Video: Fish: Cowboys 7 steps back to the playoffs

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jaylon is an old school SAM. He can man cover TEs or rush the passer. He can attack one gap in run stop game. He can deliver a serious blow to a ball carrier.
Problem is SAMs are mostly gone from the game.
So he has to play Mike or Will. Will gets matched up far too often with quicker players.
And Mike is a position almost wholly dependent on DT play.

What you absolutely can not so with Jaylon is ask him to cover WRs or ask him to engage blockers then read the play to make stops.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Thank you
He must be drinking lol
Some I like, some very vague, some is never gonna happen
Fish is an old cantankerous cuss and well so am I so he's kinda grown on me over time even tho I often disagree with his takes.
I prefer what he does to the shock jock types. It's OK to be wrong but be wrong with honesty.

These steps are all pretty logical if not at all happening --see jerry stepping down.
1 and 2 I'd do tomorrow if I owned the team.
3 and 4 are kinda space fillers which I guess help you get to 7... lol
5 is common sense. They thought LVE was the dude there and moved him to Mike then he couldn't stay healthy more than 5 minutes so they moved Jaylon back.
6 is important and he notes how hard it is to do with COVID.
7 is obvious but impossible.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
you Jaylon supporters are the same group of blind homers who supported Garrett for years and years with one excuse after another despite clear evidence that he was trash

I know all if you very well

:facepalm::facepalm:
You don't know much cause I was for firing Garrett years before he did

visionary

Reaction score
Jaylon is an old school SAM. He can man cover TEs or rush the passer. He can attack one gap in run stop game. He can deliver a serious blow to a ball carrier.
Problem is SAMs are mostly gone from the game.
So he has to play Mike or Will. Will gets matched up far too often with quicker players.
And Mike is a position almost wholly dependent on DT play.

What you absolutely can not so with Jaylon is ask him to cover WRs or ask him to engage blockers then read the play to make stops.

this is like defending a team that runs an offense from the 80s by saying, “there is nothing wrong with this offense except that everyone else has moved forward by 40 years “

there is a reason “old school SAMs are gone from the game” and we would like Jaylon to be gone

:facepalm::facepalm:

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
from memory so be skeptical.
1. sign dak today, dont wait on deadline to make deal
2. fire nolan and quick.
3. figure out your retirees -- lee, crawford
4. figure out your free agents --jourdan, chido, x
5. reduce ask of jaylon smith.
6. build team chemistry get out of 53brands mode.
7. jerry steps down as gm

To add on....

1. Dak...don't screw around...just do it.
2. Fire Nolan...you can't preach accountability and let them stay. Need to hurry to get a good one.
3. Aldon Smith, Sean Lee, Tyrone Crawford, Chido, Xavier, Jordan - they don't have a clue about the free agents. We aren't committed yet and the players don't know their value
4. Will McClay - not his best year. Why does he get a pass? He is the unifier in the building...can get everyone together. That is his biggest value. Three bad decisions this year...didnt get a safety. Particulary Earl Thomas. Poe over Snacks Harrison. Dragging Leary along.
5. Jaylon Smith - he cant do what they are asking him to do. Forget dancing and prancing and swiping and wiping...LOL. Say MM failed because he promised to fit scheme to players and he didn't do that. He should be a run stopping downhill player and a pass rusher.
6. Culture - thinks that they don't have a closeness or team chemistry. 53 guys going in 53 directions...some due to Covid.
7. Jerry needs to step down and get a GM. It is what John Elway just did and he has been the GM and President in Denver.

conner01

Reaction score
Fish is an old cantankerous cuss and well so am I so he's kinda grown on me over time even tho I often disagree with his takes.
I prefer what he does to the shock jock types. It's OK to be wrong but be wrong with honesty.

These steps are all pretty logical if not at all happening --see jerry stepping down.
1 and 2 I'd do tomorrow if I owned the team.
3 and 4 are kinda space fillers which I guess help you get to 7... lol
5 is common sense. They thought LVE was the dude there and moved him to Mike then he couldn't stay healthy more than 5 minutes so they moved Jaylon back.
6 is important and he notes how hard it is to do with COVID.
7 is obvious but impossible.
That’s why I’d love parsons but he’s gonna be gone
LVE is a better Mike but for health reasons he’s not an option
I’d love to find a stud mike but none worth top 10 who will be there
The odds of a 3-4 round mike being good is slim
I looked at different positions in different rounds
3rd rnd about 16% chance of getting a starter but by 4th it gets really bad 4%

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
To add on....

1. Dak...don't screw around...just do it.
2. Fire Nolan...you can't preach accountability and let them stay. Need to hurry to get a good one.
3. Aldon Smith, Sean Lee, Tyrone Crawford, Chido, Xavier, Jordan - they don't have a clue about the free agents. We aren't committed yet and the players don't know their value
4. Will McClay - not his best year. Why does he get a pass? He is the unifier in the building...can get everyone together. That is his biggest value. Three bad decisions this year...didnt get a safety. Particulary Earl Thomas. Poe over Snacks Harrison. Dragging Leary along.
5. Jaylon Smith - he cant do what they are asking him to do. Forget dancing and prancing and swiping and wiping...LOL. Say MM failed because he promised to fit scheme to players and he didn't do that. He should be a run stopping downhill player and a pass rusher.
6. Culture - thinks that they don't have a closeness or team chemistry. 53 guys going in 53 directions...some due to Covid.
7. Jerry needs to step down and get a GM. It is what John Elway just did and he has been the GM and President in Denver.

