News: Fish: Dak & Deshaun - A Cowboys lesson to be learned

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There actually isn't. When you're as bad as they are you get fired. You don't still have your job a quarter of a century later.

No team in the sports world has a worse front office situation than the Dallas Cowboys.
Is there any team that would have hired either father or son in the FO? They're both working for the only person that would hire or retain them.

Half the threads here are "how to cure the patient" threads and fail to consider the doctor is an incompetent charlatan. He just happens to own the clinic.

Unfortunately for us, we can't fix the cause so all we get to do is complain about the symptoms. And we are not the first fandom to have to do that. The Raiders became Crazy Al's Emporium and the "Bungles" are the bungles for good reason. Poor Andy Dalton, doesn't know what its' like playing for a competent owner. From one frying pan into another.

blueblood70

Reaction score
if you were the owner, you wouldn't have offered to let him be involved and get his input on the GM and HC in the first place. That's where mcnair messed up. don't offer something and then not follow through.
not a legally binding offer.

sorry go have good cry wipe the tears away and get back to work..that my advice to DW..he little bi.... well you know..H

tired of the primadonna players these day s and thats how id handle it, shut this down before it turns into the NBA..

no messing up like many of us we all have the right to change our minds if its not legal binding it was just a thought you said out loud.

tired of talking about DWQ has zero to do with the DC at the moment..

HanD

Reaction score

sorry go have good cry wipe the tears away and get back to work..that my advice to DW..he little bi.... well you know..H

tired of the primadonna players these day s and thats how id handle it, shut this down before it turns into the NBA..

no messing up like many of us we all have the right to change our minds if its not legal binding it was just a thought you said out loud.

we're not talking about legal binding offers. we're talking about how you treat people and why they feel a certain way. it's relationships. you don't tell anyone you want their input and then make a decision before getting that input without damaging a relationship.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if you were the owner, you wouldn't have offered to let him be involved and get his input on the GM and HC in the first place. That's where mcnair messed up. don't offer something and then not follow through.
And that seems to be the crux of this problem. That was promised to Watson and not only didn't they consult with him, they didn't even tell him the GM had been hired, he saw that on TV.

I think they had to tell him that when they were negotiating his new contract. This is a team that gave the GM duties to the HC just like PHL did with Kelly, creating two problems. Now the HC works for himself.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we're not talking about legal binding offers. we're talking about how you treat people and why they feel a certain way. it's relationships. you don't tell anyone you want their input and then make a decision before getting that input without damaging a relationship.
And that's the entire point of this. It's not like they had a good relationship to build on. This was fragile because of the O'Brien/Hopkins situation and they just made it worse.

That team had 3 fan favorites. They traded one, another wants a trade and the 3rd called the team out publicly and it's unknown what he wants.

Watson and Watt stepped up to the front after that devastating hurricane and flood and the fans embraced them even more. The owner is risking a real disaster with that team.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Im sorry he has contract..not discussing it further he can shut up and play or give all the money back from bonus' present and future,, then we can talk trade..if not hes being fined until he comes to all mandatory functions set forth by the Texans..that it..final decision!

Texans would be stupid to do otherwise,

again truly bad precedents.dont do it wont do it..time to set a new standard..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Then stop talking about it. You aren't the only one tired of you talking about it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Then stop talking about it. You aren't the only one tired of you talking about it.
sorry coach im also tired of you defending it.. this isnt FF madden he has contract got guaranteed bonus money now and in the future and will sit or play or pay it all back to be traded..

that it might want to set precedent as mod and move a thread that not even close to DC zone material and be head of the debate in said thread..

go ahead yield your power but you know im right..this is NFL new not DC news..

HanD

Reaction score
Im sorry he has contract..not discussing it further he can shut up and play or give all the money back from bonus' present and future,, then we can talk trade..if not hes being fined until he comes to all mandatory functions set forth by the Texans..that it..final decision!

