Twitter: Fish: MM, "we're a four-man down-linemen defense"

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
also, there's 4-3 alignments without a player in the 1 technique. the techniques pertains the numbering systems along Defensive line.
DT A.Woods is a "1tech"; however, he does not align in the 1tech position on all snaps.

Teams often play two 3techs on obvious passing situations. They still have a 1tech in their base defense.

Some teams do often play a balanced front but on run downs those coordinators still call one DT a 1 tech and one a 3tech because they don't have identical assignments. Technically they're a 2 or 2i when playing a balanced front but you won't hear a DC reference them as 2techs (again because assignments are different).

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I believe it was said they would run a 4-2-5. So basically a Nickle defense.

Yeah when I saw this on twitter it made no sense to me, can anyone explain? The strength of this team is the linebackers, the weakness is the secondary, so we're going to take a linebacker off the field and add a nickel corner??

Dre11

Reaction score
DT A.Woods is a "1tech"; however, he does not align in the 1tech position on all snaps.

Teams often play two 3techs on obvious passing situations. They still have a 1tech in their base defense.

Some teams do often play a balanced front but on run downs those coordinators still call one DT a 1 tech and one a 3tech because they don't have identical assignments. Technically they're a 2 or 2i when playing a balanced front but you won't hear a DC reference them as 2techs (again because assignments are different).

this why I said all 4-3 defenses doesn't have a 1T or a player playing in 1T, Where I coach we play our DTs in a 2i, and we specify any of our DTs , because they in theory depending on the defense play in multiple techniques. Technically there are 2 positions on the dline DT and DE.