Twitter: Fish: Dak wants $45m in 5th year

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Damn, Sidney Crosby . a team captain and 3 time champion gets $8.7 a year, this guy hasnt won anything and wants the moon.

Sydla

Reaction score
Isn't that how much of these contracts are structured though? With a high last year of the deal?

Cap hit wise.

Not cash wise. Look at Matt Ryan. His cap hit in 2022 is $41MM. But only $23.75MM is actual cash paid in the form of salary of $16.25MM and a roster bonus of $7.5MM. The rest is his signing bonus prorated, restructured amounts, etc.

What Dak's agents seem to be asking for here is if the Cowboys want a 5th year, they are going to have to pay Dak a crap ton of money in that 5th year in the form of base salary and possibly roster bonus that total $45MM in cash paid to their client that year.

In that case, Dak's cap hit that last year could be well over $50MM in that 5th year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Deadlines usually make deals so we’ll see what happens by July 15. After that he’ll either have to play on the tag or sit out and lose $31 million. It’s not like he can sit out the first couple of games and get a new deal. Can’t negotiate a new contract until next year. It’s play on the tag or nothing after July 15.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that’s what Dak is looking for he’ll be playing on the tag this season. His price seems to be going higher and higher. He’ll be looking for $50 million before long.
Could be what he wants. He pockets 31.4M this season and is either tagged next season for north of 35M or he's a FA while possibly Mahomes and Watson get new deals.

The Joneses are pathetic. They're like the guy that keeps proposing to the girl and she keeps saying maybe. They should have backed off after the tag and let it lay in his court but they're really lousy negotiators and keep telling everyone at work that the girl is going to marry them.

Prescott is going to get what he wants and they will try and make it look like they didn't roll over. They're the clown act at their own Big Top.

817Gill

Reaction score
This post will most likely be ignored due to the logic as emotion gets more looks here but I literally posted a thread about this with the breakdowns of a 4 v 5 year deal. BASED ON THE DEAL FISHER PREVIOUSLY REPORTED: This is the 5 year breakdown the Cowboys are CURRENTLY offering:

Y1: 27M

Y2: 31M

Y3: 35M

Y4: 39M

Y5: 43M

IF BOTH OF FISHERS REPORTS ARE TRUE, this deal is 2 measly Million dollars apart. If you believe this report from Fisher then you believe the 5Y/35M 106-110M dollar deal he reported a few weeks ago. I made a whole thread on this with a picture of the breakdown from Cowboys Report.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I know a 5 year is better for dallas and thats what they want. At the same time if they haven't won a sb after year 4 they're not going to in the next 10 years.

Just get the deal done! Lol

John813

Reaction score
I don't think neither Ben or Kirk will be around to see that money. Kirk maybe, but it will be restructured into a signing bonus. I also, do not anticipate the cap going up as the NFL is projecting.

Yea probably not or a new deal for more guarantees and smaller cap hits.

I would assume Daks deal would be handled the same way if the team still wants to keep him

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
I can’t believe there are fans on here who are ok with this. You think Dak is worth 30/year...fine. But now it seems that some are fine with giving him whatever number he asks for? Why?

What’s the limit here? 55/year? That’s be fine because in 10 years it may be a bargain? 45/year is a stupid figure no matter what side of the Dak fence you’re on. I don’t think Dak is worth what he’s asking but I do realize there’s a floor to what they can offer.

There has to be a ceiling as well.

I swear the only fans that should be ok with this are fans of opposing teams. Jeez.

Brax

Reaction score
Hopefully it makes them understand they should sign him to a 4 year deal.
Jerry loves the publicity and attention so just wait till the 7-14/7-15 your wish just might come true. Smart path is really hold pat and let him play on the tag.

Sydla

Reaction score
It doesn't but that's irrelevant. Him wanting a $45 million base salary in 2024 is completely irrelevant in regards to the guarantees or initial 3 year cash flow. Fifty year salary is all funny money. His guarantees and cash flow aren't linked to his 2024 salary in any way.

But by doing that, Dak is putting Dallas in a bind. If they give him that $45MM base salary in year 5 (that largely will not be guaranteed at inception), when Year 5 comes they have a dilemma.

- They could cut him to save the cap space but then would they do that if Dak is really good?

