Twitter: Fish: Dak wants $45m in 5th year

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The article covers this pretty well. Dak would prefer a 4-year deal. If they want a fifth year, he's asking for a contract $10 million higher than what they've offered ($185 vs. $175). So they're negotiating over the 5th year and $2 million per year.

Willing to bet that most people that will react to this, won't bother to read the article. All it is, is a negotiating ploy because Dak's camp does not want to sign for 5 years. The time to sign him to a 5 year deal, was before last season. Give him more than his 2019 salary of 2 million and you can probably get away with paying him less than the $35 million APY that he's going to end up getting.

And now, Dallas is trying to make up for this folly, by locking him in at $35 in year 5, and there's no way Dak is going to go for that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A month or two ago, the deal was 38/40 on the 5th year, depending on who you believe. Now it's 45, what has changed between then and now?
Unless I'm misunderstanding what's being said here the Cowboys were the one who wanted the 5th year. Dak wanted 4 years. I don't recall Dak's camp ever wanting a 5 year deal unless I missed that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's perfectly fine. That 5th year would be all non-guaranteed funny money. He'll be either extended or cut when his guarantees run out well before that 5th year anyway.

That's not what the article said and even if it did, It's not perfectly fine, depending on the actual structure of the deal.

John813

Reaction score
Unless I read it wrong, they want the cap hit to be 45 mil in the 5th year.

asking for somewhere like north of $45 million in that fifth year'

Which doesn't mean much. In 2021 Big Ben and Matt Ryan have cap hits exceeding 40mil

2022 Kirk Cousins cap hit is 45mil

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Willing to bet that most people that will react to this, won't bother to read the article. All it is, is a negotiating ploy because Dak's camp does not want to sign for 5 years. The time to sign him to a 5 year deal, was before last season. Give him more than his 2019 salary of 2 million and you can probably get away with paying him less than the $35 million APY that he's going to end up getting.

And now, Dallas is trying to make up for this folly, by locking him in at $35 in year 5, and there's no way Dak is going to go for that.
Of course. I'm waiting to see what type of comments come. You can easily tell who didn't read the article. You can't read these articles from a Twitter post.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Unless I'm misunderstanding what's being said here the Cowboys were the one who wanted the 5th year. Dak wanted 4 years. I don't recall Dak's camp ever wanting a 5 year deal unless I missed that.

Yes, but again, it depends on the structure of the deal. We've been over this many times already. What is the point here?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
That's perfectly fine. That 5th year would be all non-guaranteed funny money. He'll be either extended or cut when his guarantees run out well before that 5th year anyway.
We don't have any idea (I think) how much he's asking to be guaranteed. That could be as much a sticking point as the 5th year. He could be asking for 4/$140 or 5/$185 100% guaranteed for all we know.

JBS

Reaction score
Obviously dak is being more than fair here.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Who knows? But the article did state this was a rumor.

OK, so we are either going to say, "Oh, it's a rumor, nothing to see here" and move along or we are going to discuss this for another 12 pages. Where do you see this going?

So again I ask, what has changed from then to now?