Fisher thinks Aldon Smith isn't as likely to be back as most others seem to. Honestly....the second half of the year he was pretty much a jag. He isnt worth big money. To a certain extent I agree with this...and I think the right moves can make this team a contender again.

I agree with firing Nolan....he kind of gets a raw deal because he had no time to install his defense properly, but this was a mismatch from day one. Our talent by far fits a 4-3 better than a 3-4.

Honestly, I think we can move on from most of our free agents without ever looking back. I would guess we sign either Chido or Lewis...Chido probably makes more sense because Lewis likely wants to get away from this staff that has never really been on board with him. Xavier Woods and Tyrone Crawford should never suit up as a Cowboy again. Lee probably shouldn't but the dude is one that will have to be dragged off the field.

McClay did not have a great year...McCoy likely would have been a good addition but the fact that he went after Poe instead of Harrison is surprising...especially considering how many times Snacks has dominated our OL. Earl Thomas should have been a no brainer...if he pulled knucklehead crap you just cut him. And Leary begged to come back, we pushed him off and then we went back to him he had already promised wife he was done.

I think Fisher is a Jaylon apologist. If he can't do the things a LB is supposed to do then he shouldn't be on the field and he shouldn't have been paid a top tier LB deal. Pretty simple. Fisher says he is a top notch run defender....I havent seen that. I don[t think he has a knack for pass rushing. All I see him do on rushing attempts is run into the lineman and get stuck.

I think the culture thing is really hard to build. Not sure of the answer there.

Would love to see Jerry kick back, but I have no thoughts that he would hire someone qualified.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Physically limited but running step for step with TEs, RBs and receivers while in coverage and chasing them down as well.

I get it, he has made some mistakes but you guys act like he can't make any plays and is trash. That's just false. I have seen you guys blaming Jaylon on plays that had nothing to do with him but it was the fault of Lee or Leighton or other players that you guys like.

he is trash. Watch the games.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That’s why I’d love parsons but he’s gonna be gone
LVE is a better Mike but for health reasons he’s not an option
I’d love to find a stud mike but none worth top 10 who will be there
The odds of a 3-4 round mike being good is slim
I looked at different positions in different rounds
3rd rnd about 16% chance of getting a starter but by 4th it gets really bad 4%
Parsons looks exactly like Jaylon in college IMO.
He's constantly flying off the edge at the ball and never plays backing up.
So many college teams put their best defender in this role and they just look great.

But the guy I'd like off the ball is the Tulsa kid. He's just insane. He can play multiple because he's a big dude with good speed and strength.
That guy may end up going late R1 though.

In fairness I also dislike some of the stuff I heard about Parsons off the field so I am not completely unbiased with him.

All that said I do not want to draft an off ball LB top 10 for any reason.
Urlacher and Singletary combined in one dude maybe but that's about it.

Prossman

Reaction score
My problem with Jaylon is this. Running around acting like you are a super bowl champion when you have accomplished NOTHING.I don't care about players self promotion, but do it when you have earned the right to do so. Right now that attitude is a cancer to earning/ putting in the work that will actually get you a ring.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
he is trash. Watch the games.
I do watch the games and he isn't trash. He is an average LB and the only one on the team that never gets hurt and is available every game to play.

You want to say over paid..... ok.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Physically limited but running step for step with TEs, RBs and receivers while in coverage and chasing them down as well.

I get it, he has made some mistakes but you guys act like he can't make any plays and is trash. That's just false. I have seen you guys blaming Jaylon on plays that had nothing to do with him but it was the fault of Lee or Leighton or other players that you guys like.
he has often been out of position, has limited ability to accelerate and change direction and most of his tackles are down the field, too far down the field....he has been a liability all season.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I’m not a Fish fan. In fact I actually blocked his stuff on Twitter because he’s a little more Skip mixed with Mickey Spags at times but I really enjoyed this. Agree with a lot of what he is saying even though some..like #7 won’t happen. As far as Jaylon, simplifying his role may cut down on his glaring weaknesses and mistakes but not sure that makes him a good LB or someone who makes the D better.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I’m not a Fish fan. In fact I actually blocked his stuff on Twitter because he’s a little more Skip mixed with Mickey Spags at times but I really enjoyed this. Agree with a lot of what he is saying even though some..like #7 won’t happen. As far as Jaylon, simplifying his role may cut down on his glaring weaknesses and mistakes but not sure that makes him a good LB or someone who makes the D better.

That's why I thought he was a waste of a draft pick and all those wasted 2nd round draft picks over the years have gutted our ability to consistently field a competitive team.

RS12

Reaction score
from memory so be skeptical.
1. sign dak today, dont wait on deadline to make deal
2. fire nolan and quick.
3. figure out your retirees -- lee, crawford
4. figure out your free agents --jourdan, chido, x
5. reduce ask of jaylon smith.
6. build team chemistry get out of 53brands mode.
7. jerry steps down as gm
Without #7 the first 6 don't matter.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
JSmith does not play behind his pads. He is not a 3 down LB. Does not have the physicality to plug a hole and gets out of position at the point of attack trying to allude blockers. He can straight line run, but does not get his head around to play the ball and loses ground fast with a little wiggle from his cover target.

I give him credit for getting himself back on the field and playing in the NFL. It took a lot of work and sacrifice. I don't consider him more than serviceable at LB.