ShaneFalco

Reaction score
from memory so be skeptical.
1. sign dak today, dont wait on deadline to make deal
2. fire nolan and quick.
3. figure out your retirees -- lee, crawford
4. figure out your free agents --jourdan, chido, x
5. reduce ask of jaylon smith.
6. build team chemistry get out of 53brands mode.
7. jerry steps down as gm

How much are the FA’s going to cost? Just ballpark it.
DAL currently has 27 MIL to spend and the cap isn’t going up and might even go down.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Physically limited but running step for step with TEs, RBs and receivers while in coverage and chasing them down as well.

Red herring.

Jaylon can run straight ahead. He could do that before he ever got back on the field. I think he's gotten slower there as well, but that's the least of his limitations.

Argue that he can cut well if you like.
Argue that he can anchor and drive against a blocker.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Only spot where he makes sense is at WILL with a DT that demands a double.

That's where he'd be most protected, but I still think he's too limited to be of much use there, and certainly overpriced in his current contract.

I'd wave goodbye. I'm just thankful he finished the season healthy, so his injury guarantee couldn't kick in for the next 2 years.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
from memory so be skeptical.
1. sign dak today, dont wait on deadline to make deal
2. fire nolan and quick.
3. figure out your retirees -- lee, crawford
4. figure out your free agents --jourdan, chido, x
5. reduce ask of jaylon smith.
6. build team chemistry get out of 53brands mode.
7. jerry steps down as gm

Thanks for the list. I am so glad I didn't waste time listening.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is the most lethargic looking player I have ever seen on a football field.

And whoever thinks he can rush the passer is wrong.

I want to see a piece of film all season where he touches a QB, forget about a sack.

cowboyec

Reaction score
cowboyec's 7:
☆get Dak back healthy
☆get Dak signed
☆get Tyron Smith back healthy
☆get La'el Collins back healthy
☆draft a honest to goodness s
☆draft a partner for cb Trevon Diggs
☆draft a DT

ipso-fatso...solved:thumbup:

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is the most lethargic looking player I have ever seen on a football field.

And whoever thinks he can rush the passer is wrong.

I want to see a piece of film all season where he touches a QB, forget about a sack.

Agree.

I always hear that he’s this great pass rusher, yet all I see is him running straight into a blocker and getting stonewalled.

garyv

Reaction score
"They're asking Jaylon to do too much. He's a downhill guy. A run stopper."

Trouble is, Jaylon can't take on blockers. Can't really drive into blockers or anchor against them. A limitation going straight ahead against the run or rushing against the pass.
He can't cut. That makes him a liability even in the run game and the passing game for coverage.

Jaylon is just a physically limited guy with no real effective role in the NFL. We're paying a lot for a guy who has a low physical ceiling, and that ceiling has *lowered* since 2018.

Unless they have some medical reason to believe that ceiling will rise, it's time to move on. Certainly we shouldn't be paying him the money we do just on a belief he might get healthier, let alone no reason to expect that.

I've been saying this:

Move Jaylon to MLB
Draft two OLB to rotate with LVE
Retire Lee

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I've been saying this:

Move Jaylon to MLB
Draft two OLB to rotate with LVE
Retire Lee

Retire Lee
Dispose of Jaylon
Draft LBs. Let them compete with LVE.

Though I admit that LVE is something of a mystery to me, as I can't explain his poor play this year. If they have an explanation for LVE's poor play that should be gone next year, they can be more conservative on bringing in LBs.

One of the annoyances of this year was all the snaps for Jaylon. I hope he's done here. So I see them as a waste. I would have rather played the young guys more. To see what we've got. Give them more development.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
In that case make him a member of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and open up his roster spot for someone who isn't such an idiot.
that is funny, imagine him in the outfit, and doing the swipe, he could teach that to the other girls, and they all do the swipe everytime someone does something
even remotely good.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Retire Lee
Dispose of Jaylon
Draft LBs. Let them compete with LVE.

Though I admit that LVE is something of a mystery to me, as I can't explain his poor play this year. If they have an explanation for LVE's poor play that should be gone next year, they can be more conservative on bringing in LBs.

One of the annoyances of this year was all the snaps for Jaylon. I hope he's done here. So I see them as a waste. I would have rather played the young guys more. To see what we've got. Give them more development.
wow you guys are out of luck, jerry thinks jaylon is best LB in nfl, and the CORNERSTONE of the dallas defense lol.
He will be robot legs here for many years, and probably get in ring of honor before Jimmy Johnson.

ondaedg

Reaction score
So much this.
Jaylon is not a "stud" LB. H's not Wagner or Warner. He was not good enough to stop this team from getting roflstomped.
But goofballs pretending they are elite scouts and have adjudged Jaylon not good enough to be an NFL starter are lying to themselves and the board.

Jaylon can rush the passer and he can run stride for stride with many backs and many TEs.
He's less effective in zone where he has to change direction quickly.

Versus the run he's fine when he has a gap and he hits.
When he has to read and react he's far, far worse. Early in the year there were some games where we were reading and reacting and we predictably got abused.

But all in all as you note people will post a cut up play of Jayton and pretend he was just gawd awful on said play when he was about average. He didn't make any play and he didn't shine but he did his basic job.

