Twitter: Fish: Dak wants $45m in 5th year

HungryLion

Reaction score
Dak has no incentive to sign an extension before that 5th year kicks in. Because in that fifth year, he's going to bank $45MM in cash AND THEN hit FA and sign another big deal with a big signing bonus (if he plays well). And Dallas knows this. So if Dallas were to agree to this, they'd likely be looking at handing him like $110MM in cash over a 13-14 month period ($45MM base salary in 2024 and then at least a $65MM signing bonus if they extend him in 2025).

And the cap hit in 2024 wouldn't be $45MM. It would be likely be higher to take into account the signing bonus he wants now and any restructure the Cowboys would do over the contract.

Im not denying any of that Sydla. Nowhere in my post did I deny any of that. So idk why you say I’m missing the point. I’m saying even if a deal like that was signed (it won’t be). He would never see that money anyway because the team would have to cut him or restructure.

I never said the cowboys would be willing to sign such a deal, because obviously they won’t. And we don’t even know how accurate this report even is.

also, the report just says 45 million for the 5th year. Not a 45 million base salary. So the 45 million for year 5 would include any prorated signing bonus. It would still also include a substantial non guaranteed base salary, that would be non guaranteed and the team wouldn’t have to pay if they don’t want to.

Russell Wilson’s cap hit for the final year of his deal is 39 million in 2023.

Is 45 million in 2025 really that crazy of a number??? We are talking about 6 million more, 2 years later when the salary cap will be at least 40 million higher (based on current trends)

Last edited:

Qcard

Reaction score
A month or two ago, the deal was 38/40 on the 5th year, depending on who you believe. Now it's 45, what has changed between then and now?
I told you during the season the price could keep going up!!

$45M is going to peanuts once FANG (Facebook, Apple, Netflixs & Google) social media etc put their bid on the table once traditional TV contracts expire in coming years.

$45M is the 5th year premium...

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
$45MM base salary won't be ridiculous?

The highest "base salary" in the league is only $24MM (not including Dak's tag amount). That's it. So no, I don't think any QB will be making $45MM in base salary (or some combination of base salary and a roster bonus) in 5 years. The only way someone is getting $45MM in cash in their hand in 2024 would be if they signed a brand new deal and got a big signing bonus.

What would be the difference between $45 mil base salary & $19 mil base + $18 mil bonus like Wilson's last year? Even though Wilson is broken up between base & bonus, it's still $37 mil against the cap.

Sandyf

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So amazing that we try to figure the money. Did anyone see that Watson agent is starting at 45 million a year? And Mahomes is most likely average 45 million a year.

If Dak signs for 5 years and the 5th year is 45 million, it does mean he will actual get it. From the various media outlets, the guarantee money is around 115 million and for grins say the bonus is 80 million which would be spread over 5 years ie 16 million a year, then guaranteed salary in year one of 5 million, 2and year of 10 million, 3rd year of 20 million, then 4th year of 14 million of guarantee of 20 million salary so fifth year becomes the prorated bonus or 16 million and 45 million of non guaranteed salary. So if Dak has proven himself then you walk away with only a 16 million cap while saving 45 million.

Now if Dak balls out, then the next contract will easily top 300 million based on expected rise in cap.

What doesn't matter is what fans or media think as it is all about Jerry and Dak.

Swagger

Reaction score
The only thing I blame the Joneses for is not trying to get a deal a lot sooner. They’ve sat around allowing other QBs to re-sign driving up the market. The market is just going to be driven up even higher once Mahomes and Watson sign. If the reports are accurate Dak is asking for an unreasonable amount of money.

But haven't the Joneses been trying to get a deal done with him since last February?

For those that say $45 million a year will just be an average QB salary in 2024...you do not know that. This covid-19 mess has already hit the economy and if next season is played behind closed doors then that will hurt every franchise. Further, there will come a time where enough is enough in terms of how much money quarterbacks actually earn and the market will reflect that.

If the report is accurate then expect Prescott to play on the tag next season. Homer Simpson would look great as a QB in this offense so Prescott will have impressive looking numbers regardless. So it's probably worth the risk from his point of view whilst he hopes that the impact of covid-19 doesn't hinder future contract negotiations.

Reactions: CWR

fivetwos

Reaction score
Im not denying any of that Sydla. Nowhere in my post did I deny any of that. So idk why you say I’m missing the point. I’m saying even if a deal like that was signed (it won’t be). He would never see that money anyway because the team would have to cut him or restructure.

I never said the cowboys would be willing to sign such a deal, because obviously they won’t. And we don’t even know how accurate this report even is.

also, the report just says 45 million for the 5th year. Not a 45 million base salary. So the 45 million for year 5 would include any prorated signing bonus. It would still also include a substantial non guaranteed base salary, that would be non guaranteed and the team wouldn’t have to pay if they don’t want to.

Russell Wilson’s cap hit for the final year of his deal is 39 million in 2023.

Is 45 million in 2025 really that crazy of a number??? We are talking about 6 million more, 2 years later when the salary cap will be at least 40 million higher (based on current trends)
OR....you have four years to replace him.

That would be the financially prudent move at that point regardless.

fivetwos

Reaction score
At the point where FORTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS a year for a QB is considered fine, the rookie QBs value is going to be off the charts.

