Video: Fish: Cowboys and Falcons have talked about a trade up. Fish says it is not true aka clickbait

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I doubt even Jerry is stupid enough to trade up, but if he does, I am going to laugh my butt off and relish those preseason games we won last year.

FLWarpigrpig

Reaction score
No FO person will verify anything. Their jobs are like being in the CIA or Mob this time of year.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yep. And I can think of a lot worse things than having Diggs and Surtain locked up on rookie deals for the next 4 years.

Yes, doesn't everybody want to have every aspect of the team locked in? Defensive backs,, defensive line, quarterbacks, wide receivers, etc?

While it can be debated forever as to whether defense or offense is more important, or is defensive line more important than the secondary, etc. the fact remains it's rare to have a team locked in at every phase of the game. The early 90's Cowboys came about as close as anybody but they didn't have everything.

I'd be glad if the Cowboys can get half the aspects in great shape...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
In this defense he would've been a pass rushing DE and I've seen nothing to suggest he couldn't play it here. The Cowboys lack the foresight to see things like Watt as a edge rusher here. They probably never looked at Darius Leonard because he was "too small" for their defense. This is a issue. We should not give these guys excuses for their failures in instances like this.

At 252 pounds Watt was also a bit small for full time DE, he probably could have added weight but that might have slowed him some. And they expected Jaylon to be ready to go in 2017, as a linebacker, so I believe they felt they didn't need to draft an olb.

And like I said "Not saying I wouldn't have taken Watt if I was in charge"....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Get over the old NFL & the way defense used to be played.

I'm all for taking a defender don't get me wrong but they will most likely be a non factor on defense unless they are a guy who rushes the QB.

The NFL isn't built for you to play quality defense. The rules are against it.

You just hold on and do the best you can. That's the goal.

If we could add a Bosa/Young/Garrett type of prospect then i'd be all for it but you guys hated Byron Jones and we would be lucky to get that kind of player again with our pick.

Would you rather have Travis Kelce or Byron Jones?

First of all I don't deal in 20/20 hindsight, that's always correct. The Kelce or Jones comparison is just that.

And as far as not taking Surtain or such, apparently you are very confident Lewis, et al are all above average defensive defensive backs and you'd be happy with them, or them and adding a later round cornerback or safety for the secondary.

But I'm not. To me Surtain and Diggs can be the anchors of the secondary, Lewis and others are supporting players. Very good corners aren't that plentiful, getting somebody who just rushes the quarterback is a somewhat easier...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
First of all I don't deal in 20/20 hindsight, that's always correct. The Kelce or Jones comparison is just that.

And as far as not taking Surtain or such, apparently you are very confident Lewis, et al are all above average defensive defensive backs and you'd be happy with them, or them and adding a later round cornerback or safety for the secondary.

But I'm not. To me Surtain and Diggs can be the anchors of the secondary, Lewis and others are supporting players. Very good corners aren't that plentiful, getting somebody who just rushes the quarterback is a somewhat easier...

If we play as much Zone as I anticipate then spending a lot of resources on corners isn’t all that necessary.

We can find a guy to sit in cover 3 all game for much cheaper.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If we play as much Zone as I anticipate then spending a lot of resources on corners isn’t all that necessary.

But they aren't going to play zone every snap, teams will very shortly figure out if your "cover 3 all game" corner can't handle a good receiver. If he can't, teams will burn your late round cornerback all day. I just don't like our secondary that much, Diggs did pretty well and shows potential, but he did miss 4 games, that's a small concern as well. I just think improving the secondary, on this team, in this draft, is the best choice.

Now if we had the Aaron Jones-type DT, both a good run and pass defense player, he'd be the way to go.

But there isn't one of those in the draft, imho...

phildadon86

Reaction score

What is it with you and "cheaper" Jesus I would hate for you to be picking out a birthday gift for anyone lol.

starfan1

Reaction score
exclusive exclusive ive gotten to where there isnt a damn thing that comes out of this guys mouth is believable nothing but clickbait. not sure being an insider is anymore knowledgeable than me reading posted articles in the zone

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You might but right about his overall grade, but I think his run blocking actually ranked really high among rookie centers. I hope another off season, one that's more normal, will help him grow even more in his second season.
Yeah he did grade out well in one aspect I can't remember if it was run or pass blocking but he had a great grade at one...very good sign.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
At 252 pounds Watt was also a bit small for full time DE, he probably could have added weight but that might have slowed him some. And they expected Jaylon to be ready to go in 2017, as a linebacker, so I believe they felt they didn't need to draft an olb.