Texans would be stupid to do otherwise,

again truly bad precedents.dont do it wont do it..time to set a new standard..
i really hope you aren't in management because you have a terrible grasp on relationships. you keep pointing to precedent. he did it to himself! why even bring up getting his input?

it's like purposefully walking a child unsolicited to a candy or toy store and being mad they want to buy something. or asking a spouse what vacation they want to go on and then booking something before they even responded.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I'd simply quote Bob Sturm here:

And that’s frankly stupid, because there has not been a single quarterback that I can find since 2018 – which was before Prescott was eligible to sign an extension – that has signed a five-year deal. In all of 2019 and all of 2020 and now in all of 2021, there’s not a single QB1 that has signed a five-year deal. They’ve all been four and they’ve all been four for the same reason (aside from Mahomes, who signed a unique 10-year deal). So if you want to incentivize Dak Prescott to sign for that fifth year, then you’re going to have to make it worth his while, because just giving him typical, normal numbers and then saying, “Hey, we want you to sign for a year longer than everybody else. Why? Because we said so,” that’s not going to cut it. That’s why I think they have themselves solely to blame. I do sense that every time I bring this up, that people quickly want to say, “What about Dak’s camp? Why don’t they share in some of the blame?” And it’s a weird dynamic, I’ll admit, because the Cowboys seem to be the ones who are always leaking information. And to the best of my knowledge, Todd France and Dak Prescott have remained almost completely silent through all of this. So we’re at the mercy of the Cowboys’ loose lips setting the narrative for how this has all played out.

I enjoy Sturm and he knows football but his word is not gospel and he’s been wrong plenty of times. A lot lately. Sorry but if your QB is giving the same lip service as the front office...”Dak needs to be here his whole career” then that year should not make a difference when you are getting $110 guaranteed and your $35 mil a year. You can build in options etc. France knew with Corona etc that the cap may go down. I think Jerry and Stephen can be buffoons a lot but on this case they gave him a fair offer.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I enjoy Sturm and he knows football but his word is not gospel and he’s been wrong plenty of times. A lot lately. Sorry but if your QB is giving the same lip service as the front office...”Dak needs to be here his whole career” then that year should not make a difference when you are getting $110 guaranteed and your $35 mil a year. You can build in options etc. France knew with Corona etc that the cap may go down. I think Jerry and Stephen can be buffoons a lot but on this case they gave him a fair offer.
You are allowed to think what you want but that just means you are allowed to be very wrong.
This isn't really complicated.

The Cowboys had zero leverage yet offered the going rate at 4 years but with an extra year of control attached with zero uptick in price.
As Joel Corry already explained he'd make Dallas pay 45M for that 5th year.
So the math just isn't there and thus not only was the deal not "fair" it was the Cowboys who were going to lose when Dak's agent ignored them as non-serious.
Dak's agent had ZERO reason to do the deal so Dallas has had to give them an offer he couldn't refuse.
Instead they misread the room badly and never even got to full franchise QB market value.

The obvious situation is now they are more desperate with even less leverage. --something Jerry himself has admitted.

It is impossible to defend the team's mgmt here because they have handled these massive deals so poorly.
DLaw had to delay surgery which effected his and the team's performance.
Zeke had to go to Cabo. --see above.
Amari had to go interview in Washington with a rival.

It's not smart to keep pretending dudes are supposed to bow to you when you are 1 of 32 and have won 4 playoff games since 1995.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
You are allowed to think what you want but that just means you are allowed to be very wrong.
This isn't really complicated.

The Cowboys had zero leverage yet offered the going rate at 4 years but with an extra year of control attached with zero uptick in price.
As Joel Corry already explained he'd make Dallas pay 45M for that 5th year.
So the math just isn't there and thus not only was the deal not "fair" it was the Cowboys who were going to lose when Dak's agent ignored them as non-serious.
Dak's agent had ZERO reason to do the deal so Dallas has had to give them an offer he couldn't refuse.
Instead they misread the room badly and never even got to full franchise QB market value.

The obvious situation is now they are more desperate with even less leverage. --something Jerry himself has admitted.

It is impossible to defend the team's mgmt here because they have handled these massive deals so poorly.
DLaw had to delay surgery which effected his and the team's performance.
Zeke had to go to Cabo. --see above.
Amari had to go interview in Washington with a rival.

It's not smart to keep pretending dudes are supposed to bow to you when you are 1 of 32 and have won 4 playoff games since 1995.