EVERY team, not just Dallas, needs to, and WILL plan to replace their QBs every few years, and the vet salaries will DROP.

At any rate, the salary can be whatever in the 5th year of a 5 year deal. Theres no accelerated hit, and then player will never see that money.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
But haven't the Joneses been trying to get a deal done with him since last February?

For those that say $45 million a year will just be an average QB salary in 2024...you do not know that. This covid-19 mess has already hit the economy and if next season is played behind closed doors then that will hurt every franchise. Further, there will come a time where enough is enough in terms of how much money quarterbacks actually earn and the market will reflect that.

If the report is accurate then expect Prescott to play on the tag next season. Homer Simpson would look great as a QB in this offense so Prescott will have impressive looking numbers regardless. So it's probably worth the risk from his point of view whilst he hopes that the impact of covid-19 doesn't hinder future contract negotiations.

The Joneses have been trying to get a deal done but apparently his demands are too high. They’re sold on him but not for the amount of money he’s looking for. Coming off an 8-8 season hasn’t made it any easier on the Joneses to want to meet his demands. The thought that any QB would look great in this offense is BS. I don’t care how strong you are at the skill positions the QB matters a lot. The read option and Dak’s ability to take off and run, along with his toughness and durability has made the Cowboys offense difficult to defend. If the defense isn’t any better more of a premium is put on having a really good QB. Let’s say worse comes to worse and we don’t have a season this year and Dak doesn’t have a new contract, he’ll lose the money on the franchise tag.

We have to have a season for him to get paid on the franchise tag. He’ll be taking a huge gamble not agreeing to a new contract before July 15. If we have a season and he doesn’t play well or we miss the playoffs again for a second straight season, the Joneses could end up moving on. I have a feeling Dak and his agents are likely going to blink before July 15 and get something done. If not he’ll be making a huge mistake in my opinion.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Give him the 4 year deal. You can always tag him again after that, and it won’t be the huge one of a second consecutive tag. It will be a fair price based on the market if he is worth it.

HungryLion

Reaction score
OR....you have four years to replace him.

That would be the financially prudent move at that point regardless.

Correct. You would have 4 more years of knowledge about how he is playing.

If he is not playing well. You cut him and move in.

If he was playing at a top 5 level in the league..... 45 mil won’t be an unrealistic cap hit in 2025 for a top 5 QB. Or you extend him because he is playing at a top 5 level and is only 32 years old at that point.

J-man

Reaction score
Not surprised at all this isn't done yet.
I don't blame him one bit for wanting just a 4 yr deal in this environment of a new CBA and new TV deals fast approaching.
I also think it's super smart for Jerry and co. to try to get a 5th yr while they can.

They both know sooner or later this is happening one way or the other. It's just a matter of who blinks first. I bet It's Jerry, I think Dak is betting that too.

ksg811

Reaction score
Give him the 4 year deal. You can always tag him again after that, and it won’t be the huge one of a second consecutive tag. It will be a fair price based on the market if he is worth it.

Tagging him after a 4 year deal would be 120% of his prior year salary (assuming it’s greater than the actual tag value). The tag count is player and team, not cyclical and the count itself is only for the third tag at 144%. The tag itself is the greater of tender value or 120% of the player’s prior year salary.

zeke21

Reaction score
I still believe the best option is to pay the tag, and pay it again next year if you have to, let him and Dalton compete at the position. Have a chance to evaluate Dak's play with the new offence and scheme.

IF he finds a way to beat good teams and have success when it actually matters.. then pay him.
IF he continues to rack up junk time stats, or loses his position to Dalton, then you recruit for the future and have saved 130M

I just don't see the point of throwing these numbers at a guy that NO ONE believes is a top 3 level QB. Even his biggest supporters have him hte 5-10 range. So then his contract should reflect that.

Sydla

Reaction score
What would be the difference between $45 mil base salary & $19 mil base + $18 mil bonus like Wilson's last year? Even though Wilson is broken up between base & bonus, it's still $37 mil against the cap.

He’s not getting an 18MM bonus. 13MM of that is the prorated signing bonus. The only cash he’s getting is the base salary and a roster bonus of 5MM.

Now if Dak signs a deal with a signing bonus like Wilson’s (60MM spread over 5 years), Dak’s cap hit in Year 5 would be the 45MM base salary (or combo of salary and roster bonus) PLUS the prorated portion of his signing bonus which is 13MM. So his cap hit in Year five would be 58 million which is significantly higher than the 37MM you cite for Wilson.

CWR

Reaction score
The article covers this pretty well. Dak would prefer a 4-year deal. If they want a fifth year, he's asking for a contract $10 million higher than what they've offered ($185 vs. $175).

Sounds like
Cowboys offer: 5 years, $175, $105 guaranteed

Dak's offers:
4 years, $140 OR
5 years, $185

I don't know what the guarantees he's asking for are.

So for 5 he wants to be paid 37 million per year? I get what hes doing with Goff and Wentz being eligible a year sooner. If Dak wanted that deal maybe he should have been a better college player and prospect.

CWR

Reaction score
I dont see how we get any relief signing him long term as opposed to franchising him. We are still looking between 35-37 million per year. So what we push some of it back towards the end when the cap is theoretically higher, but paying 48 million in year 4 isn't desirable either.