This is the problem with media folks who are better talkers/writers than they are football guys.
They just create false narratives then run with it.

Not sure who needs to hear this but hating Jaylon Smith isn't a personality trait. He's just an average LB that got overpaid.
How overpaid will depend on how he looks going forward with better defensive teammates.

Jaylon is the only mlb I’ve ever seen that skates backwards when blockers approach. And he sits six yds off the LOS and is late to read the run play which means guards are running up on him especially if our DEs are rushing to the outside. Or he’s read the wrong gap completely and gets washed out. I have no personal animosity against him but he is a liability against the run and screens. No idea how he can play mlb without the ability to stack and shed.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Physically limited but running step for step with TEs, RBs and receivers while in coverage and chasing them down as well.

I get it, he has made some mistakes but you guys act like he can't make any plays and is trash. That's just false. I have seen you guys blaming Jaylon on plays that had nothing to do with him but it was the fault of Lee or Leighton or other players that you guys like.

We know tackles aren't the best way to judge a player, but I'm pretty sure you can't be 2nd in the league in combined tackles, 7th in solo tackles and not be doing something right. It was a bad season for Jaylon, but we often act like he's the worst player in the NFL.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I agree with signing Dak ASAP....or at least making some kind of decision quickly. All this waiting is pointless. I hate to hear Jerry and Stephen say, "Deadlines make deals".

Waiting until the last minute for something you know you want is stupid. We should have had this deal done two years ago. Waiting only makes the price rise.

conner01

Reaction score
Parsons looks exactly like Jaylon in college IMO.
He's constantly flying off the edge at the ball and never plays backing up.
So many college teams put their best defender in this role and they just look great.

But the guy I'd like off the ball is the Tulsa kid. He's just insane. He can play multiple because he's a big dude with good speed and strength.
That guy may end up going late R1 though.

In fairness I also dislike some of the stuff I heard about Parsons off the field so I am not completely unbiased with him.

All that said I do not want to draft an off ball LB top 10 for any reason.
Urlacher and Singletary combined in one dude maybe but that's about it.
Collins is a good prospect
But there is a reason parsons will be gone when we pick
I’d love Collins but to me you stick to your board and while I think parsons will be gone I don’t see Collins ahead of a CB at 10 but I like Collins

Creeper

Reaction score

I don't know much about this guy but he sounds like one of us. His 7 steps are fine I guess although I am not sure what he is suggesting about Will McClay. McClay did a fine job in the draft. free agency was a disaster. But the Jones philosophy in free agency and not having Dak signed had to play a big role in why free agency was a disaster. I have no idea why they didn't sign Snack Harrison and instead chose two DTs from a team that could not stop the run the previous year. None of those guys are the solution. DT is a position they need to focus on in the draft and so is Safety. signing players way past their prime who used to be good is not the answer but the price is right. Which reminds me, McClay is a player evaluator. The guy who manages the CAP is Stephen Jones, isn't it? He is the guy who deserves most of the blame. Who decided to pay Zeke? Who decided to pay Jaylon, Cooper, Lawrence? Those contracts killing the Cowboys are not McClays fault I don't think.

But 2 things I am certain of, Jerry is not stepping down as GM and because of that the culture is not going to change. The Cowboys need a genius coach who can deal with those two issues and still win.

Sign Dak. Okay. Does Dak want to sign? I hear what he says but we are in year two of possible franchise tag. So does he really want to sign or is he just treading water until the Cowboys let him go the free agent route to the biggest contract he can get. Sign Dak. How much? How many years? What does it do to the CAP and the roster? Dak was pretty good in the games he played this year, but they still lost because they need players on defense. Signing Dak and crippling the rest of the team does not get the Cowboys anywhere. Sign Dak to a reasonable deal or let him go. If culture is the problem then stop making it about 1 guy.

Figure out the retirees? Crawford is a free agent at a position where the Cowboys are really weak. They have to upgrade there and I don't see how Crawford helps them.

And then there is Jaylon Smith. He is limited. They are asking him to do too much. He is playing out of position. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. All of these are reasons to move on from Jaylon, not to keep him. Maybe they can't do it this year but they need a plan to improve at LB just like they need a plan to improve at DT and Safety. The failure to upgrade these positions has snowballed and has the potential to snowball again. First it was DT, then DT and Safety. Then ST safety and LB. Next year it will be DT, S, LB and CB unless they start filling holes.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

I get it, he has made some mistakes but you guys act like he can't make any plays and is trash. That's just false. I have seen you guys blaming Jaylon on plays that had nothing to do with him but it was the fault of Lee or Leighton or other players that you guys like.
Saying he's good in straight lines means he's trash.

The guy has no eyes and no feel for what an offense is doing. Regardless of what Lee or LVE is doing, Jaylon is terrible.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jaylon is just an average LB, he's not the complete bum that some say, and he's certainly not the stud that he thinks he is. If you have to "limit" a guys role in the NFL, you get Roy Williams, a guy that teams plan to exploit, and abuse, can't do that. I agree that a better front will help him. I think they have much bigger issues at DT, CB, FS, LT, LG, maybe even RT than Jaylon.. Start with a new DC, immediately.