up in the same area and all has similar styles in regards to their route running and can run the entire route tree.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
It's a red flag when no other team is willing to part with a first except for the cowboys? And it's about time they go DT. They certainly spend enough time, money, draft picks and resources at WR with no real results. You want to emulate good teams. The cream of the crop in the NFC has 2 first rounders on the interior DL. and a #1 pick at QB. This team is simply moronic. This trade just seems like a desperation move after yet another coaching gaffe on Sunday. They should be building through the draft and getting those very important first round rookie deals. Unfortunately the real problem is still on the sidelines and the QB just isn't very good. Which will ultimately make this trade look like a bad idea.

This, they sure got no pressure on Alex Smith Sunday. See where Troy Aikman was a little skeptical of the trade, said if they knew there receivers were not up to par for only a measly 5th could have had a better player and not gave up a ransom to help the team in the future.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This, they sure got no pressure on Alex Smith Sunday. See where Troy Aikman was a little skeptical of the trade, said if they knew there receivers were not up to par for only a measly 5th could have had a better player and not gave up a ransom to help the team in the future.

Who could they have had for a "measly 5th" that would have been better than Cooper?

Big_D

Reaction score

even a 2nd or 3rd. hard to believe Cooper for a 1st was the absolute only option available. They screwed themsleves. No surprises with this front office.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
even a 2nd or 3rd. hard to believe Cooper for a 1st was the absolute only option available. They screwed themsleves. No surprises with this front office.

Agree, we absolutely pissed on ourselves on this trade. The egirls offered a 2nd and when the Raiders demanded a first, they slammed the phone down on them and said you must think we are fools.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We generally have stuck to the script and took the position expected in R1.
They were taking a WR next year they proved that by trading it off for one.
The team has as much as admitted that openly in Garrett's press conference.

It was the weakest position on the team and they did look at the early WR scouting boards to consider what they could have gotten in the draft.
They felt it was light in top end talent so grabbed Cooper.
In their meetings it was clearly seen as using the 2019 pick for a WR NOW As opposed to waiting.

Stephen is the most conservative guy alive. He didn't OK this for flash or fun; he did it because logic was strong and everyone was in agreement.

I hadn't heard that "desperately draft for our weakest position" was the new official draft strategy.

Of course, if we were really going to do that, we would be drafting a TE.

This is a horribly desperate move, trading a first round pick for 5 years for a first round pick for 1.5 years.

I hope to hear who was on board with this, and who not. What's your source for everyone being on board?

Big_D

Reaction score
I hadn't heard that "desperately draft for our weakest position" was the new official draft strategy.

This is a horribly desperate move, trading a first round pick for 5 years for a first round pick for 1.5 years.

I hope to hear who was on board with this, and who not. What's your source for everyone being on board?

makes the front office even more stupid than we originally thought. You didn't think that was possible, but apparently it is.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

I was going to post something similar about who wanted to veto this trade and was overruled.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Rather trade up in the first than to give up a 1st for a wide receiver who isn't even established as a dominant player... Earl Thomas would have made a much bigger difference for example. It's a bad move.
how so?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Then you haven't been paying attention.
DAL has told us they needed a LB last year and Dane knew we were drafting LVE 2-3 weeks before the draft even though most had him a 2nd round grade.
Fans were Ridley, Safety, Vea... DAL was taking LB and LVE was their guy.
The year before with Taco we were told they needed a War Daddy. And they didn't draft a pure pass rusher but instead a monster of a man.

2016 they wanted Bosa but he was gone so they went Zeke because they needed a RB to replace Demarco Murray.
Zeke was mocked to DAL for months. I couldn't believe it tbh (because they hadn't paid any RB or drafted any high in years after Felix busted out) but it was the easy prediction.

So it's been back as far as Byron Jones before we really were not sure what may come.
In fact it is often rumored DAL intentionally leaks the picks now just so the fans are prepared and don't boo the guy.