I’m wrong on what reasons? Some bs about rules on 4 yrs that doesnt exist. Your last paragraph says it all. Dak has been a part of the playoff and late game futilities. Just like the Jones family. So the FO is supposed to bow to a Top 10 guy and pay him like the #1 QB in the league when he’s won nothing? How does that make sense. He’s the one holding people hostage for a worth that is beyond his place. Again I want Dak here. He’s our best bet in my book and has intangibles I like. He just doesn’t get to act like he’s the best QB though.

You are going off these antiquated ideas that each team has to stay in their lane and do the same thing. That’s not a rule. It comes down to guaranteed money. They can negotiate that 5 yr. Dak says he wants to be a Cowboy for life. Put your money where your mouth is. He doesn’t deserve the price without winning in the playoffs..something he won’t do gobbling all the cap. He was guaranteed the richest contract at the time. It’s that simple. Both sides lose. I get what you are getting at and am not debating to say “I’m right.” Contract negotiations are not set in stone though and are fluid so I’m not going to just jump on Daks train because I like him

Last edited:

Qcard

Reaction score
sorry contracts are contracts and that a ton of bonus money he stole now wants out. Owners have to make stand..that it ..players while are the talent are not the money men they arent the producers and directors, they need the NFL as much as the NFL needs them and contracts have to be honored especially one that was signed 12months prior..hers option 2 DW pay back all the bonus money as part fo the trade, that mean you pay the Texans 60mil over 3 years out of your own pocket then ill conder tradign you..meh..try me!!

reality's

a legal binding document and your signature says s t *** and play..all players cant be in perfect situations.. ride it out or dont sign the new deal b go into FA the way you also agreed to an NFL Players when you entered and also signed that doc and your players union agreed too..

get over it stop crying and acting like you are in colleges and want to transfer,,,uh uh!!no phreaking way..

he had options go the way dak and cousins did and just ride ot the system until you can leave, he took the money signed the deal..too late!
Newflash.....NFL Owners Habitually DO NOT honor contracts.........they cut players for reasons beyond not ability to play yet, I don't see @blueblood70 tribe calling NFL Owners pejoratives and insults.

Double Standard..........Why?

cowboyec

Reaction score
i'd be surprised if a deal doesn't get done.
it appears Dak has a better relationship with his f/o than deshaun had in houston.

HanD

Reaction score
https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/1...-3-texans-executive-jack-easterby-is-unhinged

After the Houston Texans announced the hiring of Ravens 65-year-old position coach David Culley and the football world reacted with collective shock I took to Twitter to talk about what I heard earlier in the day:

So what is it, exactly, that I heard?

Weird things go viral on Twitter all the time so I didn’t want to go too far into the specifics over there, but since you good people are here reading this article I’ll fill in some details as my article probably isn’t in any danger of “going viral”.

As I said, Easterby is alleged to have sent texts like an abusive lover to this agent’s client but after he got no response (from an alpha-male- professional athlete- millionaire in his 20’s) Easterby took the time out of his day to then text the player's mother to let her know how concerned he was with the player's life choices. Seriously.

As long as Jack Easterby is the one influencing ownership in Houston, the Texans are likely to struggle. The rest of the AFC South probably doesn’t need to spend too much time worrying about their yearly trip to Texas.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was avoiding watching this because most of the stuff posted in vids like this is really lame. However, this guys is good.

I notice some of the comments point toward people not having watched the vid. In this case, your comment will really sound silly if you don't watch the vid first.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah there were idiotic statements like these made about Warren Moon and several others throughout the years. This narrative is just weak on all levels quite frankly it's a bit dated don't you think. There is no justification you have to say Watson is not a QB especially with the level he's played at consistently dating back to his days in high school. He's won and won big at ever single level he's played at and is still young in this NFL. It appears you have a very different agenda when you formulate such a backwards statement but feel free to continue on your misguided path there bro.
Offhand, I'd say his post was better ignored.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I half expected Fish to swig a Natty Light out of a paper bag.

I ended up watching the video, but all I could think was, "Is Fish been kicked out of his home, and now been resorting to using his vehicle as his office?"

The other thing I couldn't take my gaze off was his single nose hair sticking out like a beacon. Content aside, this dude was not ready for camera this day.