And like I said "Not saying I wouldn't have taken Watt if I was in charge"....
Yeah but Randy Gregory was like 240 pounds when they drafted him to be a edge rusher. Let's just be honest on what the Cowboys did. They fell in love with Taco because he "looked" the part. He looked like the "war daddy" they had in mind when they drafted him. And Taco had potential. No doubt about it. At the time it wasn't a mistake to draft him. You needed a DE and you felt like you could get corners later on in the draft which they did in Chido and Lewis. But the mistake they made was not drafting him but thinking he was a better player than TJ Watt and he wasn't no matter what position he played.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Yes, doesn't everybody want to have every aspect of the team locked in? Defensive backs,, defensive line, quarterbacks, wide receivers, etc?

While it can be debated forever as to whether defense or offense is more important, or is defensive line more important than the secondary, etc. the fact remains it's rare to have a team locked in at every phase of the game. The early 90's Cowboys came about as close as anybody but they didn't have everything.

I'd be glad if the Cowboys can get half the aspects in great shape...

Not to say they "locked in" , but the SB champ TB Bucs did the closest thing to locking in and that was resigning every one of their 22 starters from last year. That is very unusual for any team to do that, much less a SB champ for that matter. So they are the team to beat in the NFC for sure.

KB1122

Reaction score
If Jones wanted Pitts, or anyone else, he shouldn't have signed Andy Dalton. Then we wouldn't need a trade.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yeah but Randy Gregory was like 240 pounds when they drafted him to be a edge rusher. Let's just be honest on what the Cowboys did. They fell in love with Taco because he "looked" the part. He looked like the "war daddy" they had in mind when they drafted him. And Taco had potential. No doubt about it. At the time it wasn't a mistake to draft him. You needed a DE and you felt like you could get corners later on in the draft which they did in Chido and Lewis. But the mistake they made was not drafting him but thinking he was a better player than TJ Watt and he wasn't no matter what position he played.

True, but Taco was ranked as a first round pick by most, so taking Watt instead at the time you would be taking only a somewhat better player. As his NFL profile said about Taco -

"His floor is solid starter." Not like he had a long way to go to be a top NFL defensive end. Personally I didn't like the pick due to his inconsistency in college, the Cowboys were that year like this year (and most years if truth be told), they didn't have the luxury of waiting for a player to develop fully, he needed to be "ready to go right out of the box".

Now you can argue Watt was, but there's room for discussion there...

Beaker42

Reaction score
NOT arguing with ya roc but it WAS a HUGE mistake drafting Taco. He had a ?? motor his entire career at scUM. That was NEVER an issue with the Watts boys. Watt should’ve been the pick.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
exclusive exclusive ive gotten to where there isnt a damn thing that comes out of this guys mouth is believable nothing but clickbait. not sure being an insider is anymore knowledgeable than me reading posted articles in the zone
Exactly. He’s a blow hard

Beaker42

Reaction score
Exactly. He’s a blow hard
I’m telling y’all right now that we trade up ...... been a while since Jerry made a major move in draft and he’s feeling the weight of failure the last 26 years. Do NOT be surprised if you hear the Falcons have traded the #4 pick to us.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
NOT arguing with ya roc but it WAS a HUGE mistake drafting Taco. He had a ?? motor his entire career at scUM. That was NEVER an issue with the Watts boys. Watt should’ve been the pick.
I think in hindsight it was for sure a mistake. At the time? Had no issue with it. But I won't argue with you about it. You are right about everything....Taco's motor was questionable and TJ's wasn't.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I think in hindsight it was for sure a mistake. At the time? Had no issue with it. But I won't argue with you about it. You are right about everything....Taco's motor was questionable and TJ's wasn't.
ANOTHER Rod M FUBAR job. Hate that dude.

Appreciate you and your insights Dawg.