- They could restructure or extend but 1) Dak would have zero reason to extend because he's set to make $45MM in one season and then try to rake them over the coals in a new deal again 2) the Cowboys would have to drop their pants likely even more to get Dak to extend.

So the agents saying we will give you the 5th year at a ridiculous base salary (or roster bonus and base salary) is not much different than demanding a 4th year contract. Frankly, a 5th year at $45MM is even a better gig for Dak than a 4 year contract.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Could be what he wants. He pockets 31.4M this season and is either tagged next season for north of 35M or he's a FA while possibly Mahomes and Watson get new deals.

The Joneses are pathetic. They're like the guy that keeps proposing to the girl and she keeps saying maybe. They should have backed off after the tag and let it lay in his court but they're really lousy negotiators and keep telling everyone at work that the girl is going to marry them.

Prescott is going to get what he wants and they will try and make it look like they didn't roll over. They're the clown act at their own Big Top.

The only thing I blame the Joneses for is not trying to get a deal a lot sooner. They’ve sat around allowing other QBs to re-sign driving up the market. The market is just going to be driven up even higher once Mahomes and Watson sign. If the reports are accurate Dak is asking for an unreasonable amount of money.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That 5th year will jack with the guarantee. That's all he can really count on anyway. If the old deal was a guarantee of 105 on a 4 year, then the new guarantee would be in the neighborhood of 130M.

The goal of the NFLPA and every agent has been to get the guarantees up and that is exactly what the owners don't want.

Sydla

Reaction score
Exactly. This really shouldn't shock anyone, because if, as has been reported, the hangup is the 5th year, the entire point of Dak wanting to stick to 4 years is so he can take advantage of the then current market when that 5th year rolls around. Accordingly, if the team wants to get that extra year there would need to be added incentive for
Dak to agree to it. Otherwise, just do the 4 year deal at a prices a little above what Wentz and Goff got for their 4 year deals.

But the problem is that in handing Dak that 5th year at $45MM, it kind of defeats the purpose of why Dallas wants that 5th year anyway.

Basically Dak is wanting his cake and eat it too. He's trying to make that 5th year so unpleasant for the Cowboys that they cave and go to a 4 year deal, at least.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dak being all that and not having a contract means nothing lol

Why doesnt mahomes have a long term contract?

At least make good arguments

I don't get this statement? Mahomes is under contract right now. The team will likely get him signed as soon as they see where Dak lands. At least, that's my guess.

Sydla

Reaction score
This post will most likely be ignored due to the logic as emotion gets more looks here but I literally posted a thread about this with the breakdowns of a 4 v 5 year deal. BASED ON THE DEAL FISHER PREVIOUSLY REPORTED: This is the 5 year breakdown the Cowboys are CURRENTLY offering:

Y1: 27M

Y2: 31M

Y3: 35M

Y4: 39M

Y5: 43M

IF BOTH OF FISHERS REPORTS ARE TRUE, this deal is 2 measly Million dollars apart. If you believe this report from Fisher then you believe the 5Y/35M 106-110M dollar deal he reported a few weeks ago. I made a whole thread on this with a picture of the breakdown from Cowboys Report.

Except they are not just 2 measly million apart. The difference is your Year 5 is a cap hit only. Under Dak's proposal where he would get $45MM paid to him in Year 5, that Y5 cap hit would have to go up well above $43MM.

817Gill

Reaction score
Also how has no one even thought about what 45M will look like in 2025? That’s gonna be like 36-37 now, that’s not bad at all.

You know how many QB’s get signed by then? Watson will be around 37-39, maybe 40 with O’Brien’s GM’ing. Pat will top him, then if Lamar keeps on he’ll top that. Not mention the 8 other young franchise passers and vets getting to the end of deals.

This isn’t 45M in 2020 sheesh.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the problem is that in handing Dak that 5th year at $45MM, it kind of defeats the purpose of why Dallas wants that 5th year anyway.

Basically Dak is wanting his cake and eat it too. He's trying to make that 5th year so unpleasant for the Cowboys that they cave and go to a 4 year deal.
It kind of does, though not completely. They do want that 5th year at a cheap price, but part of the motivation is also to ensure they can keep Dak longer.

Ultimately, I agree that this is largely a negotiating tactic for Dak's agent to get the Cowboys to back off that 5th year, but if limiting to 4 years is important to Dak, and getting 5 years is important to the Cowboys, so this offer expresses that.

That is, assuming this report is even accurate.