Twitter: Fish: MM, "we're a four-man down-linemen defense"

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You dont see odd front Nickels anymore. I believe we ran a 3-3-5 alot under Wade.

Wade used a 4 man DL on obvious passing situations.

If a team played 3 WRs on 1st down, Wade played 3-3-5 but the Nickel DB sometimes replaced an OLB and sometimes replaced an ILB (i.e. There is a significant difference in 3-3 depending on which LB came off the field).

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Our line in a 4-3 or even if 4-2-5 Poe law McCoy Gregory & d line draft picks is looking pretty

I don’t see getting a big name dend in free agency seem they’re banking on Randy being back and starting. Or Crawford steps in for him which is not good imo
We have to free our minds from how our coaches coached scheme over coaching player defensively. It doesnt matter if we land a stud pass rusher in FA we have enough stud talent to get pressure on the ball if the coaches scheme to the talent of the players. The good thing is that the coaches have already alluded to this....hopefully it comes to fruition.

Dre11

Reaction score
Both a 4-3 over and 4-3 under use a 1tech.

Modern defenses have evolved past the simple descriptors.

didn't mention the over front because I didn't know if ran a lot of it. But yes the over uses 1T as well.

Rayman70

Reaction score
lets remember sumthin too guys, its lyin season. I truly believe MM told Fish that about his intentions on the dline. Doesn't mean much in March. Smoke screens abound pre-draft. No one wants to show their hands fully. Will be interesting what this new regime does.

dwmyers

Reaction score
There are four man lines who play techniques almost akin to a three man front (Pete Carroll's fronts owe a lot to the 3-4 of the 1980s 49ers) and then there are four man fronts that are pure one gap 4-3s.
What are the interior linemen doing? Who is rushing? In your odd fronts, what kind of technique is the 1T using? All these things differentiate the front.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We ain’t getting griffin that’s a pipe dream. Poe maybe but not both I just don’t see it

Exactly.....pretty obvious MM and FO are not high on Griffin at all, otherwise, they would've already signed him. Fans/posters are overlooking 31 other teams are ignoring him for a reason. Who knows why but it's odd for a player to be as good as posters seem to think and STILL sitting on the sideline approaching the last wave of free agency. Just me but I'm guessing it has something to do with what's going on between his ears (lol).

starfan1

Reaction score
Exactly.....pretty obvious MM and FO are not high on Griffin at all, otherwise, they would've already signed him. Fans/posters are overlooking 31 other teams are ignoring him for a reason. Who knows why but it's odd for a player to be as good as posters seem to think and STILL sitting on the sideline approaching the last wave of free agency. Just me but I'm guessing it has something to do with what's going on between his ears (lol).
Yep that and what he wants to be paid

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
"we are a four man down lineman defense" ….until we aren't lol. MM isn't going to divulge the full plan to Mike Fisher. Everything right now is subjective.

Pretty sure Fish is just repeating what was said at one of MM first pressers with several reporters/media present. No way in hell Fish has lined himself as an MM media favor. MM way to smart......

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I believe it was said they would run a 4-2-5. So basically a Nickle defense.
Pretty much says...

If monster DT Javon Kinlaw is long gone by the time the Cowboys pick at #17...

Safety Xavier McKinney come on down... You're the first contestant to be picked on the Dallas Cowboys Price Is Right!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Coach Landry was an absolute genius...and a fellow Valleyite (born and raised in the Rio Grande Valley)!
As I look back at those dayss..

Tom was actually a touch excentric to me but in a good way.

His legendary battles against Lombardi, Shula, George Allen and anybody from Pittsburgh were subplots the current league lacks.

Anybody who was not around when we were playing for Landry does not have a full appreciation of who we are.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Did Mike maybe fib a little? He said he would not design the system until he saw the players we have. We don't know what this roster will look like so how has he already determined this is a four-man down lineman defense? Who are these four down lineman?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm not saying you are wrong, but as I recall the rationale for switching to a 3-4 was that passing rushing 4-3 DE are hard to find.
I hated when Parcells came in and went to a 3-4.

I caused us to draft Bobby Carpenter..failure.

It moved Ware to LBer and he was a better DL player than a LBer..

he fired Zimmer who was a damned good DC and actually deserved to be our HC than was Parcells.

Look at Zimmer now. One of the top 10 coaches out there..maybe higher. And he has lasted for years as a HC.

Think of all those HC coaching changes we could have avoided.

I rejoiced when we dropped the 3-4.

we could not man it, teach it nor win with it.

:(

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I think we still run some under in the 4-3, that where the 1T comes in
Hybrid that fits our players. Look for multiple looks. This ain’t Marinelli’s crap defense where we line up and hope to beat the man in front of you. Same goes for offense.

Regardless, MM and his staff is the fan’s Ace in the hole.