Fish: No More 'Young Bull' QB Running For Dak? Here's Cowboys Plan

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No More 'Young Bull' QB Running For Dak? Here's Cowboys Plan

BY MIKE FISHER , APR 12, 2021
F36oL2hq-720.jpg

https://www-si-com.cdn.ampproject.o...v=a6&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=&jwsource=cl

FRISCO - Dallas Cowboys boss Jerry Jones loves the mobility that Dak Prescott brings to the quarterback position. And Dak enjoys it, too, recently waxing poetically about having been "a young bull.''

But the owner and the QB seem to be on the same page on the subject of Prescott as a runner.

They don't seem very bullish on it anymore.

“I’ve got to be smarter,” Prescott said last month after signing his new four-year $160 million contract. “Before the (2020 Week 5 season-ending ankle) injury, going back to high school I was told to be smarter on when I want to demonstrate my physicality or when I want to try to make a point in the game or change the momentum.

"(But) I have to be smarter. With this investment, with my health being jeopardized at a certain point, it makes a whole lot more sense to me about being smarter and why people have said that.''

So the "investment'' - the contract - means Dak is about to make more on-field "business decisions'' when it comes to running with the football?

We doubt that.

OK, so the Cowboys are going to suddenly retool their offense so Prescott doesn't run?

We doubt that, too.

Jones is worried, though, that if Dak continues to take hits, the Cowboys QB won't be around long enough to use all of his talents.

"I've always handicapped, to some degree, Dak,'' Jones told us, "because of the fact that he's so effective and has been in his career in the running game, and his ability to take it down and get the big play and get the yards. I've always known that he couldn't do that like that for long in the NFL.

"You can't do that.''

Jones cited one legendary quarterback of the past and one growing legend of the present to illustrate his case.

(Continued): https://www-si-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp/news/no-more-young-bull-qb-running-for-dak-prescott-heres-dallas-cowboys-plan?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=16182841799449&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/no-more-young-bull-qb-running-for-dak-prescott-heres-dallas-cowboys-plan

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So yes, the Cowboys will still use the read-option. And yes, Dak will still bust out of the pocket when there is an opening. And yes, he will still stand in the pocket and take a hit.
so what has changed??

"But there are certain plays, there are certain times that I’ll be a much smarter player and decide when to not use my physicality during the run, just taking care of myself,''

duh if he or his coaches or jerry had half a brain, this would be the case from the beginning.
keeping the read option is stupid, as it is ineffective most of the time, and that is not how a qb should run!

Best and safest runs are from the pocket if something opens up or if he rolls out and he can run to sideline, like mahomes does.

But the key is slide or go out of bounds, or just go down forward, dont take hits, it is stupid, even for td or 1st down.
Only in a playoff game should he maybe take hits for a score or to keep a drive going.

I am all for qb's running, as long as they avoid the hits, if they dont they will wind up like rg3.
When dak got hurt , he was running like a RB lol, trying to run thru a tackle, and that is why
he got his ankle broken , very dumb on his part and his coaches.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think he can still run, but he needs to know when enough is enough and just slide, or run out of bounds. Russell Wilson is a master at that. The injury he got was freakish, it could have happened just standing in the pocket and getting his foot caught underneath while being tackled.

ghst187

Reaction score
If he doesn’t run as often, his effectiveness will plummet. He’s not a great passer. Take away his running ability and I’d drop him from top 7-8 to teens as far as QB rankings go

fansince68

Reaction score
Dak must run to be an effective passer. Daks arm talent is not at the top of the heap. Im a firm believer that a qb should intentionally run an average of 5 times a game to shake up the lbs and soften up the middle of the field.

KB1122

Reaction score
The minute any running quarterback stops being a runner, he surrenders far more of his effectiveness than expected.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
This sucks. 1/3 of his effectiveness is his threat to run and making teams pay. Take that away and we got Andy Dalton back at the helm.

And of course this comes out RIGHT AFTER he signs his big contract.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
LOL...Dak is not that good of a passer but now will be worse?

Nah, Dak only led the league TWICE in tight window throws. Plus, has led the league accuracy in deep ball throws several times as well.

He can't pass. He will suck without his ability to run. :facepalm::muttley:

KB1122

Reaction score
And of course this comes out RIGHT AFTER he signs his big contract.

The Dolphins said and did the same thing with Ryan Tannehill (who was a good runner when he came into the league). Oh, he has a big contract now, we can't run him anymore. They changed their minds.

Aven8

Reaction score
Jerry said this right after the injury. IMO he didn’t run enough. The play he got hurt had nothing to do with the Oline. It was just a sliding leg whip tackle which happens a lot. If Jerry wants to change anything put in natural grass.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think he can still run, but he needs to know when enough is enough and just slide, or run out of bounds. Russell Wilson is a master at that. The injury he got was freakish, it could have happened just standing in the pocket and getting his foot caught underneath while being tackled.
True but it did happen, so what is in the past is in the past, but now Superman has been exposed/injured, so Jerry did not just pay his franchise QB to have him beaten up.
Sewell or Slater is the easy early pick for Jerry.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Be be smart about it, no need to stiff arm or truck anyone. Just pick up the first down and slide. The worst thing he could do is to let fear dictate his game.
I was a proponent last year that Dak needed to run more. Boy did I get blasted when he got injured!

But just running...isn't the deal. Run SMART. If you have 20 yards of open field...take the 10, run out of bounds...and keep them honest. Make them play that part of the field and open it up.

Run SMART!