Video: Fish: let’s quit ‘babying’ Cowboys La’el Collins truth

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
With Collins on IR, Frederick retired, and Smith with chronic problems- one has to be concerned about this O-line. They'll be good, but don't assume they will automatically be one of the best in the league.

Reactions: BAT

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
As frustrating as it might be that this is more of a conditioning issue than an injury, that's still more of a positive to me. An injury is unpredictable and could be a long term thing. Conditioning means just lay off the cheeseburgers and fries for awhile.

Obviously you've forgotten that he had surgery this off season that limited how much he could work out. Right after the sugery it was beleived that he would start camp on the pup. Just how much conditioning was he supposed to do?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Sorry, I couldn't let this go. This is a horrible take.

Journalism is unbiased production and distribution of reports on current or past events based on facts and supported with proofs or evidences.

Let's make sure that we differentiate journalists and journalism and not buy into the fallacy of 'fake news'.

Yes and I'm sure you think that Skittles falls down from the sky when it rains. Journalism is a definition of what journalists do. In today's world very little reports that journalists put out are based on actual verifiable proof. 99% of them use the "a source" which they use to try to give their opinions and speculations some kind of legitimacy, but most of us see right through that. Now I'm sure that sometimes a source says you can use this but not my name but the reporter doesn't get that in those times the team is doing gamesmanship and want that info out there to throw off the other teams. But if you want to think that journalism is so pure knock you socks off but don't stand out in the rain with your mouth open hoping to get some of those Skittles.

Hardline

Reaction score
WW coverage, Me Lai, Watergate, S&L debacle, Pentagon papers, McCarthyism ...Your sentence is so much horse sheet it astounds reason.
Your post is so out there I don't know how to respond to it
McCarthyism? Ever heard of the Venona Papers?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder where Fisher gets his information? Did someone on the team tell him that conditioning was Collins’ problem? Did Collins simply look out of shape to fish?

He needs to say where he got his info from... or if it is just his opinion.

Without an off-season it was inevitable that some players would come in out of shape.

If La'el was "just out of shape" he would be in good enough shape by now to be active. They wouldn't put him IR to miss 3 games just for being out of shape.

Reactions: BAT

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Sorry, I couldn't let this go. This is a horrible take.

Journalism is unbiased production and distribution of reports on current or past events based on facts and supported with proofs or evidences.

Let's make sure that we differentiate journalists and journalism and not buy into the fallacy of 'fake news'.
Lol....journalism is mostly made up lies

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm talking about Journalism overall and it's a direct quote from Wikipedia.

The best journalism is unbiased, but there are exceptions to every rule.

Seriously, grow up.
News is a joke. If you believe most of it then you are just sheep. Go ahead and bleet!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Without an off-season it was inevitable that some players would come in out of shape.

If La'el was "just out of shape" he would be in good enough shape by now to be active. They wouldn't put him IR to miss 3 games just for being out of shape.
I agree with that completely. However, my issue is with Fisher. If he heard it from someone who would know then he needs to say that he heard it from a source. Or, if he just looked at Collins and somehow magically knew that he was out of shape, he should have said that.

He did neither. He just said, “Collins is out of shape. Fact.”

So, if no one told him that La’el was out of shape, then how would he know? Because Collins looked winded? Because he was sweating a lot?

Fisher has to know what the fans will think and what their reaction will be if he says that. I just feel like he should have someone who knows tell him that before reporting it as “fact”. ... and then he needs to reveal that someone inside the team told him that.

It just smacks of him trying to look like an insider instead of simply media reporting what he hears. It wouldn’t be the first time for Fisher to do that.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I wonder where Fisher gets his information? Did someone on the team tell him that conditioning was Collins’ problem? Did Collins simply look out of shape to fish?

He needs to say where he got his info from... or if it is just his opinion.

Naming sources kind of defeats the idea of having sources.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
99% of all journalism is opinion.
Even sports journalism.
They create a story instead of reporting it.

This is untrue. As a journalist, I take offense at the implication.

Opinions are reserved for the opinion page for true journalists. For people like Fisher and the other talking heads out there, I agree that opinion is prevalent. The same for 24-hour "news" entities, although some (maybe many) of those take facts and bend them whatever direction they want them to go.

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Naming sources kind of defeats the idea of having sources.
I agree that he shouldn’t name his source. I’ve already said in this thread that I don’t mean name his source... I just mean either say, “I heard it from a Cowboys source”, or say “he appeared to be out of shape to me.” He said neither but said that it was a “fact”.

I just wonder where he got that fact from.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Even sports journalism.
That's not journalism. Journalism is unbiased reporting of current or past events based on facts and supported with proof or evidence. How can it be unbiased if it is an opinion?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even sports journalism.
99% is an exaggeration. Sure there’s some opinion, but beat writers that cover the team every day rarely write using their own opinions. Guys like David Moore, Calvin Watkins and some others are reliable and are going to tell what they know and has been checked out.

Journalism is not opinion. In my life experience, too many people blame journalists for reporting things they just don’t want to believe.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
99% is an exaggeration. Sure there’s some opinion, but beat writers that cover the team every day rarely write using their own opinions. Guys like David Moore, Calvin Watkins and some others are reliable and are going to tell what they know and has been checked out.

Journalism is not opinion. In my life experience, too many people blame journalists for reporting things they just don’t want to believe.

Some in my field don't help themselves by interjecting slants within their work. I've been uploading a lot of Associated Press copy to our website since we subscribe to the wire service. What I've seen is a lot of subjective words or superlatives used that should be saved for opinion pieces as well as using one-sided sources that agree with the direction they appear to want the story to go. (A balanced story includes sources on both sides of an issue.) I either edit those things out or do not use those stories.

They are not "fake news" because they include real facts, but the angle they take on them tends to be intended to lead you in a certain direction on how you should view the facts. My preference, as it should be for any journalist concerning news stories, is to present just the facts and let the reader draw his or her own conclusions.

This tendency with some national media IMO has hurt the news industry as have the 24-hour news shows that are opinion-based. There should be a clear division between news reporting and opinion reporting but there's not.

I'll quit there because I don't want to contribute any more to this thread going off the rails. The above is just the opinion of a seasoned newspaper man.

Last edited:

Wood

Reaction score
With Collins on IR, Frederick retired, and Smith with chronic problems- one has to be concerned about this O-line. They'll be good, but don't assume they will automatically be one of the best in the league.

Smith chronic back has been around for years so no change there. Collins only gone for 3 weeks. So we are basically just talking about Frederick being replaced by Looney. I didn't think Frederick played that great last year and Looney (who did good job in 2018) is more experienced now. Also, from what I saw in practices McCarthy wants ball out of Daks hands sooner so that makes things easier on OL. They might not be top 5 but I still see them as top 10. The key is Zeke and how bad he wants it.