Video: First Things First-Would the Cowboys be making a huge mistake making Dak one of the highest paid QBs

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
They're going to get a reasonable market-rate deal done that basically reflects what was paid to Cousins minus the enormous guarantee percentage and plus a premium for the deal being a year newer. It'll work out just like the Lawrence deal did in that it will be a reasonable deal for his age, ability, production, and people will still freak out because it will be 'Dak' and there will be a high AAV on it because he's a QB.

It'll be nice to get him signed, though, and to be moving on to Cooper and Elliott and Jones.
Just like the DLaw deal. Just like almost all the deals that have been made since Garret/Stephen have taken over.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Man you’re giving the panty wads just another thread to vent their hate. Come on man!
Haha..

This is going to continue for months..

next is Cooper..

Then Zeke..

Then Byron Jones...

Then Jaylon Smith

Then Wolf Hunter..

Then?

Get used to everybody picking at the road kill..

:omg:

408Cowboy

Reaction score
It is going to happen year after year , bro.

After all these guys get signed..

we will debate, comment and move on.

If you are bored with the thread..

Hit 'ignore'.

I prefer to watch a video for 10 minutes as opposed to reading multiple threads for hours.

Just me.
You mean you prefer to start a thread for every video you watch right?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
You mean you prefer to start a thread for every video you watch right?

who cares, he saves me time, i dont get to see the show. in fact i wish they would give him his own room and keep some of us updated. I like that people try to help others here. He as zero ill will.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
giphy.gif

dckid

Reaction score
Back then it was not the mega business it is now.

There are a few things that as a 50 year fan I can be pleased with..

Jerrah has won the race to be the most successful franchise financially.

The stadium and training facilities are state of the art.

the cheerleaders are still the best..

as far as entertainment they never lack for interest.

And despite instances of player misbehavior at times..

the team has maintained it's icon image.

Winning is a sidebar issue to be desired and followed by the fans.

I just want one more title before I'm gone.

Jerrah, too.

You are 100% right about Winning is a sidebar issue.
Jerry has won in the game of life with the Cowboys 100% agree on that also.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Back then it was not the mega business it is now.

There are a few things that as a 50 year fan I can be pleased with..

Jerrah has won the race to be the most successful franchise financially.

The stadium and training facilities are state of the art.

the cheerleaders are still the best..

as far as entertainment they never lack for interest.

And despite instances of player misbehavior at times..

the team has maintained it's icon image.

Winning is a sidebar issue to be desired and followed by the fans.

I just want one more title before I'm gone.

Jerrah, too.
Agreed and well said

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s annoying hearing people attribute Dak’s dip to Elliott’s suspension when the real issue was the protection when Tyron went down and the defense being dependent on Sean Lee before Jaylon and VDE were really available.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
It’s annoying hearing people attribute Dak’s dip to Elliott’s suspension when the real issue was the protection when Tyron went down and the defense being dependent on Sean Lee before Jaylon and VDE were really available.

so FOs fault? yea, i agree.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
People have to quit getting bogged down with the fact that Dak will be among the higher paid QBs because it's not a function of value relative to other QB's who are under a current contract, it's a function of the market at the time the contract is being negotiated.

If Rodgers, Roethlesberger, Brees and others were negotiating contracts today, they would get significantly more money than they are making now, and significantly more than Dak would get. But that's not the timing. It just happens that it is Dak's contract, and not theirs, that is coming up. In a year or two less productive QB's than Dak will likely end up with bigger contracts than Dak's because they will have to be paid relative to the market as it is at that time.
Every player that signs a new contract does not become among the highest paid players at their position.

What a weird way to think.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so FOs fault? yea, i agree.

They didn’t have depth in key areas. And there were players like Zack Brown available in FA that offseason who could have been signed affordably to fill out the roster.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Of course. Never before have so many been so enamored with mediocrity

I don’t hate the man, but I pity the fool

Yet that clown Wentz is praised so much on here and has accomplished zero. And then the lord and savior Romo and Witten, which accomplished zero. People pick and choose who they want to support based on their agendas.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some of you guys need to re-watch games form the 2015 season and remember what a JAG at QB actually looks like.

csirl

Reaction score
Teams do it all the time, both to avoid paying next year's rate (salaries go up every year, and QB salaries in particular are escalating rapidly) and to make sure there isn't a risk of the player's contract expiring, in which case you would be stuck competing for him with any other NFL team that may be interested, and may end up losing the player.

Not where

1. The HC is in final year of contract.

2. The QB in question hasnt established themselves as an elite QB.

Proof

Reaction score
Dak being ONE OF the highest paid is inevitable, simply because all contracts keep getting inflated year after year as the salary cap grows. It's gone up 31% since 2015. So the most recent contracts are almost always the biggest ones regardless. But people here will lose their minds regardless.

This principle is obviously understood, the sticking point is that every next qb up doesn’t need to be the highest paid. There’s room to adjust for inflation / cap amount AND skill / relative value. But these lemmings continue to march off the cliff.

I honestly fail to see how the vast majority of QBs in the league (save the absolute bums) couldn’t perform reasonably well with this line, Zeke, amari, Gallup and Cobb in tow